Question about control panel overlays

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have seen repro control panel overlays and was wondering if they are
worth buying? Are they easy to install? Do you remove the old overlay
first? Are they usually well made and acurate to the original? I am
thinkking of getting one for my Gyruss.

kaz1961 wrote:
> I have seen repro control panel overlays and was wondering if they
are
> worth buying? Are they easy to install? Do you remove the old overlay
> first? Are they usually well made and acurate to the original? I am
> thinkking of getting one for my Gyruss.

Hi

Welcome to rgvac.

You will find answers to most basic questions like this doing a search
for the topic that interests you.

Your questions above have been addressed many times and recent too

Good luck

darin

I bought a Tempest CPO from Arcadeshop, and the laminate is already
split at the top sharp bend. Happened only a few months after applying
it.

I guess when they say "repro" they mean it even reproduces the weak
points of the original. I wouldn't have minded so much if it took
several years to do it, but it sure happened quick. Maybe I stretched
it while applying?

To have the best results (and it to look nice) you want to
remove the old overlay, clean off the old glue and beloved patriot
and apply the new overlay to the bare metal. Yes, *most*
repro overlays are quality made and if applied correctly,
you should be happy with the results.

Scott C.

kaz1961 wrote:
> I have seen repro control panel overlays and was wondering if they are
> worth buying? Are they easy to install? Do you remove the old overlay
> first? Are they usually well made and acurate to the original? I am
> thinkking of getting one for my Gyruss.

My Centipede cabaret CPO did something similar around
the bolt holes (took about a year). I know applying
heat is suppose to help it stretch/bend, so maybe I
will try a little more of that next time.

Scott C.

web.questions@comcast.net wrote:
> I bought a Tempest CPO from Arcadeshop, and the laminate is already
> split at the top sharp bend. Happened only a few months after applying
> it.
>
> I guess when they say "repro" they mean it even reproduces the weak
> points of the original. I wouldn't have minded so much if it took
> several years to do it, but it sure happened quick. Maybe I stretched
> it while applying?

I always heat the CPO with a hair dryer (not too much heat) when going
around bends. It really does help alot, especially around sharp ones.

Even CPOs applied perfectly crack over time though. No way around it.