ATi, s3, matrox, PowerVR vs. Nvidia, 3dfx

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well here go:

ATi - ATi is 2nd biggest 3d chip(desktop)and biggest notebook chipmaker for the PC. Going to buy FireGL cards. ATi current flagship product is the RADEON 64mb. ATi is soon to release a super charge or Ultra version of the card.

s3 - Bought by via. They where no.1 a couple years ago when s3 vs. ATi happen. s3 is a hollow shell of the great empire. s3 is currenty back with their flagship chip SuperSavage mobile chip.

matrox - Currenty right now only making cards for business users. There G800 should be out late this year giving geforce2 ultra benchmarks. Right now there flagship chip is the g450

PowerVR - Makers of some of Tile-rendering chips. Lately has become nvidia biggest Fear over ATi. Due to the fact 3rd party card makers sell there card like nvidia. There current flagship chip is the Kyro II.

VS.

Nvidia - the evil company. First the buy 3dfx and kill it fully complete. Then the release a new chip every 3 month making there old chips obsolute. Then they make the geforce3 not being able to with SSE2 then blame intel on it. There lower then rambus. Well check this link out. It shows them attacking the Kyro2 and Guillemot saying they cant make video cards.<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/johnrreynolds2000/the_truth.htm" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/johnrreynolds2000/the_truth.htm</A>

3dfx :*( - Nvidia is dragging 3dfx dead body with them to death.

!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I still think ATI is more of a competition to nVidia. Imagination tech dont have the business sense to be enough of a threat.

nVidia will still be no. 1 though. at least for a long while.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nvidia releasing cards every (6) months will not make their old cards obsolete. mainly because of the time that it takes for software development to take advantage of the improvements. for instance, we have only now begun to see 3d games hit the shelves that implement hardware t&l features that were available on the geforce cards. software production follows a year (at least) behind hardware advances and therefore my ddr geforce isn't outdated even though it's been out for well over a year.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
It's basic economics, faster cards brought to market faster equals better, cheaper performance gains for consumers. Its a dog eat dog world in the video card market -- Thank God! Who the hell needs another tech monopoly like microsoft or another giant market bully like intel. Ati vs Nvidia promises to be a fair, beautifully bloody battle. Personally, I'm looking forward to the carnage. Just remember, the more ruthless the competition the faster you Quake.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
HolyGrenade see the point nvidia is more afraid of PowerVR chips is because the No.1 card maker Guillemot is making a Kyro2 card. Who is to say creative, Asus, Leadtek could make them too and nvidia could lose alittle 3rd party support. ATi has no 3rd party card makers except on-motherboard Rage chips. Remember ATi is buying FireGL from sonicblue. The soon to come FireGL4 is going to be faster then the Geforce3 Quadro. So nvidia know they cant keep the share they have right know. 4 3d chip in a battle royal its going to be good.

!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Only in the low end market. ATI has the capabilities to make cards in the whole spectrum.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
There are already 3 games out that support programmable shaders and nFinite FX and other GF3 DX8 stuff. Doom 3 is the game I'm waiting for.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
really? what are those games and where can i get them?

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

G

Actually, ATi is still the 1st (not 2nd) by the sheer number of video cards being sold. nVidia was a relative newcomer at the time when ATi and 3dfx ruled the market. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Somehow I always thought that ATi versus nVidia was more like Intel versus AMD. Since when did the perception start to change? How did nVidia (and not ATi) start being associated with the image of Intel?

Leo

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18092.html" target="_new">Here</A>'s an article on how nvidia sometimes sucks. Well I am not a patron of nvidia therefore I say so. But news is news and facts are facts.

-------------
This site is cool.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by machow on 04/06/01 11:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

rcf84,

I respect technologies from both NVIDIA and ATI, but am not a die-hard "they can do no wrong" fan of either company. You on the other hand show such obvious bias towards ATI in your video card posts that I don't bother giving any point-by-point responses, this post included. And if you are happy in the "ATI-rules-all" world you have created--well then more power to you I guess. But if you want to discuss graphics cards with the rest of us then you need to drop your bias at least enough to acknowledge that both companies have their good and bad points.

"Nvidia - the evil company" - I assume that this means they have done some horrid things that all of their competitors are "above" doing? Dream on... Business is a cut-throat world. NVIDIA just gets more press because they are the technology leader of the moment.

Hey if I am all wrong about what I said to you here then set me straight. I am not flaming, and will acknowledge my mistake if proven wrong.

Regards,
Warden

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I kinda agree with you, so, you should agree that no one can blame Microsoft too don't you?

-------------
This site is cool.

mpjesse

Splendid
nVidia is not an evil company. They have good business practices. How can you fault a company for doing what they do best? No one can hold a candle to nVidia right now.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

I agree, it's no good badmouthing your competitor. It seems they, at nVidia, forgot how they used to be the small guy themselves. As a certain holy book says, "Do not oppress a stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt" (or something like that).

Or perhaps, they remembered it too well? Including how easy it is for a giant to be toppled by a small guy in such a volatile market. :)

Leo

G

Well I only sorta agree about Microsoft--there are some key differences between them and NVIDIA:

*NVIDIA has plenty of competition, whom it bad-mouths them and otherwise tries to run over--common business practice.
*Microsoft has no competition and uses that position to ensure that no new competition forms--illegal and anti-competitive.

*NVIDIA's technology isn't perfect, just like any other, but it is very good and innovative. They push the performance edge, and they rose to the top because they had good technology.
*Microsoft mostly innovates in ways to prevent competition. Their technology is a distant second, and in fact has been consistently worse that its main competitors. This is great from a business model point of view--Microsoft wins the market whether their product warrants it or not. But it is irritating from the consumers point of view who is stuck using their "end users are all morons let's not let them have any control over their system" bloatware. (Sorry about that tongue-twister :)

I could go on complaining about MS, but I will stop to point out that they HAVE done some worthwhile things, one of them being their work on plug-and-play. Also, NVIDIA could end up like Microsoft--not saying they wont--but as of right now their track record simply does not support the idea of their methods being equivalent to Microsoft's. In my opinion :)

Cheers,
Warden

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I like the second point, but I kinda disagree the first. Microsoft does have competition. They have Mac, Linux, Unix etc. But what is the key of Windows's success? The market. Most computer users are novices who some start from "How do I turn on the computer?" (sidenote -- that's me!). If you want a beginner to use the computer with Linux running I would doubt that know exactly they are doing in the computer. Installing a program could be a tedious task because they have to remember so many commands.

I'm not saying Windows has the best technology, but it simply meets the demand from the majority. Sure they are few kids age 7 who can use Linux or something, but how many are they? I guess we have to face the truth. If you feel comfortable using Linux then I won't feel like telling you to quit Linux.

-------------
This site is cool.

G

I could do without the bad-mouthing myself and it's kinda disappointing to see a company, who's technology is good enough to speak for them, still stoop to that. But NVIDIA has put their NVIDIA-is-the-best spin on everything from the very beginning, and I suppose they have to. The competition is plenty busy trying to make things look otherwise.

As I mentioned above, I really think that NVIDIA is no worse about the bad-mouthing than other companies, we just hear about it more. 3dfx, a few months before NVIDIA purchased them, did some pretty hard-core bad-mouthing of NVIDIA, saying that their technology was mostly market hype. We didn't hear much about this. Sure, the press is doing their job by bringing us the most info on the current market leaders, but don't let it throw you off. Bad-mouthing is bad-mouthing and if you're going to get on one company about it, get on all of them. To use one companies instance of it to brand them as "evil" is not a valid judgement, in my opinion.

Er, those last couple comments were just general comments. They weren't aimed at you, LeoKor, or anybody else in particular.

Regards,
Warden

G

why would u believe a respected company like nVidia would attack Guillemot about their card, and especially since its posted on a geocities site man they must have top notch facts there

G

Hehe, actually I am not a Linux user, though I hope to get into it someday. I like my games too much to go very far from Windows 98 for now, and I definitely agree that ease of use is very important. My main complaint with Windows is that power and in-depth features did not HAVE to be sacrificed for ease of use. The hardcore features could be there if you look for them, but invisible to those who don't need them.

As for Microsoft having competition, I guess we just see it differently. I would call Mac OS and Linux POTENTIAL competitors (for the desktop–-servers are a whole different story), but I think Microsoft's market share is way to high for the little guys to be any kind of a danger right now. Certainly they don't provide the competition for Microsoft that ATI provides for NVIDIA, which was, I guess, my main point.

Cheers,
Warden

G

LOL I completely agree about the geocities link. If you follow the link from machow's post on page 1, though, you will see that the Register reported on this same thing. That makes it SOMEWHAT more credible, depending on how much you trust the gossip at the Register. :=]

Regards,
Warden

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Give me ten minutes I'll go make a site saying 3DFX wasn't Sold out, it was all a hoax. And that the Kyro II will actually survive the following few months! LOL!

G

Don't forget, Elvis IS alive and the moon landing was a studio mockup. Here is the proof:

<A HREF="http://members.nbci.com/primall/mahir/" target="_new">http://members.nbci.com/primall/mahir/</A>

Cheers,
Warden

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Hey I thought the moon landing was real, but if a website says otherwise, who am I to argue?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
um S3 and Diamond merged and created a new company, sonic blue and they weren't bought by via (i dont think)

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s