Basic Networking Problem

Hi !

I have 2 Win-XP Pro PCs on a workgroup network.

On PC #1, I want to share the whole drive D. So I setup the D: sharing
properties to "Share Name: Drive D", "Share this folder on the network"
and "Allow users to modify files"

Note that drive D: contains the "Documents and Settings" folder.

In that folder, I also set the sharing properties of "Administrator"
and "John" to the same as above (except for the share name, of cource).

Now, on PC #2, I'm logged as "Administrator", same password as PC#1 (is
that relevant ?). In "Network places", if I open :

"Drive D on PC#1 / Documents and Settings / Administrator" --> access
denied

"Drive D on PC#1 / Documents and Settings / John" --> full access

"AdminShare" --> access denied

"JohnShare" --> full access

PC#1 dirve D is an NTFS partition. Both PC's have "simple file sharing"
enabled.

What am I missing ?

Thanks,

The "Find names" button in the permissions dialog has a way to see other computers in the system, and their user list. Add the other
"Administrator" account.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message news:mn.a95c7d574aba9985.33676@msn.com...
> Hi !
>
> I have 2 Win-XP Pro PCs on a workgroup network.
>
> On PC #1, I want to share the whole drive D. So I setup the D: sharing properties to "Share Name: Drive D", "Share this folder on
> the network" and "Allow users to modify files"
>
> Note that drive D: contains the "Documents and Settings" folder.
>
> In that folder, I also set the sharing properties of "Administrator" and "John" to the same as above (except for the share name,
> of cource).
>

> Now, on PC #2, I'm logged as "Administrator", same password as PC#1 (is that relevant ?). In "Network places", if I open :
>
> "Drive D on PC#1 / Documents and Settings / Administrator" --> access denied
>
> "Drive D on PC#1 / Documents and Settings / John" --> full access
>
> "AdminShare" --> access denied
>
> "JohnShare" --> full access
>

> PC#1 dirve D is an NTFS partition. Both PC's have "simple file sharing" enabled.
>
> What am I missing ?
>

> Thanks,

Don't this button exists only when "Simple File Sharing" is disabled ?

> The "Find names" button in the permissions dialog has a way to see other
> computers in the system, and their user list. Add the other "Administrator"
> account.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi !
>>
>> I have 2 Win-XP Pro PCs on a workgroup network.
>>
>> On PC #1, I want to share the whole drive D. So I setup the D: sharing
>> properties to "Share Name: Drive D", "Share this folder on the network" and
>> "Allow users to modify files"
>>
>> Note that drive D: contains the "Documents and Settings" folder.
>>
>> In that folder, I also set the sharing properties of "Administrator" and
>> "John" to the same as above (except for the share name, of cource).
>>
>> Now, on PC #2, I'm logged as "Administrator", same password as PC#1 (is
>> that relevant ?). In "Network places", if I open :
>>
>> "Drive D on PC#1 / Documents and Settings / Administrator" --> access
>> denied
>>
>> "Drive D on PC#1 / Documents and Settings / John" --> full access
>>
>> "AdminShare" --> access denied
>>
>> "JohnShare" --> full access
>>
>> PC#1 dirve D is an NTFS partition. Both PC's have "simple file sharing"
>> enabled.
>>
>> What am I missing ?
>>
>> Thanks,

Default Permissions for Shared Folders Is Read-Only Access for Everyone:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328065

--
Mark L. Ferguson