Refresh install of windows 7

Betto

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
As everyone here obviously knows, as time passes with a computer with the installing and uninstalling of programs, adding and removing hardware drivers and so on, the performance of a computer begins to degrade slowly.

What are the best options for refreshing my windows 7 64 bit installation without having to do a full re-installation(To avoid installing drivers and programs all over again, not to mention all those little tweaks to the OS)

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Solution
The best alternative than a fresh install again and again is following this steps :
1. Fresh install your Win 7.
2. Put all your basic programs such as antivirus, office, drivers, etc. just as you like and any needed updates available at that time.
3. After you are finish with all of that create a complete partition image of your master partition (where your Win7 is installed) and store the image somewhere.
4. If in the future you need or feel that you want or need to fresh install wour windows, just replace your current windows with the image you have created earlier.
5. After using your stored image, update everything and create a new image for next use. BTW : delete your old image and keep the new image.
The best alternative than a fresh install again and again is following this steps :
1. Fresh install your Win 7.
2. Put all your basic programs such as antivirus, office, drivers, etc. just as you like and any needed updates available at that time.
3. After you are finish with all of that create a complete partition image of your master partition (where your Win7 is installed) and store the image somewhere.
4. If in the future you need or feel that you want or need to fresh install wour windows, just replace your current windows with the image you have created earlier.
5. After using your stored image, update everything and create a new image for next use. BTW : delete your old image and keep the new image.

Solution
In my experience, Windows 7 suffers much less from performance bloat than some older versions of Windows. Are you afraid this might happen, or are you actually seeing it happen?

When it comes to OS performance, what's paramount for me is (1) uninstall any and every piece of unneeded software and (2) get rid of as many Startup items as possible.

Betto

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

I've observed this to happen slightly so far with windows 7. I agree though that windows 7 doesn't get as bloated as other OSes such as vista. I think I will try and back up as many drivers as I can and do a fresh install of W7.

I was wondering if you would be able to help me with going about making the full windows partion?

@Betto : What do you mean with full windows partition? Creating image of that partition or making a new partition in your HDD?
If you are aiming for creating an image than Cceating image of a partition, you will need extra program for that such as acronis, etc.

You have to maintain your windows : defrag (not for SSD), registry clean, removing uneeded things from background and startup, etc.

@Herr_Koos : it is not only about having backup when it is slowing down, it is also about having a good backup if unwanted things happen and you have to restore your windows.

Another tips for saving time to install driver, programs and removing things you don't need manually, there is also something worth to see (just found it this morning, I will try it myself if I have the time this week or next week):
http://www.rt7lite.com/