game software bottleneck

G

As shown by Tom, we have now seen CPU bottle-necking the graphcis performance.

AS graphics power increase from MX to GTS to Ulta the results get better

When will we see the games program being the bottleneck itself?

i.e. when CPU is all so fast and even the crapiest good graphcis card is all so fast!

When will this day be? will it ever reach this state?

Y bother to help he who never read MANUALS? <font color=blue> COMPASSION! :smile: <font color=red> Read it 10 times KIDDO!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Hmm.. unless the program itself has built in delays and such, that'll never happen.

Since the program is just a bunch of instructions, they CPU will execute them as fast as they can get them.
e.g. try running a game designed for a 286 on a Ghz Pentium/Athlon.. (I tried this with Paratrooper). You'll find that the game runs at an unbelievable (and unplayable) rate. Its simply too fast.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure programmers will find ways to make use of the time while the CPU waits for the graphics card.

For example, there are plenty of games that could use better AI. I'm not sure I want games that are more difficult, given my skill level, but it would be refreshing to see FPS's where the enemy doesn't constantly run in front of your crosshairs. Nor do I like the games where the enemy seems psychic. No matter how much effort you take to be stealthy the enemy always seems know exactly where you are. That's no fun, either. I just want the enemy to act like people, (assuming they represent people and not nuclear waste, zombie cyborgs. Who knows how they think? :smile: ).

G

I was not talking about CPU not being fully utilised, I meant when will one day games programmers making games in terms of graphics section only, is the bottleneck.

i.e. when will one day, when all CPU and graphics card are so fast that THG starts to see all results SAME and can confirm or start to blame the GAME as the bottleneck instead of the hardware!

This is a difficult question, I know, thats why I am asking, hope some game developer can answer this.

Y bother to help he who never read MANUALS? <font color=blue> COMPASSION! :smile: <font color=red> Read it 10 times KIDDO!

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont believe that what you are saying will ever happen due to the fact that the software and how fast it moves is compleatly dependent on the speed of the hardware when coded proberly to take advantage of the hardware. Now ofcourse if the code is just crap then you can have the software be the bottleneck (ie the data will not flow in a manner for speed and efficiency).

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
even then the programmers would add more detail and further depth (like being able to render the earth with all the detail you would see on the ground)

Your Signature Sucks