Transmit sound from laptop to HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragan54

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hello, I have a Compaq laptop running Win 7. It does not have an HDMI port. I want to reproduce what is on my screen to the LG HDTV, including sound.
I can connect the picture using the 15 pin connecting cable, but can get no sound. The fellow at Radio Shack sold me a cable that fits into the headphone jack on my laptop, then has a red and a white wire that connects to the back of my TV. I get no sound from that.
It was suggested that I get a cable that has an identical headphone jack on both ends and try that. Will this transmit the audio that is on my laptop?
Also, are there settings on my laptop that need to be changed in order to reproduce everything on my laptop onto the TV? I have a soundbar if that makes any difference.

dragan54

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I got an excellent picture on my TV, but when I disconnected from the TV, my picture on my laptop had a large black border on either side. I went to some setting and changed it from 'medium' to 'small' and that fixed it.
I never had a chance to fiddle with the audio settings. Do you believe the single cable will allow me to get sound on the tv?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.