HELP!!! VID CARD NOT WORKING

OmegaRenegade

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I just got a RIVA TNT2 M64 32Mb AGP, I know most of you think its a pathetic little card, but for me its a great improvement over my old card which was a S3 Virge 4Mb AGP Card, or at least it would be if it worked. I can boot up and everything works fine, but once I start a 3D accelerated game (like NHL 2001 or Descent 3) the computer will freeze up within a few seconds (The intro movie plays in D3 but once it starts to load, thats when it crashes). My computer is: Celron 300A (not overclocked) 96Mb RAM, 4Gb HD, 440LX MotherBoard and WIN98. I have already tried the latest drivers, tried another one of these cards and re-installing both the software and the card numerous times. Can anyone please help me? Thanx.

G

I have exactly the same problem with a Diamond Viper II and an 440LX motherboard. I have not been able to figure it out for 6 months now. I think it might either an overheating problem since it seems to crash less if I leave the case open. Or even worse the old PC might be too slow for a new video card. Last night I was fed up with it and I installed my old Number Nine with a S3 Virge ship and it has not crashed once even though I left it on all night. I hope somebaody has an idea of what is going on. Otherwise I am going to get rid of the new card....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In all likelyhood your motherboard is not supplying enough current to the AGP slot to support 3D functionality. More graphics power means more current, so you enter a goame and POOF the current to the card is inadequate to support that function, so the graphics chip locks up. Get a new motherboard or more efficiant graphics card. BTW it is also possible that the card simply doen't like to run at 1x, but not as likely as the power problem.

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In all likelyhood your motherboard is not supplying enough current to the AGP slot to support 3D functionality. More graphics power means more current, so you enter a goame and POOF the current to the card is inadequate to support that function, so the graphics chip locks up. Get a new motherboard or more efficiant graphics card. BTW it is also possible that the card simply doen't like to run at 1x, but not as likely as the power problem.

Suicide is painless...........

OmegaRenegade

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The drivers are the new Detonator 3 that Nvidia came out with, also I'm running DX 7 (should I try 8?). The IRQ its on is #9. I hope its not the power, or if it is does anyone know how (other than new MB) to fix the lack of power? Thanx

TRENDING THREADS