Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DC between Canada (TELUS Mike) and US (Nextel)

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 7:59:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Anybody have any idea how DC between countries is billed? Any
additional charges, or is it similar to DCing someone in another
province?
--
HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,
whom agreed upon such an act BEFOREHAND, will see it.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 1:09:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

We as agents have been told that the charges would be .20 per minute -
and for people who know about using the dc nationwide if you dont have
the 10.00 flat fee added, its .10 per minute per parcipant


--
Social
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t120641.html
May 8, 2004 8:42:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

We were told we can NOT D/C with Telus, just with Nextel (and Nextel
Partners) phones that are on (roaming of sorts) on that network.



"DevilsPGD" <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:xEZlc.3804484$iA2.444054@news.easynews.com...
> Anybody have any idea how DC between countries is billed? Any
> additional charges, or is it similar to DCing someone in another
> province?
> --
> HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
> consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,
> whom agreed upon such an act BEFOREHAND, will see it.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 8:08:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In message <<-emdnQ5Z6fnE7QDdRVn-vA@comcast.com>> "Dave"
<djlipman@aol.com> did ramble:

>We were told we can NOT D/C with Telus, just with Nextel (and Nextel
>Partners) phones that are on (roaming of sorts) on that network.

Who is we?

I'm in Canada on TELUS, and I was able to DC to one of my coworkers in
Nextel.

--
'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all.
May 9, 2004 1:07:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Nextel US phones can DC with Telus and Nextel International phones in
Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, and Argentina directly, also with Mexico
later this summer. Roamning in all countries works, as well as emial and web
access. DC between Nextel International and Telus directly is not up, maybe
later.

Read the press release on the Nextel web site.


"DevilsPGD" <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:X8inc.4104385$iA2.479353@news.easynews.com...
> In message <<-emdnQ5Z6fnE7QDdRVn-vA@comcast.com>> "Dave"
> <djlipman@aol.com> did ramble:
>
> >We were told we can NOT D/C with Telus, just with Nextel (and Nextel
> >Partners) phones that are on (roaming of sorts) on that network.
>
> Who is we?
>
> I'm in Canada on TELUS, and I was able to DC to one of my coworkers in
> Nextel.
>
> --
> 'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at
all.
May 9, 2004 1:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Press release:
=================

Nextel Announces Another Industry First for Walkie-Talkie
Technology
RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 4, 2004--Nextel
Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL):

a.. Nextel Launches World's Largest Multinational
Walkie-Talkie Service through Partnership with NII Holdings and TELUS
Mobility

b.. Push To Talk(SM) and Data Services Are Now Available to
Nextel Customers between the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru as
well as between the United States and Canada

c.. Mexico Availability Slated for Summer
Nextel Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NXTL), in partnership with
NII Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: NIHD) and TELUS Mobility, a subsidiary of TELUS
Corporation (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU), today announced the availability of
International Direct Connect(SM) walkie-talkie service. This service
provides under-a-second digital walkie-talkie connections between the United
States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru as well as between the United States and
Canada. Nextel U.S. subscribers traveling in these countries can now also
benefit from data services, including BlackBerry(R) and mobile e-mail,
two-way messaging and wireless Web access. Nextel and NII Holdings also plan
to launch International Direct Connect service in Mexico this summer.

"Nextel is taking instant walkie-talkie service beyond
international borders with ranges of 7,000 miles. International Direct
Connect is nothing short of a wireless industry milestone," said Tom Kelly,
executive vice president and COO, Nextel. "International Direct Connect
walkie-talkie service is especially appealing to our customers who conduct
cross-border business in critical regions such as Canada, which is the
United States' largest trading partner, in industries such as
transportation, financial services and manufacturing. It is also of
particular interest to our Spanish-speaking subscribers with ties to Latin
America."

International Direct Connect walkie-talkie service provides the
same exceptional performance as Nextel's Nationwide Direct Connect( SM)
walkie-talkie service with connection speeds under one second. It is an
expansion of Nextel's current coverage in northern Baja California, Mexico,
which launched with NII Holdings in September 2003, making Nextel the only
cellular provider in the United States to offer cross-border walkie-talkie
service. In 1992, Nextel was the first cellular service provider in the
United States to offer digital walkie-talkie service.

With International Direct Connect walkie-talkie service, Nextel
subscribers can seamlessly send and receive walkie-talkie calls:

a.. in the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru -
wherever Nextel or NII Holdings has coverage - with Nextel or NII Holdings
subscribers, or

b.. in the United States or Canada - wherever Nextel or TELUS
Mobility has coverage - with Nextel or TELUS Mobility subscribers.
Nextel subscribers can now also use select data services:

a.. in the United States, Brazil, Argentina and Peru -
wherever Nextel or NII Holdings has coverage - with other Nextel
subscribers, or

b.. in the United States or Canada - wherever Nextel or TELUS
Mobility has coverage - with Nextel or TELUS Mobility subscribers.
For example, a Nextel subscriber working remotely in Brazil can
now have a walkie-talkie conversation with a Nextel subscriber visiting an
office in Argentina. Or a Nextel subscriber living in the United States can
send and receive messages on their Nextel BlackBerry while visiting Canada.

Additionally, NII Holdings subscribers can now send and receive
walkie-talkie calls with NII Holdings or Nextel subscribers in NII coverage
areas in Brazil, Argentina and Peru or in Nextel coverage areas. TELUS
Mobility subscribers can send and receive walkie-talkie calls and select
data services with TELUS Mobility or Nextel subscribers anywhere in TELUS
Mobility or Nextel coverage areas. Subscribers of Nextel, NII Holdings and
TELUS Mobility can already send and receive regular cellular calls in each
other's coverage areas (international calling activation may apply).

More than 90 percent of Nextel customers have enabled Nationwide
Direct Connect walkie-talkie service on their accounts. Nationwide Direct
Connect, which has been available in all markets served by Nextel and Nextel
Partners for almost a year, allows users to connect coast-to-coast in under
one second.

Nextel, NII Holdings and TELUS Mobility operate on Motorola's
iDEN (integrated Digital Enhanced Network) technology, which provides
superior digital voice quality, security, reception and reliability.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a FORTUNE 200 company based in Reston,
Va., is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network
in the country covering thousands of communities across the United States.
Today 95 percent of FORTUNE 500(R) companies are Nextel customers. Nextel
and Nextel Partners, Inc. currently serve 294 of the top 300 U.S. markets
where approximately 251 million people live or work.

About NII Holdings

NII Holdings, Inc., a publicly held company based in Reston,
Va., is a leading provider of mobile communications for business customers
in Latin America. NII Holdings, Inc. has operations in Argentina, Brazil,
Mexico and Peru, offering a fully integrated wireless communications tool
with digital cellular service, text/numeric paging, wireless Internet access
and Nextel Direct Connect(R), a digital two-way radio feature. NII Holdings,
Inc. trades on the NASDAQ market under the symbol NIHD. Visit the Company's
website at http://www.nii.com.

About TELUS Mobility

TELUS Mobility, a subsidiary of TELUS, provides its more than 3
million clients across Canada with a full suite of wireless voice, Internet
and data services through its PCS and Mike digital wireless networks.
Together with Spotnik Mobile, TELUS Mobility is building a national network
of Hotspots in premium locations such as transportation facilities, hotels,
conference centers, commercial properties and cafes. For more about TELUS
Mobility products please visit TELUSMobility.com.

TELUS (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU) is the largest telecommunications
company in Western Canada and the second largest in the country, with over
$7 billion of annual revenue, 4.9 million network access lines and 3.3
million wireless subscribers. The company provides subscribers with a full
range of telecommunications products and services including data, voice and
wireless services across Canada, utilizing next generation
internet-protocol-based network technologies. TELUS was a premier founding
supporter of the successful bid to bring the 2010 Winter Olympic and
Paralympic Games to Canada.

About Nextel Partners

Nextel Partners, Inc., (Nasdaq:NXTP), based in Kirkland, Wash.,
has the exclusive right to provide digital wireless communications services
using the Nextel brand name in mid-sized and rural markets in 31 states
where approximately 53 million people reside. Nextel Partners offers its
customers the same fully integrated, digital wireless communications
services available from Nextel Communications (Nextel), including Nationwide
Direct Connect(SM), cellular voice, cellular wireless Internet access and
short messaging, all in a single wireless phone. Nextel Partners customers
can seamlessly access these services anywhere on Nextel's or Nextel
Partners' all-digital wireless network, which currently covers 294 of the
top 300 U.S. markets. To learn more about Nextel Partners, visit
www.nextelpartners.com.

CONTACT: Nextel Communications, Inc.
Media Contact:
Aaron Radelet, 703-433-8246
Investor Contact:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300

SOURCE: Nextel Communications, Inc.



"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation
Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding Nextel
Communications's business which are not historical facts are
"forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a
discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results
to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk
Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently
ended fiscal year.



"Larry" <me@myhome.xyz> wrote in message
news:22qnc.111148$f_5.36501@lakeread01...
> Nextel US phones can DC with Telus and Nextel International phones in
> Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, and Argentina directly, also with Mexico
> later this summer. Roamning in all countries works, as well as emial and
web
> access. DC between Nextel International and Telus directly is not up,
maybe
> later.
>
> Read the press release on the Nextel web site.
>
>
> "DevilsPGD" <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> news:X8inc.4104385$iA2.479353@news.easynews.com...
> > In message <<-emdnQ5Z6fnE7QDdRVn-vA@comcast.com>> "Dave"
> > <djlipman@aol.com> did ramble:
> >
> > >We were told we can NOT D/C with Telus, just with Nextel (and Nextel
> > >Partners) phones that are on (roaming of sorts) on that network.
> >
> > Who is we?
> >
> > I'm in Canada on TELUS, and I was able to DC to one of my coworkers in
> > Nextel.
> >
> > --
> > 'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at
> all.
>
>


begin 666 spacer.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 5:13:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In message <<22qnc.111148$f_5.36501@lakeread01>> "Larry" <me@myhome.xyz>
did ramble:

>DC between Nextel International and Telus directly is not up, maybe
>later.

So they claim. However, that didn't stop me from having a conversation
with some coworkers in Texas who use Nextel. I'm a TELUS user myself.

If anyone really wants, drop me an email and I'll DC you and see if it
works. I suspect that this functionality is being rolled out and may or
may not be available in all areas yet.

--
They'll say, 'You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny.'
I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.
See? Hey, why do you think they call him Porky?
-- George Carlin
May 10, 2004 5:13:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

I don't think you quite understood what I said.

A Telus user who is located in Canada cannot yet DC an NII customer located
in one of the NII countries: Brazil, Argentina, Peru, or Mexico. An NII
customer located in one of the four NII countries mentioned cannot DC a
Telus customer located in Canada.

NII is the separate company part owned by Nextel US (NCI) that covers south
of the US border.

If you are a Telus customer you can certainly DC either US customers located
in the US or Canada, OR Telus customers located in Canada or the US. That
has nothing to do with NII customers.



"DevilsPGD" <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:qHAnc.4166648$iA2.487680@news.easynews.com...
> In message <<22qnc.111148$f_5.36501@lakeread01>> "Larry" <me@myhome.xyz>
> did ramble:
>
> >DC between Nextel International and Telus directly is not up, maybe
> >later.
>
> So they claim. However, that didn't stop me from having a conversation
> with some coworkers in Texas who use Nextel. I'm a TELUS user myself.
>
> If anyone really wants, drop me an email and I'll DC you and see if it
> works. I suspect that this functionality is being rolled out and may or
> may not be available in all areas yet.
>
> --
> They'll say, 'You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny.'
> I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer
Fudd.
> See? Hey, why do you think they call him Porky?
> -- George Carlin
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 7:49:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.clearnet,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In message <<xDBnc.111763$f_5.42469@lakeread01>> "Larry" <me@myhome.xyz>
did ramble:

>I don't think you quite understood what I said.
>
>A Telus user who is located in Canada cannot yet DC an NII customer located
>in one of the NII countries: Brazil, Argentina, Peru, or Mexico. An NII
>customer located in one of the four NII countries mentioned cannot DC a
>Telus customer located in Canada.
>
>NII is the separate company part owned by Nextel US (NCI) that covers south
>of the US border.
>
>If you are a Telus customer you can certainly DC either US customers located
>in the US or Canada, OR Telus customers located in Canada or the US. That
>has nothing to do with NII customers.

You're absolutely correct, I misread that. Sorry 'bout that.

--
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section
in a swimming pool.
!