System Restore will not work.

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

I replaced my HD and now I can not get my system restore to open. I get a
message Run a DLL on an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. I
had problems with the old HD and was about to go out. I am running windows
xp, sp2.
--
Vicky Deishler

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

I have solved the problem by going to windows inf file and sr.inf and doing a
reinstall. That solved the problem.
--
Vicky Deishler

"Vicky" <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have solved the problem by going to windows inf file and sr.inf and doing a
>reinstall. That solved the problem.

Hi Vicky.

For future reference with regard to System Restore you might want to
look at MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore web pages at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I had this same problem after my hard drive failed (C: Windows XP). I installed a new drive and restored the drive from a backup of my C partition and everything worked - except system restore. I tried stopping and starting the System Restore service, but that did not help. I discovered the following steps will cure the problem, though you will lose your existing restore points, which is not a horrible thing when you have a backup.

(1) Click on the Start Menu,
(2) Locate "My Computer" and right click, select Manage. If "My Computer" is not showing on your start menu, you can also find it in Windows Explorer.
(3) When the computer management window appears, click the + to Expand Services and Applications and then click on Services. You will see a list of all your services.
(4) Find the System Restore Service in the list, right click on it and select Properties.
(5) On the General tab, change the startup type to "Disabled" and then press OK.
(6) REBOOT THE COMPUTER (this step was essential to get this to work)

(7) Repeat these steps 1-5, only set the startup type to "Automatic" in step 5. There is no need to reboot again. Your problem should be fixed.

If you have large disk drives, you may want to modify how much space System Restore uses on each drive. I installed a 1 Terabyte drive and it wanted to use a ridiculous 12% (over 100G). I set that down to 1% and have not had any problems.