Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Recommendations. Laptop GPU for gaming, 3D work

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 2, 2013 9:34:38 PM

Military, Navy.
Upcoming deployment has me desiring a laptop since my tower is too large to bring.
Looking for a GPU to handle games and some 3D work. I understand they're limited in this field and I have no expectation for them to perform the same or near the same as my desktop, but I want to know what's my best shot for this?
I've seen laptops with a 680M, and would love to get it, though the price for the build has me by the neck.
17" is a must.

Any recommendations?
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2013 9:44:13 PM

What kind of budget?

January 2, 2013 10:16:43 PM

$1500 is the most I can go at the moment.
Related resources
January 2, 2013 10:47:25 PM

dpow86 said:
Military, Navy.
Upcoming deployment has me desiring a laptop since my tower is too large to bring.
Looking for a GPU to handle games and some 3D work. I understand they're limited in this field and I have no expectation for them to perform the same or near the same as my desktop, but I want to know what's my best shot for this?
I've seen laptops with a 680M, and would love to get it, though the price for the build has me by the neck.
17" is a must.

Any recommendations?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Has the GTX 675M which is only two models away from the 680M. From what I've read people are still very satisfied with its performance. Also has the i7-3630QM which should be more than adequate for games and some 3D work. It's right at the price limit but I think it's worth the money spent. It also has the Killer Networking card which is a nice plus, full HD screen (1920x1080), blu-ray drive, 12GB of 1600MHz DDR3, 750 GB HDD (which isn't really anything special nowadays but should be enough).

Another helpful resource is this website
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graph...

It shows you the performance of mobile GPUs in comparison to each other.
January 2, 2013 10:48:14 PM

Quote:
Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do..http://nipp.me/942n


You sir are not real.
January 2, 2013 10:52:32 PM

-Church- said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Has the GTX 675M which is only two models away from the 680M. From what I've read people are still very satisfied with its performance. Also has the i7-3630QM which should be more than adequate for games and some 3D work. It's right at the price limit but I think it's worth the money spent. It also has the Killer Networking card which is a nice plus, full HD screen (1920x1080), blu-ray drive, 12GB of 1600MHz DDR3, 750 GB HDD (which isn't really anything special nowadays but should be enough).


I like the specs and the price. I am just really on the edge here for that damn 680m. it has almost 3 times the CUDA cores as the 675.
You have met my question with a perfect answer and for that I am sincerely grateful. Please someone give me a good answer as to why not spending the extra $500 would not be worth it.
January 2, 2013 11:04:30 PM

dpow86 said:
I like the specs and the price. I am just really on the edge here for that damn 680m. it has almost 3 times the CUDA cores as the 675.
You have met my question with a perfect answer and for that I am sincerely grateful. Please someone give me a good answer as to why not spending the extra $500 would not be worth it.


It's really a question of how much you're willing to spend. If you can afford the 680M by all means get it. It's superior to the 675M in every way. It pretty much doubles the FPS that you would get in every game.

(Sorry for the shoddy image I just quickly grabbed it from a YT video)



If you can get it it's worth the money, +50% performance for only a 25% price increase.

The only one I can find thats 17.3" is this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's 2300 which is actually a 800 dollar increase which is 34% price increase for +50% the performance. Still a nice ratio.
January 2, 2013 11:16:45 PM

Islander92 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7970m almost as powerful then the 680m,

8GB DDR3
Bluray
Full HD
Good build design, Very good speakers and Mecanical keyboard

AND 1199$, so save some bucks or buy yourself a nice SSD and possibly a 16GB ram Kit


I saw that but I didn't know if he had the time to wait for it to come into stock since he is shipping out so I ignored it. But you're right. If he can get it before he ships out its the only card that comes close to it that AMD offers. (only 8% slower according to the website I linked eariler)
January 3, 2013 10:37:47 AM

my luck came through and I was able to purchase the 680M!
January 3, 2013 5:20:06 PM

dpow86 said:
my luck came through and I was able to purchase the 680M!

Nice, hope it fits it's roll well and best of luck on your future deployment.
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2013 6:26:09 PM

Sandbox or a cruise? Either way, be safe out there.
!