Microsoft Search/Toolbar Suite - losing Google

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've installed the Microsoft Search Toolbar Suite and am having an odd
symptom intermittently. It may or may not be because of this new product.

From the toolbar you can enter a search term and it will go to Google and
give you the results of that search. (You can configure the toolbar suite to
use Google instead of MSN.) This usually works. Once in a while, I get a
page not found error from this. But the really strange thing is that after
this happens when I just type www.google.com in the address bar, I still get
a page not found. Sometimes by simply waiting 5 minutes or by closing all
copies of IE6 it will come back and work correctly.

I've also noticed that www.yahoo.com might also come up not found at this
same time. Other favorite web pages work correctly.

Any ideas? (IE6.0, WinXP-SP2, Athlon 2400_XP, 512MB Ram).

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

And PLEASE, no 'dump IE, use Firefox' posts.

--
GPC
5 answers Last reply
More about microsoft search toolbar suite losing google
  1. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Personally, I have found the Google Search Toolbar to be
    a better product than the MSN Search Suite. You may wish
    to uninstall the MSN Toolbar and install the Google Toolbar
    and see what you think.

    Google Toolbar
    http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en

    Google Desktop Search
    http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Cat_in_awe" wrote:

    | I've installed the Microsoft Search Toolbar Suite and am having an odd
    | symptom intermittently. It may or may not be because of this new product.
    |
    | From the toolbar you can enter a search term and it will go to Google and
    | give you the results of that search. (You can configure the toolbar suite to
    | use Google instead of MSN.) This usually works. Once in a while, I get a
    | page not found error from this. But the really strange thing is that after
    | this happens when I just type www.google.com in the address bar, I still get
    | a page not found. Sometimes by simply waiting 5 minutes or by closing all
    | copies of IE6 it will come back and work correctly.
    |
    | I've also noticed that www.yahoo.com might also come up not found at this
    | same time. Other favorite web pages work correctly.
    |
    | Any ideas? (IE6.0, WinXP-SP2, Athlon 2400_XP, 512MB Ram).
    |
    | Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    |
    | And PLEASE, no 'dump IE, use Firefox' posts.
    |
    | --
    | GPC
  2. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi GPC - You might want to consider using:

    URLKicker, here: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20050612.asp

    by a C# MVP, Dr. Peter Bromberg

    Works exactly as advertised and very useful it is too. I probably use this
    20 to 30 times a day. Highly Recommended.

    It would appear that it does everything that you've referred to in your
    original post.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    "Cat_in_awe" <rl3166pls@excite.,com> wrote in message
    news:p9SDe.956$X52.481@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com
    > I've installed the Microsoft Search Toolbar Suite and am having an odd
    > symptom intermittently. It may or may not be because of this new
    > product.
    >
    > From the toolbar you can enter a search term and it will go to Google
    > and give you the results of that search. (You can configure the
    > toolbar suite to use Google instead of MSN.) This usually works.
    > Once in a while, I get a page not found error from this. But the
    > really strange thing is that after this happens when I just type
    > www.google.com in the address bar, I still get a page not found.
    > Sometimes by simply waiting 5 minutes or by closing all copies of IE6
    > it will come back and work correctly.
    >
    > I've also noticed that www.yahoo.com might also come up not found at
    > this same time. Other favorite web pages work correctly.
    >
    > Any ideas? (IE6.0, WinXP-SP2, Athlon 2400_XP, 512MB Ram).
    >
    > Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    >
    > And PLEASE, no 'dump IE, use Firefox' posts.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Personally, I have found the Google Search Toolbar to be
    > a better product than the MSN Search Suite. You may wish
    > to uninstall the MSN Toolbar and install the Google Toolbar
    > and see what you think.
    >
    > Google Toolbar
    > http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en
    >
    > Google Desktop Search
    > http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1
    >
    >

    I've used Google Toolbar, etc. and wasn't satisfied. I want the tabbed
    browsing, form fill and desktop search from the MS product. Google only has
    the search.

    Can someone answer the original question?

    --
    GPC
  4. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You can get better advice by visiting the experts in the MSN Search newsgroup:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.msn.search

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Cat_in_awe" wrote:

    | I've used Google Toolbar, etc. and wasn't satisfied. I want the tabbed
    | browsing, form fill and desktop search from the MS product. Google only has
    | the search.
    |
    | Can someone answer the original question?
    |
    | --
    | GPC
  5. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Cat_in_awe wrote:
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >> Personally, I have found the Google Search Toolbar to be
    >> a better product than the MSN Search Suite. You may wish
    >> to uninstall the MSN Toolbar and install the Google Toolbar
    >> and see what you think.
    >>
    >> Google Toolbar
    >> http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en
    >>
    >> Google Desktop Search
    >> http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1
    >>
    >>
    >
    > I've used Google Toolbar, etc. and wasn't satisfied. I want the
    > tabbed browsing, form fill and desktop search from the MS product.
    > Google only has the search.
    >

    One other note: Google can't search on network drives, MS STS can.

    --
    GPC
Ask a new question

Read More

Google Microsoft Windows XP