XP works with 64 bits procesor ??

Dark_Penguin

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
I don't know where to post this topic but my question is ..

What OS will work if I have a Athlon 64 FX or 3200+ any .. Could XP work ???

XP should work just fine on an AMD64 processor, as it runs 32-bit code natively (ie without an emulator ala Itanium).

The only thing a 64-bit OS or software will do is allow you to take advantage of the 64-bit extensions in the architecture. It won't necessarily give you more speed, just more address space.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
XP WILL work on Athlon64. That's how practically every reviewer has been running their benchmarks.

MS is releasing a 64 bit version of windows early next year sometime which will allow the use of the 64 bit extensions.

Running the OS in 64 bit mode with 64 bit apps will definitely increase speed in some of them. Perhaps not all, but most definitely some.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
i think there is already a windows xp 64bit version, ive seen it on their site. i dont know if it supports 32bit apps tho.

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

yaong

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Windows XP could not wok with 64bits
but it could work with 32bit mode because Athlon64 could support 32bit mode
if you want to use 64bit mode you can choose 64bit Linux

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
MS released a beta version to hardware sites but it was extremely buggy and didn't run anything very well at all.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
IA64 version is available now.

~Jeremy
Unofficial Intel PR Spokesman.(nVidia fill in rep for CoolSquirtle)

:evil: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up In My Buddies Face!!!</A> :evil: