Closed

Selling on eBay rant.

Why is it that I can only sell cheap stuff on eBay? When ever I list a
game I get a lot of watchers, but barely any bidders. Like right now,
I have 22 people watching the Spy Hunter project, 12 people watching
the Pole Position, etc.

I don't want crazy prices, reserves may be a little high compared to
some guys selling the same game with no reserve, but I can't do that.
My reserves are usually what I have into the games, or what they might
be worth parted out.

Maybe I should just part them all out and sell just the parts. Seems a
shame, but may just have to do that.

Here's what I got at the moment:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmudmantim

Nothing is really special, the Burgertime and Pole Position work great
though.

Is there some sort of secret to it, subliminal messages in other ads,
do I not have enough feedback, what gives?
-Tim
25 answers Last reply
More about selling ebay rant

    I've noticed the same thing happens to my auctions as well. You'll get
    tons of people watching them, but ultimately many end without any bids.
    It's annoying to say the least, because you think that there is some
    kind of interest in the items, but then no one cares or whatever.

    I've wondered if it's the timing (people forget, or they're busy when
    the auction ends because of time zone differences, etc) or perhaps they
    find the item somewhere else or who knows. In some respects, I kind of
    liked it better when eBay did NOT let you see how many people were
    watching the auction, as you didn't have that subconscious feeling of
    "potential success" with the auction.

    If anyone is interested, you can see my auctions here:
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbj2m

    They are all videogame related, but I think the only arcade related
    thing would be the Bubble Bobble plush toy.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Alot of people don't like auctions with reserves. I personally stopped
    bidding on auctions with reserves but I do watch them to see what they
    end at and if they make the reserve. To me it seems to be a waste to
    bid on an auction when you don't know what the seller wants for the
    item. It's frustrating to end up as the high bidder only to find out
    the seller had a reserve set at twice what the item was worth. I have
    found that as a seller if you start the item much lower than it is
    worth you generally start a bidding war between a few guys who think
    they are getting a bargain and before you know it the item is bid up
    past what you were hoping to get for it. You are taking a chance on
    selling it too cheap but I have only had that happen to me once.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Hate to tell you this...but the lookers are probably us all checking
    out if something will sell and what it will sell at......I'm sorry but
    am guilty of watching what something may sell for that I own or may
    want to sell........I dont mean to piss anybody off by telling you
    this..Just being honest and I believe most of us do that.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I would start at $1 with no reserve. I've always got the most money that
    way for whatever psychological reason(s). I tend to pay more attention to
    no reserve auctions unless its a real find. I also don't take current
    auction prices seriously as everyone snipes at the last minute.

    Nice weather time is the worst time for selling games....the Fall is the
    time when people look for indoor activities...too many people are looking
    into boats and vacation right now...

    tim (NH)

    "mudmantim" <mudmantim@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why is it that I can only sell cheap stuff on eBay? When ever I list a
    > game I get a lot of watchers, but barely any bidders. Like right now,
    > I have 22 people watching the Spy Hunter project, 12 people watching
    > the Pole Position, etc.
    >
    > I don't want crazy prices, reserves may be a little high compared to
    > some guys selling the same game with no reserve, but I can't do that.
    > My reserves are usually what I have into the games, or what they might
    > be worth parted out.
    >
    > Maybe I should just part them all out and sell just the parts. Seems a
    > shame, but may just have to do that.
    >
    > Here's what I got at the moment:
    > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmudmantim
    >
    > Nothing is really special, the Burgertime and Pole Position work great
    > though.
    >
    > Is there some sort of secret to it, subliminal messages in other ads,
    > do I not have enough feedback, what gives?
    > -Tim

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I normally don't reply to threads like this, but you asked....

    Your games are overpriced for the condition they're in. Nobody is going to
    pay $450 for a Pole Position with broken cab corners, a short in the sound,
    cigarette burns, and scratches, a flaking bezel, and shoddy cab repair work.
    $250 maybe. The website where your pics are hosted is slow and time
    consuming to use. You should've just taken better pics and hosted them
    through E-bay instead of trying to save $$$ hosting them offsite. People
    don't like to hassle with jumping through hoops to see your items. You also
    offer no real help in shipping the games other than stating you'll be there
    when the shipper shows up. You can't crate? You won't even bother to wrap
    and strap to a pallet? Those things combined pretty much turn 99% of the
    real buyers away. The remaining 1% only buy if they're either really looking
    for that game or it's really cheap.

    The Gaplus is a broken, water damaged project that you've got a $400 price
    on. Again, too high of a price. Also, most people don't want games with
    water damage. Why should they go through all the expense of either having it
    shipped or driving over to pick it up when they can just hold out for a much
    better game for a little more cash? The marquee is also totally shot and
    thats the single hardest piece to find for that game. You know the condition
    of the games better than anyone here. Be honest. Would YOU pay $400 +
    shipping for that Gaplus? That Gaplus is more like a $100 game only if
    somebody wanted to take that project on.

    Your Burgertime add pretty much kills that auction. Why would I or anybody
    else pay $650 for your game when you admit to having a better one that your
    keeping? That already makes me feel like I'm buying 2nd rate stuff. You
    already admit that there's better ones out there, then ask why would you
    spend the money on an awesome one instead of buying your average one? Well,
    because in the collecting market, condition is everything. Most people buy
    multi games now. Anybody looking to buy a dedicated game is looking to get
    one in as good a condition as possible. People that buy games in average
    condition typically do so because they're looking for a good deal. $650 is
    not a good deal. $450 is more of a good deal for that game.

    $400 for a water damaged Asteroids Deluxe? I've seen near mint ones go for
    $500. Again, why would I or anybody else want to spend $400 + shipping on a
    water damaged problem game that will require completely gutting it and
    transferring all of the components into a better cab? Where is the average
    person going to get a better cabinet anyway? Usually, a better cabinet
    already has a working game in it anyway. Even if the better game does not
    work, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper to simply fix it instead of buying
    yours. That AD is worth about $200 parted out.

    To sum it up....

    1) Your prices are way too high for the condition the equipment is in.
    2) Your ads have poor pics.
    3) The picture service that hosts the other pics is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too
    slow.
    4) You don't offer any real help in shipping.
    5) Most average people don't have the time, skill, or parts needed to take
    your projects and make games out of them.
    6) Collectors that do have the time, skill, and parts already either have
    those games or know where to get much better ones for a lot less $$$.
    7) It's simply all too easy for anybody to click on another ad to find the
    same game for either the same $$$ your asking or less in much better
    condition.

    This is not a flame. It's the reality of your situation as I see it. Just my
    opinion that you asked for.

    Brian

    "mudmantim" <mudmantim@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why is it that I can only sell cheap stuff on eBay? When ever I list a
    > game I get a lot of watchers, but barely any bidders. Like right now,
    > I have 22 people watching the Spy Hunter project, 12 people watching
    > the Pole Position, etc.
    >
    > I don't want crazy prices, reserves may be a little high compared to
    > some guys selling the same game with no reserve, but I can't do that.
    > My reserves are usually what I have into the games, or what they might
    > be worth parted out.
    >
    > Maybe I should just part them all out and sell just the parts. Seems a
    > shame, but may just have to do that.
    >
    > Here's what I got at the moment:
    > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmudmantim
    >
    > Nothing is really special, the Burgertime and Pole Position work great
    > though.
    >
    > Is there some sort of secret to it, subliminal messages in other ads,
    > do I not have enough feedback, what gives?
    > -Tim

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    i definitely agree with brian...prices too high, auctions uninformative
    and annoying with big bold font for everything. pictures should be
    visible from auction page. if you are in this business for ebay sales
    i would get out unless you have something going locally - you will
    never be happy with purchase prices unless you start parting out and
    even then it's hit or miss somedays.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Who assumes that watching something actually means anything? I have had some
    items sell for way more than I thought after being watched by 2 people, 2
    people that really wanted it apparently.

    <kEVINJ58@AOL.COM> wrote in message
    > Hate to tell you this...but the lookers are probably us all checking
    > out if something will sell and what it will sell at......I'm sorry but
    > am guilty of watching what something may sell for that I own or may
    > want to sell........I dont mean to piss anybody off by telling you
    > this..Just being honest and I believe most of us do that.

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    And CDS, I will change the font when I list other things. At least I
    wasn't in all CAPS.

    We are remodeling, so selling stuff on eBay isn't a business, just a
    way to say that I am trying to make money for the remodel.

    Maybe after the remodeling is done that is what I will do, part
    everything out and sell that way. We will have room to do that then.

    And as for reserves, I wish that I could stop using them. I don't much
    like bidding on something with a reserve either. But, I don't do this
    for a living, so moving stuff out fast to make room for more stuff
    isn't a necessity. And I would of hated to just sell that Spy Hunter
    project for .11 cents. I guess that I am just gutless. Maybe someday,
    I will give it a try.

    I have to agree, I watch things that I have just to see what they sell
    for. Doing it right now.

    Thanks for all the responses. You are all right.

    -Tim
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I lowered most of the prices, I couldn't lower the Pole Position price
    for some reason.

    I think I even managed to change the boldness on all the descriptions.

    Thanks again.
    -Tim
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Is there a rule against stating what the reserve is? I don't use them
    because I also find them annoying. Anything on ebay I sell I usually start
    at the rock bare minimum I'd take. Haven't sold any games yet. :) I put them
    in the paper for a week for $15 and have had good luck selling them that
    way.

    As for water damage, if it's just at the bottom and not all over the cab, it
    isn't too hard to repair with power tools. Angle grinder the loose stuff
    away, then wood hardener, screws, and rock hard putty. Sand level, belt or
    orbital, then paint. I did a really cool stone fleck on primer then clear
    coat you can see here:

    http://members.cox.net/rcbullock/index_files/Page507.htm

    It was all swollen and raggedy at the bottom. And like I was going to match
    woodgrain. You can kick it lightly and not leave a mark.

    Still got this game, sold the Spiders for $300. But it just needed more
    putty and sanding and paint. Rest of cab was really clean with the best
    K4600 I've seen. No burn, great pic with a fresh cap kit. I didn't make much
    money but the machine is in use at a birthday party style location so at
    least it's 'preserved'.

    > And CDS, I will change the font when I list other things. At least I
    > wasn't in all CAPS.
    >
    > We are remodeling, so selling stuff on eBay isn't a business, just a
    > way to say that I am trying to make money for the remodel.
    >
    > Maybe after the remodeling is done that is what I will do, part
    > everything out and sell that way. We will have room to do that then.
    >
    > And as for reserves, I wish that I could stop using them. I don't much
    > like bidding on something with a reserve either. But, I don't do this
    > for a living, so moving stuff out fast to make room for more stuff
    > isn't a necessity. And I would of hated to just sell that Spy Hunter
    > project for .11 cents. I guess that I am just gutless. Maybe someday,
    > I will give it a try.
    >
    > I have to agree, I watch things that I have just to see what they sell
    > for. Doing it right now.
    >
    > Thanks for all the responses. You are all right.
    >
    > -Tim

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    It's because the Summer is here and people have money for Summer
    activities.Most don't stay indoors working on games.

    <BensonBJ2M@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I've noticed the same thing happens to my auctions as well. You'll get
    > tons of people watching them, but ultimately many end without any bids.
    > It's annoying to say the least, because you think that there is some
    > kind of interest in the items, but then no one cares or whatever.
    >
    > I've wondered if it's the timing (people forget, or they're busy when
    > the auction ends because of time zone differences, etc) or perhaps they
    > find the item somewhere else or who knows. In some respects, I kind of
    > liked it better when eBay did NOT let you see how many people were
    > watching the auction, as you didn't have that subconscious feeling of
    > "potential success" with the auction.
    >
    > If anyone is interested, you can see my auctions here:
    > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbj2m
    >
    > They are all videogame related, but I think the only arcade related
    > thing would be the Bubble Bobble plush toy.

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    "I can watch a seller that
    lives not too far from me put reserves on most everything and expect
    big money. He hacks things together, your lucky if they work at all,
    most everything is basically junk and he gets his prices. Seems to me
    he just recently got around $450 for a Pole Position in about the same
    condition as mine."

    You've got to be talking about the guy in Lansing. I have heard nothing
    but bad things about him and the condition of his games. I am trying to
    remember his eBay name...skynetamusement, maybe.

    Mark
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    You mean skynetamusementcompany, from Mason.
    On here I think it's Greg, Greg Lafraugh, he has skynet games, I think
    www.skynetgames.com. He sells a lot of games to a lot of people,
    99.1% positive feedback, with a 635 feedback score.
    Might be him, can't say for sure.

    I have bought a couple from Greg and might be tempted to buy again in
    the future.

    Every once and a while he just so happens to have something that I just
    got to have. Just nothing perfect. Buy parts and put everything
    together so that it works and quickly sell it for a huge profit. Works
    for him.

    I will admit that I got my Burgertime from him and it never had a
    problem, not once.

    -Tim
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    you're absolutly correct.... I watch a LOT of stuff in order to keep abreast
    of current prices... Especially on things that I may be interested in
    purchasing in the near future (or even a few months out) or that I may want
    to sell myself. If I see it going real cheap I may take a shot but often
    times I just price lurk...

    yes, yes, I could always look through completed items, but if it's easier to
    just watch it then have to search through all the completed items that I
    wasn't interested int in the first place.

    steve

    <kEVINJ58@AOL.COM> wrote in message
    > Hate to tell you this...but the lookers are probably us all checking
    > out if something will sell and what it will sell at......I'm sorry but
    > am guilty of watching what something may sell for that I own or may
    > want to sell........I dont mean to piss anybody off by telling you
    > this..Just being honest and I believe most of us do that.

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    List your reserve amount in the description... this way you don't have to
    pay the high initial listing fee and people know what they're up against.

    "mudmantim" <mudmantim@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > And CDS, I will change the font when I list other things. At least I
    > wasn't in all CAPS.
    >
    > We are remodeling, so selling stuff on eBay isn't a business, just a
    > way to say that I am trying to make money for the remodel.
    >
    > Maybe after the remodeling is done that is what I will do, part
    > everything out and sell that way. We will have room to do that then.
    >
    > And as for reserves, I wish that I could stop using them. I don't much
    > like bidding on something with a reserve either. But, I don't do this
    > for a living, so moving stuff out fast to make room for more stuff
    > isn't a necessity. And I would of hated to just sell that Spy Hunter
    > project for .11 cents. I guess that I am just gutless. Maybe someday,
    > I will give it a try.
    >
    > I have to agree, I watch things that I have just to see what they sell
    > for. Doing it right now.
    >
    > Thanks for all the responses. You are all right.
    >
    > -Tim

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    > Why is it that I can only sell cheap stuff on eBay? When ever I list a
    > game I get a lot of watchers, but barely any bidders. Like right now,
    > I have 22 people watching the Spy Hunter project, 12 people watching
    > the Pole Position, etc.

    I watch tons of auctions. Often just to see what they end at.

    > I don't want crazy prices, reserves may be a little high compared to
    > some guys selling the same game with no reserve, but I can't do that.

    I think that is a large part of your answer right there

    > My reserves are usually what I have into the games, or what they might
    > be worth parted out.

    This is a very common problem. What a game cost you has zero relation to
    its actual value. This is not an insult at all, just a comment on human
    nature. I was an active stock trader, and people always used to tell me
    they just wanted to wait until their stock broke even. I watched them hold
    onto positions from $150 to $1. As far as the value of parting them out,
    you need to actually part them out to get the higher value. If you sell it
    complete, you usually sell it for LESS than the part out value.

    > Maybe I should just part them all out and sell just the parts. Seems a
    > shame, but may just have to do that.

    > Here's what I got at the moment:
    > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmudmantim
    >
    > Nothing is really special, the Burgertime and Pole Position work great
    > though.

    The Pole is a tough sell. The right buyer, and you can get $400.
    Otherwise, figure 250-300.
    The burgertime should be a fairly easy 400-500
    The Lunar Lander cab for $50 is good
    The AD for $300 is good. I would just go ahead and part that out.
    For the rest, selling incomplete or non-working games on ebay is always
    tough. Unless its something rare, you'll almost never get a decent price.
    The kind of people that pay high prices on ebay for games are the kind of
    people that buy working games.

    > Is there some sort of secret to it, subliminal messages in other ads,
    > do I not have enough feedback, what gives?
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I'm a watcher, and yes most of the time i don't bid is because i'm
    working when the auction closes, or like last night there was an
    auction i wanted to bid on but completely forgot about and it went
    cheap too. Really pissed me off. Never could understand the whole
    Reserve thing. Why not just make the starting bid what you at least
    want to get out of the item? Everytime i see a reserve on something i
    always email the person and ask them what it is. Then there are times
    i pass it up completely. Another reason i like watching is because it
    makes it easier to find the items i'm interested in just by going to My
    Ebay and going to my watch list. No sense bidding on it and get into a
    bidding war with someone if its not needed. Better to snipe it and get
    it cheaper .

    Mike
    --
    http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Here are a few tips, love 'em or leave 'em, they are what have worked for
    me:
    -Have your auctions end at night, more people are home to bid, also more
    people are drinking at this time of night and will bid higher. Seriously :)
    I have found Sunday nights are a great time to have them end.
    -Start the bidding low and have no reserve. You want people engaged in the
    bidding proccess early, not just watching. Every time I've started the
    bidding at $1 or $5, it's gone for way more and had a whole bunch of
    bidders. I wouldn't bother with Buy It Now either, that's proven to be a
    waste of fees for me.
    -Only sell working games on Ebay. Most of the bidders aren't going to be
    arcadeheads. You want people that don't know games to bid on it. Project
    games sell better through the group or on local sales list-serves like
    Craigslist.
    -Put up lots of pictures, close up, people want to see it all in your
    auction.
    -Don't go overboard with the details, they won't read them anyway and too
    much text seems to turn off people. Give a basic rundown, they will email
    you if they have questions. Pictures sell the game more than your words,
    this is a generation raised on TV and images.
    -Make your titles more attractive to draw people in and so people hit them
    on searches. Like you say:
    "Asteroids project in Michigan *Lunar Lander cabinet.*" I would probably
    have said "Cheap Classic Atari Asteroids Arcade Game" and then listed the
    details of your location and that it's a project in the description. They
    can already search by location, so you are wasting search terms putting it
    in the title.
    -Don't say stuff like "That being said, I reserve the right to cancel the
    auction early. It's just business." You have that right, you don't need to
    state it, and it sounds kinda snarky. I'd instead brag about your 100%
    positive feedback and that you are an honest seller. I think to some extent
    you need to sell yourself along with the item, make your auctions sound
    friendly, make someone feel comfortable spending a lot of money with you.

    Hope this helps, it's weird, but a couple of small changes in the way you
    put stuff up can actually make a bid difference in how it sells. -dan

    "mudmantim" <mudmantim@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why is it that I can only sell cheap stuff on eBay? When ever I list a
    > game I get a lot of watchers, but barely any bidders. Like right now,
    > I have 22 people watching the Spy Hunter project, 12 people watching
    > the Pole Position, etc.
    >
    > I don't want crazy prices, reserves may be a little high compared to
    > some guys selling the same game with no reserve, but I can't do that.
    > My reserves are usually what I have into the games, or what they might
    > be worth parted out.
    >
    > Maybe I should just part them all out and sell just the parts. Seems a
    > shame, but may just have to do that.
    >
    > Here's what I got at the moment:
    > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmudmantim
    >
    > Nothing is really special, the Burgertime and Pole Position work great
    > though.
    >
    > Is there some sort of secret to it, subliminal messages in other ads,
    > do I not have enough feedback, what gives?
    > -Tim

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Dan-
    That sounds like great info. I'll have to do that next time.
    I just thought that I would try to not waste peoples time having to
    read the description, by seeing a quick, truthful, description in the
    title.
    I am just kinda chicken to start something at $1 with no reserve. I
    can add more pictures and do without the buy it now though.
    Thanks.
    -Tim
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I fully agree with Dan. Couldn't have said it better.

    Brian

    "D. Halligan" <dan@DONTSPAMME_tabletmag.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > game I get a lot of watchers, but barely any bidders. Like right now,
    > > I have 22 people watching the Spy Hunter project, 12 people watching
    > > the Pole Position, etc.
    > >
    > > I don't want crazy prices, reserves may be a little high compared to
    > > some guys selling the same game with no reserve, but I can't do that.
    > > My reserves are usually what I have into the games, or what they might
    > > be worth parted out.
    > >
    > > Maybe I should just part them all out and sell just the parts. Seems a
    > > shame, but may just have to do that.
    > >
    > > Here's what I got at the moment:
    > > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmudmantim
    > >
    > > Nothing is really special, the Burgertime and Pole Position work great
    > > though.
    > >
    > > Is there some sort of secret to it, subliminal messages in other ads,
    > > do I not have enough feedback, what gives?

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Hi,
    I've made available a pdf ebook called 'The 37 Effective eBay Ad
    Writing Secrets' which I've been selling very successfully.

    It's the product of over 11 months of research and testing. Plus my
    personal experience of over 4 years of selling over the phone. The
    hardest way to sell.

    Find out more by visiting http://ebayadsecrets.tripod.com/
  22. Quote:

[...]

    There are people like myself that do sell on ebay and buy on ebay and i do hate those reserve bids! if i see a reserve bid then i just look on because you bid and bid and still comeup with have not reached the reserve bid...Just start the auction at what your minimum price is that you want for your items and you may see more bidders...Plus you will save a little money on your listing fees...
  23. Quote:

    Alot of people don't like auctions with reserves. I personally stopped
    bidding on auctions with reserves but I do watch them to see what they
    end at and if they make the reserve. To me it seems to be a waste to
    bid on an auction when you don't know what the seller wants for the
    item. It's frustrating to end up as the high bidder only to find out
    the seller had a reserve set at twice what the item was worth. I have
    found that as a seller if you start the item much lower than it is
    worth you generally start a bidding war between a few guys who think
    they are getting a bargain and before you know it the item is bid up
    past what you were hoping to get for it. You are taking a chance on
    selling it too cheap but I have only had that happen to me once.

    My senitments exactly!!.....
  24. alot of what i see is "feelers" seeing what responses come back to the price point. yes, it is a waste of time bidding on reserve items, i quit that ages ago. if there is something i have to have, then a message and hopefully it'll be mine, if not, i move on.
    listing items on a special "as low as" is where i see the "wasters" post for free or $ .99 listing charge, but it costs for the reserve posting as well.
    and comparo shopping to the "Buy It Now" price compared to real-world price points is useless, too. i've watched 10 sellers with high-end pricing and they post for the hope to find a noob or untrained researcher to pounce on. i'm with this rant and expect a longer posting. thanks for the room to expand on.

    airdeano
  25. This topic has been closed by Proximon

Classifieds Games Ebay Hot Deals