Sign in with
Your question

What do i need to capture wifi signals from miles away

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 2, 2013 6:31:43 PM

Hello,
i want to be able to capture free hotspots ( cloud, BT openzone, etc) from my laptop on my small yacht? What equipment do I need?
January 2, 2013 6:31:48 PM

Hello,
i want to be able to capture free hotspots ( cloud, BT openzone, etc) from my laptop on my small yacht? What equipment do I need?
January 2, 2013 6:42:01 PM

im no expert but i would guess some sort of industrial antenna or something of that nature, but you will most likely need alot of electricity for whatever you do end up needing
Related resources
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2013 6:42:53 PM

hotspots have a limited range lets just say 300 feet.
January 2, 2013 6:47:37 PM

It doesn't work like that, you might (emphasis on might) be able to pick up some wifi if you are docked, but the farther away you get, the more the signal drops out. The most increase you may get is a extra couple hundred feet at most (and that's being optimistic). Sorry, but what you are asking for is virtually impossible. Just do some google searches for wifi antenna boosters and see what is offered. That is about as good as it will get.
January 2, 2013 6:55:28 PM

:o  Really? on your small Yacht? Try just buying some internet jeez dont spend so much on yacht and maybe can afford some internet.....
January 2, 2013 7:07:22 PM

google this video it is called 1 man 1 jar, its a very cool invention this man made and it should help you solve your problem. Other than that all i can say is buy yourself some internet.
January 2, 2013 7:10:07 PM

The cantenna!!!..
http://www.cantenna.com/
Why don't you get one and tell us how it works. I bet $1.00 it awsome.
I lose a lot of bets though.
a c 406 D Laptop
January 2, 2013 7:10:43 PM

A business / consumer wireless network generally does not extend beyond 25 meters and that assumes no walls blocking the signal. A telecomm's (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon) cell tower in general has a range of 1 to 5 miles. That depends on the terrain, wattage, and the exact specs of the equipment used. Under the best conditions if Verizon were to put a cell tower at the edge of the shore (a really, really, really stupid idea to say the very least), then you can potentially receive a signal 5 miles away from land.

You, my friend, are going to need a remote satellite internet connection. Sounds expensive? Well, that's because it is...

http://www.groundcontrol.com/maritime_satellite_interne...
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2013 7:11:41 PM

Just get a cellular hotspot.
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2013 7:18:30 PM

This next topics has been merged by Buwish
  • What do i need to capture wifi signals from miles away
    a c 406 D Laptop
    January 2, 2013 7:20:40 PM

bucknutty said:
    The cantenna!!!..
    http://www.cantenna.com/
    Why don't you get one and tell us how it works. I bet $1.00 it awsome.
    I lose a lot of bets though.

As stated on the website:

WIFI HAS EVOLVED! THE SUPER CANTENNA IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE.

Also, it has to setup on-site where the wireless network originates from, not where you are.
    January 2, 2013 7:26:17 PM

Booooo, I guess I lose another bet.

Haha cantenna.
    May 8, 2013 12:49:51 AM

eric95204 said:
    google this video it is called 1 man 1 jar, its a very cool invention this man made and it should help you solve your problem. Other than that all i can say is buy yourself some internet.

Excellent suggestion! I'd forgotten about that guy and his offbeat contraption but you're right, it's a perfect fit for this fellow's conundrum. It's a good reminder, too, of the value of exuberant, fearless experimentation in finding breakthroughs that defy conventional theories. Thanks!
    !