STOS and AMOS game makers for Atari ST and Amiga

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games,comp.sys.amiga.programmer,comp.sys.atari.programmer (More info?)

Old timers are still alive!

Back in 1988 the Atari ST and the Commodore Amiga were the most advanced
home-computers available. IBM-PCs and clones were used mainly in companies
for business applications and the Apple Macintosh was much too expensive for
the average home user.

François Lionet (one of the founders of Clickteam) produced with
Constantin Sotiropoulos one of the first game programming language ever
written: STOS Basic - published by Europress Software Ltd. It proved to be
an immediate success: STOS allowed anyone, regardless of their programming
experience, to have their first sprite moving on the screen with a few
instructions.

STOS filled a big gap in the market. Home users wanted to be able to
release their creativity and produce their own games without learning
difficult languages like C or machine code.

http://clickteam.com/English/amos.php

Today, Clickteam is proud to offer the source code of all STOS and AMOS
products as a contribution to the remaining Atari and Amiga community.
Clickteam is also willing to answer questions and queries about these
products through our discussion forums.

--
*** REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT ***

Woodzy
http://rtdos.com/forum

"UN-official" acf webring
http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring

privileged, proprietary, confidential, or other wise private information.
immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this email by
you is prohibited.

*ProteanThread* wrote:
> Today, Clickteam is proud to offer the source code of all STOS and AMOS
> products as a contribution to the remaining Atari and Amiga community.
> Clickteam is also willing to answer questions and queries about these
> products through our discussion forums.

This reminds me -- for the past few years (on and off) I have been working a
suite of portable tools for working with AMOS and its formats. In
particular, amos_print can convert any AMOS source code to ASCII text,
including code you thought you had permanently locked. So you can get back
your code, even if you can't get AMOS running on an emulator and find some
obscure extension that you're missing.

http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/downloads/AMOSutils.tar.gz

Interested people can also look at
http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/formats/amos_file_formats.html

Is there anyone who would like to help out on this? For example, to provide
some of the extensions that are missing, versions of existing extensions
that are missing, or to port this thing to handle STOS code?

Regards
Stuart