New MB/No Boot-up

I replaced my motherboard, and intended to simply install my HD's and go. The
computer will not boot now. It gets to the windows screen and fades out
quickly and re-boots. It will not boot in safe mode either. How to I install
the new MB drivers and get the system to boot?
8 answers Last reply
More about boot

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    sandslinger wrote:
    > I replaced my motherboard, and intended to simply install my HD's and go. The
    > computer will not boot now. It gets to the windows screen and fades out
    > quickly and re-boots. It will not boot in safe mode either. How to I install
    > the new MB drivers and get the system to boot?

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You need to do a repair installation.
    Doing this will not lose your data or programs.
    Have a read here:

    "sandslinger" <sandslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I replaced my motherboard, and intended to simply install my HD's and go.
    >The
    > computer will not boot now. It gets to the windows screen and fades out
    > quickly and re-boots. It will not boot in safe mode either. How to I
    > install
    > the new MB drivers and get the system to boot?

    When I boot from my XP CD, I do not get the "setup" option. All I get is a
    full restore that erases all data, and a command prompt from cd.....that's it.

    "RonK" wrote:

    > You need to do a repair installation.
    > Doing this will not lose your data or programs.
    > Have a read here:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >

    > "sandslinger" <sandslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I replaced my motherboard, and intended to simply install my HD's and go.
    > >The
    > > computer will not boot now. It gets to the windows screen and fades out
    > > quickly and re-boots. It will not boot in safe mode either. How to I
    > > install
    > > the new MB drivers and get the system to boot?

    "sandslinger" <sandslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in:

    > When I boot from my XP CD, I do not get the "setup" option. All I get is a
    > full restore that erases all data, and a command prompt from cd.....that's
    > it.

    You apparently do not have an XP CD, it sounds like you're describing a
    "restore" CD from the manufacturer that puts the computer back exactly like
    it was when you got it, is that what you're using?

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

    You're right. I have a friend that has a retail version of XP...I will borrow
    that and see if I can get it to work. I thought about that after my last
    post. Thanks for your help.

    "David R. Norton MVP" wrote:

    > "sandslinger" <sandslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in:
    >
    > > When I boot from my XP CD, I do not get the "setup" option. All I get is a
    > > full restore that erases all data, and a command prompt from cd.....that's
    > > it.
    >
    > You apparently do not have an XP CD, it sounds like you're describing a
    > "restore" CD from the manufacturer that puts the computer back exactly like
    > it was when you got it, is that what you're using?
    >
    > --
    > David R. Norton MVP
    > <d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

    No, you cannot use your friend's "Retail" CD.
    You need to purchase another license and proceed
    with a "repair install". You invalidated your OEM
    Windows XP license by making significant hardware
    changes outside the scope of your original OEM license.

    Examples:

    Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

    Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "sandslinger" wrote:

    | You're right. I have a friend that has a retail version of XP...I will borrow
    | that and see if I can get it to work. I thought about that after my last
    | post. Thanks for your help.

    "sandslinger" <sandslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in:

    > You're right. I have a friend that has a retail version of XP...I will
    > borrow that and see if I can get it to work. I thought about that after
    > my last post. Thanks for your help.

    Carey Frisch has responded with the correct answer but before buying a retail
    CD I think I'd contact the maker of your computer and tell them your problem.
    I don't think you mentioned the reason you replaced the motherboard but if it
    was to replace a defective one under warranty they owe you a working CD. If
    you replaced the mother board that was not defective in order to update the
    computer, then you will have to buy a copy of Windows and go from there but
    I'd still ask the manufacturer to provide you with the CD, they'll probably
    refuse but give it a shot! Be nice, be polite, be persuasive!

    Good luck!

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <d_r_norton@yahoo.com>