Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No one seems to want to answer this question?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 3:19:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm wondering if this post is getting out!

I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one would not
post
The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard

After replacing the motherboard,
I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
warranty replacement board from Asus.

The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
my USB printer or camera to work...

Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
hard drive...

What should I do to get this right???
In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!

Thanks!!!!

More about : answer question

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 3:48:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

SW,

What you may have to do is re-install the software utilities that came with
your MoBo. Even though they are the exact same MoBo, XP may see it as a
different board.

Hope that helps out!

Kyle Holgate


"SeaWolf" wrote:

> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>
> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one would not
> post
> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>
> After replacing the motherboard,
> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>
> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
> my USB printer or camera to work...
>
> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
> hard drive...
>
> What should I do to get this right???
> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>
> Thanks!!!!
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 4:23:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This is what's strange! My CD with all the utilities isn't showing the
utilities for sound?

I don't thing that the board's sound system it working at all! The computer
isn't spotting sound being on this system in any way at all. So I haven't
been able to reinstall the utilities or drivers!

Strange, isn't it!!!

What I'm trying to figgure out is if XP has come kind of security that will
not allow me to replace the mother board, even if its the exact same type of
board. I've heard that Xp has security that keeps people from just making
ghosts of hard drives and then using them to operate 15 or so like
computers....

So I'm wondering if this new mother board is going to cause me some
problems.



Kyle Holgate wrote:
> SW,
>
> What you may have to do is re-install the software utilities that
> came with your MoBo. Even though they are the exact same MoBo, XP
> may see it as a different board.
>
> Hope that helps out!
>
> Kyle Holgate
>
>
> "SeaWolf" wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>
>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>> would not post
>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>
>> After replacing the motherboard,
>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>
>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>
>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>> hard drive...
>>
>> What should I do to get this right???
>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
>> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>
>> Thanks!!!!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 4:53:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well if you have the audio ports on the back of the MoBo for sound then your
system definitely has it =) If your system does have those outputs you may
have to go into the bios and look under the on board peripherals tab and
verify that the audio function is turned on.

If it's off right now, Windows should find it after you turn it on and save
to bios. After the reboot Windows should try to load at least basic drivers
for the sound. At that point you can go to the asus site and dl the sound
drivers for your particular MoBo and install them.

Go ahead and install all of the other drivers from the utility cd that came
with the MoBo in the meantime.

Kyle Holgate

"SeaWolf" wrote:

> This is what's strange! My CD with all the utilities isn't showing the
> utilities for sound?
>
> I don't thing that the board's sound system it working at all! The computer
> isn't spotting sound being on this system in any way at all. So I haven't
> been able to reinstall the utilities or drivers!
>
> Strange, isn't it!!!
>
> What I'm trying to figgure out is if XP has come kind of security that will
> not allow me to replace the mother board, even if its the exact same type of
> board. I've heard that Xp has security that keeps people from just making
> ghosts of hard drives and then using them to operate 15 or so like
> computers....
>
> So I'm wondering if this new mother board is going to cause me some
> problems.
>
>
>
> Kyle Holgate wrote:
> > SW,
> >
> > What you may have to do is re-install the software utilities that
> > came with your MoBo. Even though they are the exact same MoBo, XP
> > may see it as a different board.
> >
> > Hope that helps out!
> >
> > Kyle Holgate
> >
> >
> > "SeaWolf" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
> >>
> >> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
> >> would not post
> >> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
> >>
> >> After replacing the motherboard,
> >> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
> >> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
> >> warranty replacement board from Asus.
> >>
> >> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
> >> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
> >> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
> >> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
> >> my USB printer or camera to work...
> >>
> >> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
> >> hard drive...
> >>
> >> What should I do to get this right???
> >> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
> >> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
> >>
> >> Thanks!!!!
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 5:33:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Kyle Holgate wrote:
> Well if you have the audio ports on the back of the MoBo for sound
> then your system definitely has it =) If your system does have
> those outputs you may have to go into the bios and look under the on
> board peripherals tab and verify that the audio function is turned on.
>
Its indeed strange but that was one of the first things I did!!! The Bios
doesn't seem to have anything on Audio functions! I've looked totally
through the bios a couple of times and I can't find a thing...

> If it's off right now, Windows should find it after you turn it on
> and save to bios. After the reboot Windows should try to load at
> least basic drivers for the sound. At that point you can go to the
> asus site and dl the sound drivers for your particular MoBo and
> install them.
>

I do agree that if the audio was turned off the thing wouldn't work.
And its turned off from the looks of it. I just don't see where to turn
it on at. Its not in the bios and I've looked in the P4PE User Guide
and it doesn't say anything about audio except to talk a little about
audio Codecs on page 1-9


> Go ahead and install all of the other drivers from the utility cd
> that came with the MoBo in the meantime.
>

Can't, nothing shows up on the CD. If seems that if the audio doesn't
show up on the computer it also doesn't show up on the CD!!!! I built 15 of
these machines and I loaded the audio up from the CD the first time
around...
Even in my users guide you can see where you load up the audio drivers and
programs. Now this is missing!!!
This is strange, isn't it?

I think I need to get with someone who has replaced a Asus mother board
while using XP... I'm wondering if I'm running up against a security issue.

I'm now really wondering WHY there isn't an audio control in the bios on
this MoBo?

I do thank you for your time and your response! I will figure this out
eventually!
I'd better, If this fails on some of the other machines we could be in some
trouble!

> Kyle Holgate
>
> "SeaWolf" wrote:
>
>> This is what's strange! My CD with all the utilities isn't showing
>> the utilities for sound?
>>
>> I don't thing that the board's sound system it working at all! The
>> computer isn't spotting sound being on this system in any way at
>> all. So I haven't been able to reinstall the utilities or drivers!
>>
>> Strange, isn't it!!!
>>
>> What I'm trying to figgure out is if XP has come kind of security
>> that will not allow me to replace the mother board, even if its the
>> exact same type of board. I've heard that Xp has security that keeps
>> people from just making ghosts of hard drives and then using them to
>> operate 15 or so like computers....
>>
>> So I'm wondering if this new mother board is going to cause me some
>> problems.
>>
>>
>>
>> Kyle Holgate wrote:
>>> SW,
>>>
>>> What you may have to do is re-install the software utilities that
>>> came with your MoBo. Even though they are the exact same MoBo, XP
>>> may see it as a different board.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps out!
>>>
>>> Kyle Holgate
>>>
>>>
>>> "SeaWolf" wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>>>
>>>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>>>> would not post
>>>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>>>
>>>> After replacing the motherboard,
>>>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>>>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>>>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>>>
>>>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>>>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>>>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>>>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>>>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>>>
>>>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>>>> hard drive...
>>>>
>>>> What should I do to get this right???
>>>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard
>>>> die before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!!!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 6:58:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

SeaWolf a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>
> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one would not
> post
> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>
> After replacing the motherboard,
> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>
> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
> my USB printer or camera to work...
>
> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
> hard drive...
>
> What should I do to get this right???
> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>
> Thanks!!!!

Are you sure it's the exact same board ?

I also own a P4PE and, IIRC, the board came in multiple flavours
(with/without LAN, SATA, etc..)

In fact, looking in the board's user guide, page xi, you will see that
the following components are listed as "optional":

- RAID IDE
- Serial ATA
- IEEE 1394
- Audio <<-----
- LAN

As for the USB, I read (p 2-25) that different implementations were
availiable. One of these include an USB/Game module. Could it explain
the difficulties you are experiencing ?

HTH
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 6:58:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Michel S. wrote:
> SeaWolf a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>
>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>> would not post
>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>
>> After replacing the motherboard,
>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>
>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>
>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>> hard drive...
>>
>> What should I do to get this right???
>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
>> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>
>> Thanks!!!!
>
> Are you sure it's the exact same board ?
>
> I also own a P4PE and, IIRC, the board came in multiple flavours
> (with/without LAN, SATA, etc..)
>
> In fact, looking in the board's user guide, page xi, you will see that
> the following components are listed as "optional":
>
> - RAID IDE
> - Serial ATA
> - IEEE 1394
> - Audio <<-----
> - LAN
>
> As for the USB, I read (p 2-25) that different implementations were
> availiable. One of these include an USB/Game module. Could it explain
> the difficulties you are experiencing ?
>
> HTH

Yes, it seems to be the same board according to the paperwork!
The Board I sent them was "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
They sent back a "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
Only the Bios is a little different being a P4PE2 Bios!!!

The board isn't seeing the sound on this board at all, like it doesn't
exist!

Thanks for your responce!
July 21, 2005 7:47:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 8PtJkijFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Michel S. wrote:
>> SeaWolf a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>>
>>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>>> would not post
>>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>>
>>> After replacing the motherboard,
>>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>>
>>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>>
>>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>>> hard drive...
>>>
>>> What should I do to get this right???
>>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
>>> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!!
>>
>> Are you sure it's the exact same board ?
>>
>> I also own a P4PE and, IIRC, the board came in multiple flavours
>> (with/without LAN, SATA, etc..)
>>
>> In fact, looking in the board's user guide, page xi, you will see that
>> the following components are listed as "optional":
>>
>> - RAID IDE
>> - Serial ATA
>> - IEEE 1394
>> - Audio <<-----
>> - LAN
>>
>> As for the USB, I read (p 2-25) that different implementations were
>> availiable. One of these include an USB/Game module. Could it explain
>> the difficulties you are experiencing ?
>>
>> HTH
>
> Yes, it seems to be the same board according to the paperwork!
> The Board I sent them was "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
> They sent back a "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
> Only the Bios is a little different being a P4PE2 Bios!!!
>
> The board isn't seeing the sound on this board at all, like it doesn't
> exist!
>
> Thanks for your responce!


Re your sound, or lack of. Did you install (reinstall) the SoundMAX audio
drivers from the ASUS installation CD? You're not using another sound card,
are you?
If you did install the SoundMAX drivers, you might try removing them and
then reinstalling. What does the Sounds and Audio Device Properties sheet
indicate in Control Panel? Is the SoundMAX Digital Audio shown in the Audio
section? If not, is it listed in the drop-down text box so that you can
select it? And last, but not least, are you sure you've plugged in your
speaker cable to the correct plug?

Re your USB problem: I can't recall if there were any USB drivers on the
ASUS installation CD. I don't think so, but if there are, install or
reinstall them. If not, see if there are any clues in Device Manager in the
USB controllers section. Might be useful to uninstall all the USB
controllers listed, reboot, and let Windows reinstall them.
Anna
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 7:47:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Anna wrote:
> "SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8PtJkijFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Michel S. wrote:
>>> SeaWolf a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>>>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>>>
>>>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>>>> would not post
>>>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>>>
>>>> After replacing the motherboard,
>>>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>>>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>>>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>>>
>>>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>>>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>>>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>>>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>>>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>>>
>>>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>>>> hard drive...
>>>>
>>>> What should I do to get this right???
>>>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard
>>>> die before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!!!!
>>>
>>> Are you sure it's the exact same board ?
>>>
>>> I also own a P4PE and, IIRC, the board came in multiple flavours
>>> (with/without LAN, SATA, etc..)
>>>
>>> In fact, looking in the board's user guide, page xi, you will see
>>> that the following components are listed as "optional":
>>>
>>> - RAID IDE
>>> - Serial ATA
>>> - IEEE 1394
>>> - Audio <<-----
>>> - LAN
>>>
>>> As for the USB, I read (p 2-25) that different implementations were
>>> availiable. One of these include an USB/Game module. Could it
>>> explain the difficulties you are experiencing ?
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>> Yes, it seems to be the same board according to the paperwork!
>> The Board I sent them was "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
>> They sent back a "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
>> Only the Bios is a little different being a P4PE2 Bios!!!
>>
>> The board isn't seeing the sound on this board at all, like it
>> doesn't exist!
>>
>> Thanks for your response!
>
>
> Re your sound, or lack of. Did you install (reinstall) the SoundMAX
> audio drivers from the ASUS installation CD? You're not using another
> sound card, are you?

First I've checked the bios to make sure the audio is turn on and it was.
The Asus installation CD is not showing the SoundMax audio drivers
because the computer is not finding sound hardware on this computer.
As a matter of fact I can open the SoundMax programs and it doesn't
show hardware to use. As a matter of fact the computer should automatically
come up with basic audio and give you that little speaker one always sees
in the lower right hand corner. There is no little speaker!

> If you did install the SoundMAX drivers, you might try removing them
> and then reinstalling. What does the Sounds and Audio Device
> Properties sheet indicate in Control Panel? Is the SoundMAX Digital
> Audio shown in the Audio section? If not, is it listed in the
> drop-down text box so that you can select it? And last, but not
> least, are you sure you've plugged in your speaker cable to the
> correct plug?
>
There is NO sound device period! There is no sound device to select from.
Its as if there is no sound system on this board or on this system...

I'm trying to fix the sound first! If I can't get the sound to work I need
to
return this MoBo the just sent me!

Thanks for your time!!!

Oh I figured out why no one was responding to me!
Seems you can't wait a day to two to answer these post!
Sorry about that!!!!


> Re your USB problem: I can't recall if there were any USB drivers on
> the ASUS installation CD. I don't think so, but if there are, install
> or reinstall them. If not, see if there are any clues in Device
> Manager in the USB controllers section. Might be useful to uninstall
> all the USB controllers listed, reboot, and let Windows reinstall
> them.
> Anna
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 8:46:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Après mure réflexion, SeaWolf a écrit :
> Kyle Holgate wrote:
>> Well if you have the audio ports on the back of the MoBo for sound
>> then your system definitely has it =) If your system does have
>> those outputs you may have to go into the bios and look under the on
>> board peripherals tab and verify that the audio function is turned on.
>>
> Its indeed strange but that was one of the first things I did!!! The Bios
> doesn't seem to have anything on Audio functions! I've looked totally
> through the bios a couple of times and I can't find a thing...

Just checked in mine (P4Pe-ver1007)

Advanced -> I/O Device configuration -> Onboard AC97 Audio Controller
-> Auto | Disabled

and, since I was there :

Advanced -> PCI Configuration => USB 1.1 Controllers -> 3 Controllers |
Disabled

If you set it to 3 controllers, the followin will alos appear :

Advanced -> PCI Configuration -> USB 2.0 Controller -> Enabled |
Disabled


>> If it's off right now, Windows should find it after you turn it on
>> and save to bios. After the reboot Windows should try to load at
>> least basic drivers for the sound. At that point you can go to the
>> asus site and dl the sound drivers for your particular MoBo and
>> install them.
>>
>
> I do agree that if the audio was turned off the thing wouldn't work.
> And its turned off from the looks of it. I just don't see where to turn
> it on at. Its not in the bios and I've looked in the P4PE User Guide
> and it doesn't say anything about audio except to talk a little about
> audio Codecs on page 1-9
>
>> Go ahead and install all of the other drivers from the utility cd
>> that came with the MoBo in the meantime.
>>
>
> Can't, nothing shows up on the CD. If seems that if the audio doesn't
> show up on the computer it also doesn't show up on the CD!!!! I built 15 of
> these machines and I loaded the audio up from the CD the first time
> around...
> Even in my users guide you can see where you load up the audio drivers and
> programs. Now this is missing!!!
> This is strange, isn't it?
>
> I think I need to get with someone who has replaced a Asus mother board
> while using XP... I'm wondering if I'm running up against a security issue.
>
> I'm now really wondering WHY there isn't an audio control in the bios on
> this MoBo?
>
> I do thank you for your time and your response! I will figure this out
> eventually!
> I'd better, If this fails on some of the other machines we could be in some
> trouble!
>
>> Kyle Holgate
>>
>> "SeaWolf" wrote:
>>
>>> This is what's strange! My CD with all the utilities isn't showing
>>> the utilities for sound?
>>>
>>> I don't thing that the board's sound system it working at all! The
>>> computer isn't spotting sound being on this system in any way at
>>> all. So I haven't been able to reinstall the utilities or drivers!
>>>
>>> Strange, isn't it!!!
>>>
>>> What I'm trying to figgure out is if XP has come kind of security
>>> that will not allow me to replace the mother board, even if its the
>>> exact same type of board. I've heard that Xp has security that keeps
>>> people from just making ghosts of hard drives and then using them to
>>> operate 15 or so like computers....
>>>
>>> So I'm wondering if this new mother board is going to cause me some
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Kyle Holgate wrote:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 8:46:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Michel S. wrote:
> Après mure réflexion, SeaWolf a écrit :
>> Kyle Holgate wrote:
>>> Well if you have the audio ports on the back of the MoBo for sound
>>> then your system definitely has it =) If your system does have
>>> those outputs you may have to go into the bios and look under the on
>>> board peripherals tab and verify that the audio function is turned
>>> on.
>>>
>> Its indeed strange but that was one of the first things I did!!! The
>> Bios doesn't seem to have anything on Audio functions! I've looked
>> totally through the bios a couple of times and I can't find a
>> thing...

OK I didn't page the Bios! No wonder I couldn't find the thing!
>
> Just checked in mine (P4Pe-ver1007)
>
> Advanced -> I/O Device configuration -> Onboard AC97 Audio Controller
> -> Auto | Disabled
>

My board is set to Auto

> and, since I was there :
>
> Advanced -> PCI Configuration => USB 1.1 Controllers -> 3 Controllers
> | Disabled
>

My Board Set to 3 Controllers

> If you set it to 3 controllers, the followin will alos appear :
>
> Advanced -> PCI Configuration -> USB 2.0 Controller -> Enabled |
> Disabled
>

My Board set to Enabled
>

I'm starting to think they sent me a bad board!
I'm tired of having my computer down for Weeks on end!!!

Seems to me that if the Bios has it all turned on and the computer
can't find these things the Board must have a problem of some sort.

Thanks for the info! I'm learning a few things!

>>> If it's off right now, Windows should find it after you turn it on
>>> and save to bios. After the reboot Windows should try to load at
>>> least basic drivers for the sound. At that point you can go to the
>>> asus site and dl the sound drivers for your particular MoBo and
>>> install them.
>>>
>>
>> I do agree that if the audio was turned off the thing wouldn't work.
>> And its turned off from the looks of it. I just don't see where to
>> turn
>> it on at. Its not in the bios and I've looked in the P4PE User Guide
>> and it doesn't say anything about audio except to talk a little about
>> audio Codecs on page 1-9
>>
>>> Go ahead and install all of the other drivers from the utility cd
>>> that came with the MoBo in the meantime.
>>>
>>
>> Can't, nothing shows up on the CD. If seems that if the audio doesn't
>> show up on the computer it also doesn't show up on the CD!!!! I
>> built 15 of these machines and I loaded the audio up from the CD the
>> first time around...
>> Even in my users guide you can see where you load up the audio
>> drivers and programs. Now this is missing!!!
>> This is strange, isn't it?
>>
>> I think I need to get with someone who has replaced a Asus mother
>> board while using XP... I'm wondering if I'm running up against a
>> security issue.
>>
>> I'm now really wondering WHY there isn't an audio control in the
>> bios on this MoBo?
>>
>> I do thank you for your time and your response! I will figure this
>> out eventually!
>> I'd better, If this fails on some of the other machines we could be
>> in some trouble!
>>
>>> Kyle Holgate
>>>
>>> "SeaWolf" wrote:
>>>
>>>> This is what's strange! My CD with all the utilities isn't showing
>>>> the utilities for sound?
>>>>
>>>> I don't thing that the board's sound system it working at all! The
>>>> computer isn't spotting sound being on this system in any way at
>>>> all. So I haven't been able to reinstall the utilities or drivers!
>>>>
>>>> Strange, isn't it!!!
>>>>
>>>> What I'm trying to figgure out is if XP has come kind of security
>>>> that will not allow me to replace the mother board, even if its the
>>>> exact same type of board. I've heard that Xp has security that
>>>> keeps people from just making ghosts of hard drives and then using
>>>> them to operate 15 or so like computers....
>>>>
>>>> So I'm wondering if this new mother board is going to cause me some
>>>> problems.
>>>>
>>>> Kyle Holgate wrote:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 8:46:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sounds like you might have it fixed? If so Grats! They can be frustrating
little buggers at times.

"SeaWolf" wrote:

> Michel S. wrote:
> > Après mure réflexion, SeaWolf a écrit :
> >> Kyle Holgate wrote:
> >>> Well if you have the audio ports on the back of the MoBo for sound
> >>> then your system definitely has it =) If your system does have
> >>> those outputs you may have to go into the bios and look under the on
> >>> board peripherals tab and verify that the audio function is turned
> >>> on.
> >>>
> >> Its indeed strange but that was one of the first things I did!!! The
> >> Bios doesn't seem to have anything on Audio functions! I've looked
> >> totally through the bios a couple of times and I can't find a
> >> thing...
>
> OK I didn't page the Bios! No wonder I couldn't find the thing!
> >
> > Just checked in mine (P4Pe-ver1007)
> >
> > Advanced -> I/O Device configuration -> Onboard AC97 Audio Controller
> > -> Auto | Disabled
> >
>
> My board is set to Auto
>
> > and, since I was there :
> >
> > Advanced -> PCI Configuration => USB 1.1 Controllers -> 3 Controllers
> > | Disabled
> >
>
> My Board Set to 3 Controllers
>
> > If you set it to 3 controllers, the followin will alos appear :
> >
> > Advanced -> PCI Configuration -> USB 2.0 Controller -> Enabled |
> > Disabled
> >
>
> My Board set to Enabled
> >
>
> I'm starting to think they sent me a bad board!
> I'm tired of having my computer down for Weeks on end!!!
>
> Seems to me that if the Bios has it all turned on and the computer
> can't find these things the Board must have a problem of some sort.
>
> Thanks for the info! I'm learning a few things!
>
> >>> If it's off right now, Windows should find it after you turn it on
> >>> and save to bios. After the reboot Windows should try to load at
> >>> least basic drivers for the sound. At that point you can go to the
> >>> asus site and dl the sound drivers for your particular MoBo and
> >>> install them.
> >>>
> >>
> >> I do agree that if the audio was turned off the thing wouldn't work.
> >> And its turned off from the looks of it. I just don't see where to
> >> turn
> >> it on at. Its not in the bios and I've looked in the P4PE User Guide
> >> and it doesn't say anything about audio except to talk a little about
> >> audio Codecs on page 1-9
> >>
> >>> Go ahead and install all of the other drivers from the utility cd
> >>> that came with the MoBo in the meantime.
> >>>
> >>
> >> Can't, nothing shows up on the CD. If seems that if the audio doesn't
> >> show up on the computer it also doesn't show up on the CD!!!! I
> >> built 15 of these machines and I loaded the audio up from the CD the
> >> first time around...
> >> Even in my users guide you can see where you load up the audio
> >> drivers and programs. Now this is missing!!!
> >> This is strange, isn't it?
> >>
> >> I think I need to get with someone who has replaced a Asus mother
> >> board while using XP... I'm wondering if I'm running up against a
> >> security issue.
> >>
> >> I'm now really wondering WHY there isn't an audio control in the
> >> bios on this MoBo?
> >>
> >> I do thank you for your time and your response! I will figure this
> >> out eventually!
> >> I'd better, If this fails on some of the other machines we could be
> >> in some trouble!
> >>
> >>> Kyle Holgate
> >>>
> >>> "SeaWolf" wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> This is what's strange! My CD with all the utilities isn't showing
> >>>> the utilities for sound?
> >>>>
> >>>> I don't thing that the board's sound system it working at all! The
> >>>> computer isn't spotting sound being on this system in any way at
> >>>> all. So I haven't been able to reinstall the utilities or drivers!
> >>>>
> >>>> Strange, isn't it!!!
> >>>>
> >>>> What I'm trying to figgure out is if XP has come kind of security
> >>>> that will not allow me to replace the mother board, even if its the
> >>>> exact same type of board. I've heard that Xp has security that
> >>>> keeps people from just making ghosts of hard drives and then using
> >>>> them to operate 15 or so like computers....
> >>>>
> >>>> So I'm wondering if this new mother board is going to cause me some
> >>>> problems.
> >>>>
> >>>> Kyle Holgate wrote:
>
>
>
July 21, 2005 10:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

>> "SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 8PtJkijFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Michel S. wrote:
>>>> SeaWolf a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>>>>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>>>>
>>>>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>>>>> would not post
>>>>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>>>>
>>>>> After replacing the motherboard,
>>>>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>>>>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>>>>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>>>>
>>>>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>>>>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>>>>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>>>>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>>>>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>>>>
>>>>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>>>>> hard drive...
>>>>>
>>>>> What should I do to get this right???
>>>>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard
>>>>> die before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!!!!
>>>>
>>>> Are you sure it's the exact same board ?
>>>>
>>>> I also own a P4PE and, IIRC, the board came in multiple flavours
>>>> (with/without LAN, SATA, etc..)
>>>>
>>>> In fact, looking in the board's user guide, page xi, you will see
>>>> that the following components are listed as "optional":
>>>>
>>>> - RAID IDE
>>>> - Serial ATA
>>>> - IEEE 1394
>>>> - Audio <<-----
>>>> - LAN
>>>>
>>>> As for the USB, I read (p 2-25) that different implementations were
>>>> availiable. One of these include an USB/Game module. Could it
>>>> explain the difficulties you are experiencing ?
>>>>
>>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Yes, it seems to be the same board according to the paperwork!
>>> The Board I sent them was "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
>>> They sent back a "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
>>> Only the Bios is a little different being a P4PE2 Bios!!!
>>>
>>> The board isn't seeing the sound on this board at all, like it
>>> doesn't exist!
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response!


>> Anna wrote:
>> Re your sound, or lack of. Did you install (reinstall) the SoundMAX
>> audio drivers from the ASUS installation CD? You're not using another
>> sound card, are you?


"SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%
> First I've checked the bios to make sure the audio is turn on and it was.
> The Asus installation CD is not showing the SoundMax audio drivers
> because the computer is not finding sound hardware on this computer.
> As a matter of fact I can open the SoundMax programs and it doesn't
> show hardware to use. As a matter of fact the computer should
> automatically
> come up with basic audio and give you that little speaker one always sees
> in the lower right hand corner. There is no little speaker!

First of all, the fact that "the computer is not finding sound hardware on
this computer" has absolutely nothing to do with that fact (as you indicate)
that the motherboard's installation CD does not list the SoundMAX audio
drivers. I find it incomprehensible that the CD does not contain the drivers
for the SoundMAX. But since you say you can "open the SoundMAX programs", I
take it the drivers have been installed, but just to check - is SoundMAX
listed in your Add or Remove Programs in Device Manager? And is SoundMax
Integrated Digital Audio listed in the Sound... controllers section of
Device Manager? If the drivers *have* been correctly installed and your BIOS
configuration for the onboard audio controller has been set to Auto, then
the system has detected an audio device. If it shows Disabled, no audio
device has been detected.

So re:check your speakers and their connections as I informed you below.
Anna

>> If you did install the SoundMAX drivers, you might try removing them
>> and then reinstalling. What does the Sounds and Audio Device
>> Properties sheet indicate in Control Panel? Is the SoundMAX Digital
>> Audio shown in the Audio section? If not, is it listed in the
>> drop-down text box so that you can select it? And last, but not
>> least, are you sure you've plugged in your speaker cable to the
>> correct plug?
>>
> There is NO sound device period! There is no sound device to select from.
> Its as if there is no sound system on this board or on this system...
>
> I'm trying to fix the sound first! If I can't get the sound to work I need
> to
> return this MoBo the just sent me!
>
> Thanks for your time!!!
>
> Oh I figured out why no one was responding to me!
> Seems you can't wait a day to two to answer these post!
> Sorry about that!!!!
>
>
>> Re your USB problem: I can't recall if there were any USB drivers on
>> the ASUS installation CD. I don't think so, but if there are, install
>> or reinstall them. If not, see if there are any clues in Device
>> Manager in the USB controllers section. Might be useful to uninstall
>> all the USB controllers listed, reboot, and let Windows reinstall
>> them.
>> Anna
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 10:55:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Après mure réflexion, Anna a écrit :
>>> "SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o 8PtJkijFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>>
>>> Anna wrote:
>>> Re your sound, or lack of. Did you install (reinstall) the SoundMAX
>>> audio drivers from the ASUS installation CD? You're not using another
>>> sound card, are you?
>
> "SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%
>> First I've checked the bios to make sure the audio is turn on and it was.
>> The Asus installation CD is not showing the SoundMax audio drivers
>> because the computer is not finding sound hardware on this computer.
>> As a matter of fact I can open the SoundMax programs and it doesn't
>> show hardware to use. As a matter of fact the computer should automatically
>> come up with basic audio and give you that little speaker one always sees
>> in the lower right hand corner. There is no little speaker!
>
> First of all, the fact that "the computer is not finding sound hardware on
> this computer" has absolutely nothing to do with that fact (as you indicate)
> that the motherboard's installation CD does not list the SoundMAX audio
> drivers. I find it incomprehensible that the CD does not contain the drivers
> for the SoundMAX. But since you say you can "open the SoundMAX programs", I
> take it the drivers have been installed, but just to check - is SoundMAX
> listed in your Add or Remove Programs in Device Manager? And is SoundMax
> Integrated Digital Audio listed in the Sound... controllers section of Device
> Manager? If the drivers *have* been correctly installed and your BIOS
> configuration for the onboard audio controller has been set to Auto, then the
> system has detected an audio device. If it shows Disabled, no audio device
> has been detected.
>
> So re:check your speakers and their connections as I informed you below.
> Anna
>
>>> If you did install the SoundMAX drivers, you might try removing them
>>> and then reinstalling. What does the Sounds and Audio Device
>>> Properties sheet indicate in Control Panel? Is the SoundMAX Digital
>>> Audio shown in the Audio section? If not, is it listed in the
>>> drop-down text box so that you can select it? And last, but not
>>> least, are you sure you've plugged in your speaker cable to the
>>> correct plug?
>>>
>> There is NO sound device period! There is no sound device to select from.
>> Its as if there is no sound system on this board or on this system...
>>
>> I'm trying to fix the sound first! If I can't get the sound to work I need
>> to
>> return this MoBo the just sent me!
>>
>> Thanks for your time!!!
>>
>> Oh I figured out why no one was responding to me!
>> Seems you can't wait a day to two to answer these post!
>> Sorry about that!!!!
>>
>>> Re your USB problem: I can't recall if there were any USB drivers on
>>> the ASUS installation CD. I don't think so, but if there are, install
>>> or reinstall them. If not, see if there are any clues in Device
>>> Manager in the USB controllers section. Might be useful to uninstall
>>> all the USB controllers listed, reboot, and let Windows reinstall
>>> them.
>>> Anna

Anna,

Since he just pluggued in his previous installation's hard disk, it is
normal for the soundmax programs to be already installed.

Should the motherboard be exactly the same, he should have, in theory
nothing to reinstall (because it was already installed) *unless it's
faulty mobo caused windows to uninstall some devices as they became
faulty *.

I just looked at my CD (P4PE/GE Chipset Series Support CD) and I
confirm that there *are* menu entries to install "Soundmax Audio Driver
and Application" as well as "USB 2.0" driver. Since updated versions
of the entire CD components are availiable from the ASUS web site, he
can found them there if required.

But once again, SeaWolf shouldn't have to install anything provided
they were already there before it's previous mobo die.

Do you agree with that ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 11:42:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:upWnHDijFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>
> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one would not
> post
> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>
> After replacing the motherboard,
> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>
> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
> my USB printer or camera to work...
>
> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
> hard drive...
>
> What should I do to get this right???
> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>
> Thanks!!!!
>
>

Look on the driver CD that comes with the motherboard for your drivers and
install them. There are usually utilities to help and read me files- try
reading them too.
btw this is possibly a hardware related question- try an asus ng.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 3:12:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

What are the options you see when you insert the MB cd?

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%239HJTqjjFHA.3348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Anna wrote:
>> "SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 8PtJkijFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Michel S. wrote:
>>>> SeaWolf a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>>>>> I'm wondering if this post is getting out!
>>>>>
>>>>> I had to replace the mother board on my computer as the old one
>>>>> would not post
>>>>> The Bad board was a Asus P4PE motherboard
>>>>>
>>>>> After replacing the motherboard,
>>>>> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
>>>>> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
>>>>> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>>>>>
>>>>> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
>>>>> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
>>>>> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
>>>>> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
>>>>> my USB printer or camera to work...
>>>>>
>>>>> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
>>>>> hard drive...
>>>>>
>>>>> What should I do to get this right???
>>>>> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard
>>>>> die before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!!!!
>>>>
>>>> Are you sure it's the exact same board ?
>>>>
>>>> I also own a P4PE and, IIRC, the board came in multiple flavours
>>>> (with/without LAN, SATA, etc..)
>>>>
>>>> In fact, looking in the board's user guide, page xi, you will see
>>>> that the following components are listed as "optional":
>>>>
>>>> - RAID IDE
>>>> - Serial ATA
>>>> - IEEE 1394
>>>> - Audio <<-----
>>>> - LAN
>>>>
>>>> As for the USB, I read (p 2-25) that different implementations were
>>>> availiable. One of these include an USB/Game module. Could it
>>>> explain the difficulties you are experiencing ?
>>>>
>>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Yes, it seems to be the same board according to the paperwork!
>>> The Board I sent them was "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
>>> They sent back a "P4PE/LAN/1394/SATA"
>>> Only the Bios is a little different being a P4PE2 Bios!!!
>>>
>>> The board isn't seeing the sound on this board at all, like it
>>> doesn't exist!
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response!
>>
>>
>> Re your sound, or lack of. Did you install (reinstall) the SoundMAX
>> audio drivers from the ASUS installation CD? You're not using another
>> sound card, are you?
>
> First I've checked the bios to make sure the audio is turn on and it was.
> The Asus installation CD is not showing the SoundMax audio drivers
> because the computer is not finding sound hardware on this computer.
> As a matter of fact I can open the SoundMax programs and it doesn't
> show hardware to use. As a matter of fact the computer should
> automatically
> come up with basic audio and give you that little speaker one always sees
> in the lower right hand corner. There is no little speaker!
>
>> If you did install the SoundMAX drivers, you might try removing them
>> and then reinstalling. What does the Sounds and Audio Device
>> Properties sheet indicate in Control Panel? Is the SoundMAX Digital
>> Audio shown in the Audio section? If not, is it listed in the
>> drop-down text box so that you can select it? And last, but not
>> least, are you sure you've plugged in your speaker cable to the
>> correct plug?
>>
> There is NO sound device period! There is no sound device to select from.
> Its as if there is no sound system on this board or on this system...
>
> I'm trying to fix the sound first! If I can't get the sound to work I need
> to
> return this MoBo the just sent me!
>
> Thanks for your time!!!
>
> Oh I figured out why no one was responding to me!
> Seems you can't wait a day to two to answer these post!
> Sorry about that!!!!
>
>
>> Re your USB problem: I can't recall if there were any USB drivers on
>> the ASUS installation CD. I don't think so, but if there are, install
>> or reinstall them. If not, see if there are any clues in Device
>> Manager in the USB controllers section. Might be useful to uninstall
>> all the USB controllers listed, reboot, and let Windows reinstall
>> them.
>> Anna
>
>
!