Microsoft Search/Toolbar Suite - losing Google

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've installed the Microsoft Search Toolbar Suite and am having an odd
symptom intermittently. It may or may not be because of this new product.

From the toolbar you can enter a search term and it will go to Google and
give you the results of that search. (You can configure the toolbar suite to
use Google instead of MSN.) This usually works. Once in a while, I get a
page not found error from this. But the really strange thing is that after
this happens when I just type www.google.com in the address bar, I still get
a page not found. Sometimes by simply waiting 5 minutes or by closing all
copies of IE6 it will come back and work correctly.

I've also noticed that www.yahoo.com might also come up not found at this
same time. Other favorite web pages work correctly.

Any ideas? (IE6.0, WinXP-SP2, Athlon 2400_XP, 512MB Ram).

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

And PLEASE, no 'dump IE, use Firefox' posts.

--
GPC

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Personally, I have found the Google Search Toolbar to be
a better product than the MSN Search Suite. You may wish
to uninstall the MSN Toolbar and install the Google Toolbar
and see what you think.

Google Toolbar
http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en

Google Desktop Search
http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Cat_in_awe" wrote:

| I've installed the Microsoft Search Toolbar Suite and am having an odd
| symptom intermittently. It may or may not be because of this new product.
|
| From the toolbar you can enter a search term and it will go to Google and
| give you the results of that search. (You can configure the toolbar suite to
| use Google instead of MSN.) This usually works. Once in a while, I get a
| page not found error from this. But the really strange thing is that after
| this happens when I just type www.google.com in the address bar, I still get
| a page not found. Sometimes by simply waiting 5 minutes or by closing all
| copies of IE6 it will come back and work correctly.
|
| I've also noticed that www.yahoo.com might also come up not found at this
| same time. Other favorite web pages work correctly.
|
| Any ideas? (IE6.0, WinXP-SP2, Athlon 2400_XP, 512MB Ram).
|
| Any help is appreciated, thanks.
|
| And PLEASE, no 'dump IE, use Firefox' posts.
|
| --
| GPC

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi GPC - You might want to consider using:

URLKicker, here: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20050612.asp

by a C# MVP, Dr. Peter Bromberg

Works exactly as advertised and very useful it is too. I probably use this
20 to 30 times a day. Highly Recommended.

It would appear that it does everything that you've referred to in your
original post.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Personally, I have found the Google Search Toolbar to be
> a better product than the MSN Search Suite. You may wish
> to uninstall the MSN Toolbar and install the Google Toolbar
> and see what you think.
>
> Google Toolbar
> http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en
>
> Google Desktop Search
> http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1

I've used Google Toolbar, etc. and wasn't satisfied. I want the tabbed
browsing, form fill and desktop search from the MS product. Google only has
the search.

Can someone answer the original question?

--
GPC

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can get better advice by visiting the experts in the MSN Search newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Cat_in_awe wrote:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> Personally, I have found the Google Search Toolbar to be
>> a better product than the MSN Search Suite. You may wish
>> to uninstall the MSN Toolbar and install the Google Toolbar
>> and see what you think.
>>
>> Google Toolbar
>> http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en
>>
>> Google Desktop Search
>> http://desktop.google.com/?promo=mp-gds-v1-1
>>

> I've used Google Toolbar, etc. and wasn't satisfied. I want the
> tabbed browsing, form fill and desktop search from the MS product.
> Google only has the search.

One other note: Google can't search on network drives, MS STS can.

--
GPC