Reboot

Hi
I ran a FixLove Tool & it rebooted the computer which has Desktop.ini
Configuration Settings
file spread all over the PC.Should I delete those files? How do i get rid
of them?Can i do a System Restore?
Any help appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about reboot

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:56:07 -0700, Vibhor wrote:

    > Hi
    > I ran a FixLove Tool & it rebooted the computer which has Desktop.ini
    > Configuration Settings
    > file spread all over the PC.Should I delete those files? How do i get rid
    > of them?Can i do a System Restore?
    > Any help appreciated.

    I'm not following how or why you're making the jump from running the
    fixlove tool to the desktop.ini files? It is normal for desktop.ini files
    to be spread all over an XP system. Typically, they contain folder
    customizations. I've noticed XP likes to plant one in just about any folder
    that you view through Windows Explorer.

    Reading about the FixLove tool here:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/fix.vbs.loveletter.html
    The very last line notes that the tool will neutralize script.ini files
    created by the LoveLetter virus. Is that what has you concerned? That's a
    completely different file than desktop.ini.

    On the other hand, if you feel more comfortable deleting the desktop.ini
    files, you can. You will lose folder customizations but Windows can
    function without them and most will be replaced as you access your folders
    during normal everyday use.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Sharon,
    My problem is that the last time i deleted those files my pc crashed and
    kept restarting itself infinitely & i had to call a technician. I dont want
    the same thing to happen again. I tried system restore and it reduced these
    dektop.ini files but some of them are still there. Some of my friends said
    tha t these files are indeed a virus that tend to copy themselves in every
    folder. On the Technical Chats here i found that these files can be deleted
    from Win Explorer but there are no such files listed on the left side (in
    Explorer)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:19:03 -0700, Vibhor wrote:

    > Hi Sharon,
    > My problem is that the last time i deleted those files my pc crashed and
    > kept restarting itself infinitely & i had to call a technician. I dont want
    > the same thing to happen again. I tried system restore and it reduced these
    > dektop.ini files but some of them are still there. Some of my friends said
    > tha t these files are indeed a virus that tend to copy themselves in every
    > folder. On the Technical Chats here i found that these files can be deleted
    > from Win Explorer but there are no such files listed on the left side (in
    > Explorer)

    If it was my system, I would leave the desktop.ini files alone. As I said
    before, they are a normal part of Windows. With default view settings - not
    showing hidden or system files - you won't see the files in Windows
    Explorer.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Okay Sharon if you think i should leave those files alone, i think i will
    Thanks :)

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:19:03 -0700, Vibhor wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Sharon,
    > > My problem is that the last time i deleted those files my pc crashed and
    > > kept restarting itself infinitely & i had to call a technician. I dont want
    > > the same thing to happen again. I tried system restore and it reduced these
    > > dektop.ini files but some of them are still there. Some of my friends said
    > > tha t these files are indeed a virus that tend to copy themselves in every
    > > folder. On the Technical Chats here i found that these files can be deleted
    > > from Win Explorer but there are no such files listed on the left side (in
    > > Explorer)
    >
    > If it was my system, I would leave the desktop.ini files alone. As I said
    > before, they are a normal part of Windows. With default view settings - not
    > showing hidden or system files - you won't see the files in Windows
    > Explorer.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User