Redirect My Documents

Hi,

For precaution, I keep my docs and importante files on a hard drive
separate from my C: hard drive where I have XP Pro SP2 installed. On my
second hard drive (E:) I have a folder called My Documents.

I know that the normal My Documents link in explorer is some kind of
dynamic link because it points to Document and Settings\user\My
Documents\.

My question is if it is possible to change the path that the explorer
My Documents use to point somewehre different than the Docs and
Settings path.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
2 answers Last reply
More about redirect documents

    Hi Dan,

    This can be done using Tweakui - My Computer - Special Folders.

    If not already installed, download and install Tweakui.
    Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
    and later
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

    TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
    Windows XP

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Dan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For precaution, I keep my docs and importante files on a
    > hard drive separate from my C: hard drive where I have XP
    > Pro SP2 installed. On my second hard drive (E:) I have a
    > folder called My Documents.
    >
    > I know that the normal My Documents link in explorer is
    > some kind of dynamic link because it points to Document
    > and Settings\user\My Documents\.
    >
    > My question is if it is possible to change the path that
    > the explorer My Documents use to point somewehre
    > different than the Docs and Settings path.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dan

    Dan,

    See also:
    Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For precaution, I keep my docs and importante files on a hard drive
    > separate from my C: hard drive where I have XP Pro SP2 installed. On my
    > second hard drive (E:) I have a folder called My Documents.
    >
    > I know that the normal My Documents link in explorer is some kind of
    > dynamic link because it points to Document and Settings\user\My
    > Documents\.
    >
    > My question is if it is possible to change the path that the explorer
    > My Documents use to point somewehre different than the Docs and
    > Settings path.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dan

My Documents Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP