I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop in the next couple of months or so, and I'm trying to get some general advice at this point.
Currently, I have a gaming desktop I built myself 2 and a half years ago (i7 930, HD5870, 6GB RAM). It still runs like a champ, but I'm wanting something a little more portable, mainly for around the house. Understand that this is very important to me, and I don't want another desktop. I'm also very aware that I am sacrificing performance for mobility. However, since I'm not likely to leave the house much with my machine, I'm mainly interested in "desktop replacement" computers. See below for details
1. What is your budget? ~$3000, definitely no more than $3500
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? BIG (at least 17")
3. What screen resolution do you want? High Def is a must (1920x1080)
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? Minimal, not important
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Absolutely. Highest settings possible. I mainly play RTS/4X games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Civ 5, Supreme Commander, etc
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Surfing, watching online videos, not much else
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I'll be keeping my pictures and music on a separate network drive, so just enough to install applications. RAID 0 is very appealing, particularly with SSD's
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I've done some initial looking around, and I'm particularly interested in the Alienware 18x, Digital Storm's x17E, and CyberPower's Fang III Taipan. I'm open to non-customizable options as well (such as the ASUS 75vw)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Blu-Ray reader
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I really would like some insight here. I don't have much experience with brands since I normally build a desktop.
13. What country do you live in? USA (Florida)
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'm looking for advice on brands, what components to focus on (assuming I buy a customizable rig), expected life span, and any other experience you can share.. Mainly, I want the best bang for my buck, and I want something that will last more than a year and a half before it craps out.