Redirect My Documents

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

For precaution, I keep my docs and importante files on a hard drive
separate from my C: hard drive where I have XP Pro SP2 installed. On my
second hard drive (E:) I have a folder called My Documents.

I know that the normal My Documents link in explorer is some kind of
dynamic link because it points to Document and Settings\user\My
Documents\.

My question is if it is possible to change the path that the explorer
My Documents use to point somewehre different than the Docs and
Settings path.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Hi Dan,

This can be done using Tweakui - My Computer - Special Folders.

If not already installed, download and install Tweakui.
Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
and later
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
Windows XP

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For precaution, I keep my docs and importante files on a
> hard drive separate from my C: hard drive where I have XP
> Pro SP2 installed. On my second hard drive (E:) I have a
> folder called My Documents.
>
> I know that the normal My Documents link in explorer is
> some kind of dynamic link because it points to Document
> and Settings\user\My Documents\.
>
> My question is if it is possible to change the path that
> the explorer My Documents use to point somewehre
> different than the Docs and Settings path.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan

Dan,

See also:
Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org