AGP bus speed question

G

Hi,
I just have a question about a CPU upgrade and my current motherboard.

The only AGP clock/CPU clock ratios the board (A-Bit BE6-2) supports are 1/1 and 2/3, so if I buy a 133 MHz P3 1000, there doesn't seem to be a way to get my AGP bus speed to 66 MHz.

2/3 * 133 = 88.7 MHz

Is this going to stop my GeForce 2 from working, and therefore is my only option to get a 100 MHz P3 1000?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Simon Brown.

G

Thanks for the reply :) By 'handle' do you mean the GF2 will be just as stable at 89 Mhz as it currently is at 66?

G

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I have the same motherboard, want to run with a 133MHz bus, and am not sure how my video card(All-In-Wonder 128) will react. It will probably croak.

From what I've read on the forums, people seem to agree that GeForce2 cards don't have a problem with the overclocked AGP bus(some discussion on <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=626276#626276" target="_new">this thread</A>). Don't know if doing this shortens the life of your card or not, but it should be stable.

If you can, find a vendor that lets you exchange CPU's. That way, if the P3(133) doesn't work out, you can exchange it for a P3(100) without being charged some obscene fee.

G

I ran an old Creative TNT for more than a year no problems at 133 with 2/3 divider on an Abit BM6. But now I've got a Radeon All-in-Wonder on a KT7a.

TRENDING THREADS