Closed

WTB: Multi-QBert Kit

I'm looking to buy one of Clay's Multi QBert kits. If anyone has one for
sale please e-mail me with asking price.

Larry C.
Franklin, Wi

Larry at hermitcreek dot com
15 answers Last reply
More about multi qbert

    If there's another kit out there, I'd like one too.

    Thanks
    Jim
    jimsarcade3(at)suscom(dot)net

    "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy one of Clay's Multi QBert kits. If anyone has one for
    > sale please e-mail me with asking price.
    >
    > Larry C.
    > Franklin, Wi
    >
    > Larry at hermitcreek dot com

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    me too...

    Thanks,
    Matt

    "jrsarcade" <jimsarcade3(at)suscom(dot)net> wrote in message
    > If there's another kit out there, I'd like one too.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim
    > jimsarcade3(at)suscom(dot)net
    >
    > "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking to buy one of Clay's Multi QBert kits. If anyone has one
    for
    > > sale please e-mail me with asking price.
    > >
    > > Larry C.
    > > Franklin, Wi
    > >
    > > Larry at hermitcreek dot com

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I sure wish that I had one also.
    Thanks.
    -Tim
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    And.......Me too

    Thanks,
    Troy
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    ....and me as well. Clay, sounds like there's quite a bit of interest in
    this. Are you going to make them again?

    Mark Hooks

    "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy one of Clay's Multi QBert kits. If anyone has one for
    > sale please e-mail me with asking price.
    >
    > Larry C.
    > Franklin, Wi
    >
    > Larry at hermitcreek dot com

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Mark Hooks <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote:
    : ...and me as well. Clay, sounds like there's quite a bit of interest in
    : this. Are you going to make them again?

    5 people isn't enough for him to rerun boards... and from what I heard
    he didn't sell out, they just didn't work all that well and didn't want
    to support them anymore.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

    In article Mark C. Spaeth says...

    >5 people isn't enough for him to rerun boards... and from what I heard
    >he didn't sell out, they just didn't work all that well and didn't want
    >to support them anymore.

    So what is wrong with Clay's one ?

    - James

    ---------------------
    http://www.jrok.com
    ---------------------
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "jrok" <jrokweb@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > In article Mark C. Spaeth says...
    >
    > >5 people isn't enough for him to rerun boards... and from what I heard
    > >he didn't sell out, they just didn't work all that well and didn't want
    > >to support them anymore.
    >
    > So what is wrong with Clay's one ?

    (Weird, my newssever didn't get the original post for this...)

    In around ~3 years IIRC, I only sold like 25-30 kits total (and around half
    of those were all on the pre-order in the first batch!). There seems to be
    a *large* set of possible permuations with Gottlieb boardsets out there too,
    so I wound up having to find a couple "bad" ones that were the hardest to
    get the kit happy on. Most of the problem seems to be due to sloppy reset
    signals, but I've seen twitchy behaviour from certain 8088 chips too.
    (Anything that runs as hot as those do is not to be trusted. ;-)

    All in all, it was a lot of time to build and test those kits and it wasn't
    worth dealing with them for one order every couple months. When people had
    a problem it was a huge timesink to try to debug too, so I just decided to
    drop the product for the time being. I still have parts and circuit boards,
    so maybe I'll get around to making one last batch again sometime, but I
    don't see it happening anytime until this fall maybe. I'm just booked solid
    with other work. :-(

    -Clay
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Mark,

    I understand that. Seems like I've heard him say 20 or so was a break even
    point. However, newsgroup watchers aren't the only potential customers. If
    this many people come out on the newsgroup during the slack period for
    collecting (warm weather), there's likely others interested. I'd just like
    to get a re-run of these on his radar for later production.

    Mark Hooks

    "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
    > Mark Hooks <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > : ...and me as well. Clay, sounds like there's quite a bit of interest in
    > : this. Are you going to make them again?
    >
    > 5 people isn't enough for him to rerun boards... and from what I heard
    > he didn't sell out, they just didn't work all that well and didn't want
    > to support them anymore.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    > Cambridge, MA 02139
    > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I've been asking him to consider making some for a few weeks now. It's my
    understanding that he has the boards, but feels there isn't enough demand to
    put the kits together. I e-mailed him this morning after five people
    responded expressing interested. So far I haven't heard back. Maybe if
    more people express an interest on this post it will help persuade him???

    "jrok" <jrokweb@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > In article Mark C. Spaeth says...
    >
    >>5 people isn't enough for him to rerun boards... and from what I heard
    >>he didn't sell out, they just didn't work all that well and didn't want
    >>to support them anymore.
    >
    > So what is wrong with Clay's one ?
    >
    > - James
    >
    > ---------------------
    > http://www.jrok.com
    > ---------------------

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Surely other people on the newsgroup would have enough technical skill to
    assemble them for you. Sub the work out in other words ..

    > I've been asking him to consider making some for a few weeks now. It's my
    > understanding that he has the boards, but feels there isn't enough demand
    > put the kits together. I e-mailed him this morning after five people
    > responded expressing interested. So far I haven't heard back. Maybe if
    > more people express an interest on this post it will help persuade him???
    >

    > "jrok" <jrokweb@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > In article Mark C. Spaeth says...
    > >
    > >>5 people isn't enough for him to rerun boards... and from what I heard
    > >>he didn't sell out, they just didn't work all that well and didn't want
    > >>to support them anymore.
    > >
    > > So what is wrong with Clay's one ?
    > >
    > > - James
    > >
    > > ---------------------
    > > http://www.jrok.com
    > > ---------------------

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    ..au...
    > Surely other people on the newsgroup would have enough technical skill to
    > assemble them for you. Sub the work out in other words ..

    My experience is that doing the customer support is as much work or more
    than the hardware design and assembly. Once you get the first rush of
    orders over you've got the best users already and you get more people that
    need hand holding or worse. I actually got this in an email "It didn't work
    so I plugged everything in the other way around and now I've tried to go
    back like it was and nothing works" And I consider him a good customer
    since he actually told me what he did wrong. It's frustrating if your time
    is short to deal with that all the time. That's why I quit the 96 in 1,
    fortunately Mike stepped in and agreed to take over and field all customer
    support.

    Dave

    ---
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Surely other people on the newsgroup would have enough technical skill to
    > assemble them for you. Sub the work out in other words ..

    Sure, but I'd still have to kit the parts, program the PLDs, maybe program
    the EPROMs, somehow manage quality control, etc... For one order every 6-8
    weeks I just can't afford the time overhead at this point. Of course I'll
    still get stuck with tech support regardless... (Between corroded sockets,
    bad reset circuits, and battery-leakage damage there would seem to be a LOT
    of Gottlieb boards out there in generally poor shape!)

    I'll make more Q*Bert Multigames at *some* point, but I'm positive I won't
    make more this summer. I had 'em up for sale for three years, so it's not
    like there wasn't enough time to order when they were still available. ;-)
    Now I need to work on other projects and get some contracts finished off
    before I have more free time to mess with them...

    -Clay
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    In rec.games.video.arcade.collecting Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill@comcast.net> wrote:

    : Now I need to work on other projects and get some contracts finished off
    : before I have more free time to mess with them...

    *COUGH* Sega Multi-Sound *COUGH*

    :-)

    http://www.westnet.com/
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I bought one of the first one's from Clay and love it. Maybe if they are so
    tedious to produce, you should double the price of them. I'll bet if one
    surfaced on ebay it might bring $200-$300. Just an idea to please those few
    that still want it, but finding a way to make it worth the time.
    "Christopher X. Candreva" <chris@westnet.com> wrote in message
    > In rec.games.video.arcade.collecting Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Now I need to work on other projects and get some contracts finished off
    > : before I have more free time to mess with them...
    >
    > *COUGH* Sega Multi-Sound *COUGH*
    >
    > :-)

    > Chris Candreva -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
    > WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
    > http://www.westnet.com/

Classifieds Games Video Email Hot Deals Product