Hi
I ran a FixLove Tool & it rebooted the computer which has Desktop.ini
Configuration Settings
file spread all over the PC.Should I delete those files? How do i get rid
of them?Can i do a System Restore?
Any help appreciated.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:56:07 -0700, Vibhor wrote:

> Hi
> I ran a FixLove Tool & it rebooted the computer which has Desktop.ini
> Configuration Settings
> file spread all over the PC.Should I delete those files? How do i get rid
> of them?Can i do a System Restore?
> Any help appreciated.

I'm not following how or why you're making the jump from running the
fixlove tool to the desktop.ini files? It is normal for desktop.ini files
to be spread all over an XP system. Typically, they contain folder
customizations. I've noticed XP likes to plant one in just about any folder
that you view through Windows Explorer.

Reading about the FixLove tool here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/fix.vbs.loveletter.html
The very last line notes that the tool will neutralize script.ini files
created by the LoveLetter virus. Is that what has you concerned? That's a
completely different file than desktop.ini.

On the other hand, if you feel more comfortable deleting the desktop.ini
files, you can. You will lose folder customizations but Windows can
function without them and most will be replaced as you access your folders
during normal everyday use.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Sharon,
My problem is that the last time i deleted those files my pc crashed and
kept restarting itself infinitely & i had to call a technician. I dont want
the same thing to happen again. I tried system restore and it reduced these
dektop.ini files but some of them are still there. Some of my friends said
tha t these files are indeed a virus that tend to copy themselves in every
folder. On the Technical Chats here i found that these files can be deleted
from Win Explorer but there are no such files listed on the left side (in
Explorer)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:19:03 -0700, Vibhor wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
> My problem is that the last time i deleted those files my pc crashed and
> kept restarting itself infinitely & i had to call a technician. I dont want
> the same thing to happen again. I tried system restore and it reduced these
> dektop.ini files but some of them are still there. Some of my friends said
> tha t these files are indeed a virus that tend to copy themselves in every
> folder. On the Technical Chats here i found that these files can be deleted
> from Win Explorer but there are no such files listed on the left side (in
> Explorer)

If it was my system, I would leave the desktop.ini files alone. As I said
before, they are a normal part of Windows. With default view settings - not
showing hidden or system files - you won't see the files in Windows
Explorer.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Okay Sharon if you think i should leave those files alone, i think i will
Thanks :)