XP's Help & Support Center

I have upgraded my dell dimension 2400 from XP Home to XP Pro, when I open
XP's Help and Support Center I know it is suppossed to give you links in the
DID YOU KNOW? section, but mine won't do that I just get the message saying:

"When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the Internet
now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
connection through an Internet service provider."

I have done everything I know but it still won't show the links and I am
connected to the internet by an always on DSL connection.

Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated in advance.

Ludakris

peter

I've had this issue for ages and I even opened a support case id with SP2
online. They finally admitted that there is an ongoing problem with the
servers.
You could try in the interim the fixes posted at MVP Kelly's XP help site
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm go to the A - Z and then H and pan
down, there are a number of fixes there. They didn't work for me
unfortunately.
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Ludakris" <Ludakris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded my dell dimension 2400 from XP Home to XP Pro, when I open
> XP's Help and Support Center I know it is suppossed to give you links in
> the
> DID YOU KNOW? section, but mine won't do that I just get the message
> saying:
>
> "When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
> timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the
> Internet
> now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
> connection through an Internet service provider."
>
> I have done everything I know but it still won't show the links and I am
> connected to the internet by an always on DSL connection.
>
> Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated in advance.
>
> Ludakris

That's very interesting, Peter, since I've had the same issue for several
months, and none of the published solutions I have thus far come across have
solved the problem. (It's really not a big deal for me.) Could you share
more details of Microsoft's explanation?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> I've had this issue for ages and I even opened a support case id with SP2
> online. They finally admitted that there is an ongoing problem with the
> servers.
> You could try in the interim the fixes posted at MVP Kelly's XP help site
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm go to the A - Z and then H and pan
> down, there are a number of fixes there. They didn't work for me
> unfortunately.
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
> "Ludakris" <Ludakris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have upgraded my dell dimension 2400 from XP Home to XP Pro, when I
open
> > XP's Help and Support Center I know it is suppossed to give you links in
> > the
> > DID YOU KNOW? section, but mine won't do that I just get the message
> > saying:
> >
> > "When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
> > timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the
> > Internet
> > now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
> > connection through an Internet service provider."
> >
> > I have done everything I know but it still won't show the links and I am
> > connected to the internet by an always on DSL connection.
> >
> > Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated in advance.
> >
> > Ludakris

peter

Unfortunately I never kept the reply and it's not showing up in my online SR
archive for some reason. They basically said that they were having ongoing
server problems in Redmond (or wherever).
Mine worked for a couple of days last week...now nothing.
Maybe if everyone got on their case it might cause something to be done.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
> That's very interesting, Peter, since I've had the same issue for several
> months, and none of the published solutions I have thus far come across
> have
> solved the problem. (It's really not a big deal for me.) Could you share
> more details of Microsoft's explanation?
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> I've had this issue for ages and I even opened a support case id with SP2
>> online. They finally admitted that there is an ongoing problem with the
>> servers.
>> You could try in the interim the fixes posted at MVP Kelly's XP help site
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm go to the A - Z and then H and pan
>> down, there are a number of fixes there. They didn't work for me
>> unfortunately.
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>> "Ludakris" <Ludakris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have upgraded my dell dimension 2400 from XP Home to XP Pro, when I
> open
>> > XP's Help and Support Center I know it is suppossed to give you links
>> > in
>> > the
>> > DID YOU KNOW? section, but mine won't do that I just get the message
>> > saying:
>> >
>> > "When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links
>> > timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the
>> > Internet
>> > now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
>> > connection through an Internet service provider."
>> >
>> > I have done everything I know but it still won't show the links and I
>> > am
>> > connected to the internet by an always on DSL connection.
>> >
>> > Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated in advance.
>> >
>> > Ludakris

OK, no biggie. If it's an ongoing problem on their side, there may
eventually be a KB article for it.

--

> Unfortunately I never kept the reply and it's not showing up in my online
SR
> archive for some reason. They basically said that they were having
ongoing
> server problems in Redmond (or wherever).
> Mine worked for a couple of days last week...now nothing.
> Maybe if everyone got on their case it might cause something to be done.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
> > That's very interesting, Peter, since I've had the same issue for
several
> > months, and none of the published solutions I have thus far come across
> > have
> > solved the problem. (It's really not a big deal for me.) Could you share
> > more details of Microsoft's explanation?
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> >> I've had this issue for ages and I even opened a support case id with
SP2
> >> online. They finally admitted that there is an ongoing problem with
the
> >> servers.
> >> You could try in the interim the fixes posted at MVP Kelly's XP help
site
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm go to the A - Z and then H and
pan
> >> down, there are a number of fixes there. They didn't work for me
> >> unfortunately.
> >> --
> >> Peter
> >> Toronto, Canada
> >> XP Home SP2
> >> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
> >> "Ludakris" <Ludakris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > open

peter

"Eventually" .... <snore> LOL

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
> OK, no biggie. If it's an ongoing problem on their side, there may
> eventually be a KB article for it.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> Unfortunately I never kept the reply and it's not showing up in my online
> SR
>> archive for some reason. They basically said that they were having
> ongoing
>> server problems in Redmond (or wherever).
>> Mine worked for a couple of days last week...now nothing.
>> Maybe if everyone got on their case it might cause something to be done.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > That's very interesting, Peter, since I've had the same issue for
> several
>> > months, and none of the published solutions I have thus far come across
>> > have
>> > solved the problem. (It's really not a big deal for me.) Could you
>> > share
>> > more details of Microsoft's explanation?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ted Zieglar
>> > "You can do it if you try."
>> >
>> > "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> SP2
> the
> site
> pan
>> > open

Do you have a Dell or a Gateway machine? If you do, I wonder if, since I
know Gateway somehow links Help and Support Center to Gateway's HelpSpot
program that might be related to the problem.

All of the *.query files in my
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_32#0409 folder are
related to the Did you know? section of Help and Support Center.

For XP Home...
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Personal_32#0409

Just a thought.

[[A useful feature of Help and Support Center is the Headlines area. This
area is typically titled "Top Issues" and is usually located in the
lower-right corner of the main window, unless the window has been customized
by the OEM or modified for certain languages.]]
Help and Support Center: The Headlines and Online Search Features
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws03mngd/10_s3hsc.mspx

[[Direct Licensed Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) can pre-install
computers with customized versions of Help and Support Center so that it
includes information about the specific computer, along with the Help and
Support content provided by Microsoft. ]]
Description of Help and Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283372

Help and Support Center Does Not Automatically Connect to the Internet
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315955

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:exGKTShjFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Peter <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> hunted and pecked:
> "Eventually" .... <snore> LOL
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>> OK, no biggie. If it's an ongoing problem on their side, there may
>> eventually be a KB article for it.
>>
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>> "You can do it if you try."
>>
>> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately I never kept the reply and it's not showing up in my
>>> online SR archive for some reason. They basically said that they were
>>> having ongoing server problems in Redmond (or wherever).
>>> Mine worked for a couple of days last week...now nothing.
>>> Maybe if everyone got on their case it might cause something to be done.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Home SP2
>>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

peter

No proprietary brand...it's by a local manufacturer MDG but everything is
brand name, normal in all respects. I have a high-speed always-on cable
connection so the connection issue doesn't exist. The "Did you know" worked
fine until a few months ago, since then it's been mostly down.
I went through SP2 Help & Support online and they couldn't come up with an
answer other than what I said before.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
> Do you have a Dell or a Gateway machine? If you do, I wonder if, since I
> know Gateway somehow links Help and Support Center to Gateway's HelpSpot
> program that might be related to the problem.
>
> All of the *.query files in my
> %systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_32#0409 folder are
> related to the Did you know? section of Help and Support Center.
>
> For XP Home...
> %systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Personal_32#0409
>
> Just a thought.
>
> [[A useful feature of Help and Support Center is the Headlines area. This
> area is typically titled "Top Issues" and is usually located in the
> lower-right corner of the main window, unless the window has been
> customized
> by the OEM or modified for certain languages.]]
> Help and Support Center: The Headlines and Online Search Features
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws03mngd/10_s3hsc.mspx
>
> [[Direct Licensed Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) can pre-install
> computers with customized versions of Help and Support Center so that it
> includes information about the specific computer, along with the Help and
> Support content provided by Microsoft. ]]
> Description of Help and Support Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283372
>
> Help and Support Center Does Not Automatically Connect to the Internet
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315955
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:exGKTShjFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Peter <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> hunted and pecked:
>> "Eventually" .... <snore> LOL
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>> OK, no biggie. If it's an ongoing problem on their side, there may
>>> eventually be a KB article for it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ted Zieglar
>>> "You can do it if you try."
>>>
>>> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message

Peter,

Well, you got all I know about it. Sorry I couldn't help.

If it's any consolation, my Help and Support Center Index doesn't work.
It's looking for the merged.hhk file in C:\WINNT\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Indices.
There has *never* been a C:\WINNT folder on this machine. It's always been
C:\WINDOWS. And merged.hhk is where it belongs, in
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Indices.

There is always something. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%2373iVMmjFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Peter <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> hunted and pecked:
> No proprietary brand...it's by a local manufacturer MDG but everything is
> brand name, normal in all respects. I have a high-speed always-on cable
> connection so the connection issue doesn't exist. The "Did you know"
> worked fine until a few months ago, since then it's been mostly down.
> I went through SP2 Help & Support online and they couldn't come up with an
> answer other than what I said before.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>> Do you have a Dell or a Gateway machine? If you do, I wonder if, since I
>> know Gateway somehow links Help and Support Center to Gateway's HelpSpot
>> program that might be related to the problem.
>>
>> All of the *.query files in my
>> %systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_32#0409 folder
>> are related to the Did you know? section of Help and Support Center.
>>
>> For XP Home...
>> %systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Personal_32#0409
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> [[A useful feature of Help and Support Center is the Headlines area. This
>> area is typically titled "Top Issues" and is usually located in the
>> lower-right corner of the main window, unless the window has been
>> customized
>> by the OEM or modified for certain languages.]]
>> Help and Support Center: The Headlines and Online Search Features

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws03mngd/10_s3hsc.mspx

>> [[Direct Licensed Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) can pre-install
>> computers with customized versions of Help and Support Center so that it
>> includes information about the specific computer, along with the Help and
>> Support content provided by Microsoft. ]]
>> Description of Help and Support Center
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283372
>>
>> Help and Support Center Does Not Automatically Connect to the Internet
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315955
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:exGKTShjFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Peter <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> hunted and pecked:
>>> "Eventually" .... <snore> LOL
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> XP Home SP2
>>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
>>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

peter

Thanks, I'm sure I'll survive without it!! ;-)

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada