New Nextel Number

I am in the Florida Panhandle. I am entertaining
moving my service from ATT to Nextel. The DC, free
incoming calls, alternate line service with free
nights and weekends all seem like a pretty good
deal. I have read some of the threads regarding
Nextel's service, or lack thereof, but ATT ranges
from marginal to non-existent over about 1/3 of
the area where I travel on a daily basis. Not to
mention that their customer service is almost
totally extinct. While I will port my current
number on 5-24, I need to add an additional new
number, which I wantbe the same as my pager and
current cell number (different exchanges, of
course)for the convenience of my customers. Nextel
tells me that numbers cannot be chosen with their
software. Exactly what I was told was, "if the
President of the United States wanted a particular
number, he couldn't get it". This sounds like a
load of BS to me. If I can port a number, somebody
enters it into the computer, so why the resistance
to that same someone entering a Nextel number into
their own system? I have had cell service since
1991, pager service for about the same length of
time, and have added/modified service from time to
time, and I have never NOT picked my number.

Any ideas on how I can get this done?

One more question. Someone asked me this, and I
don't know. If someone ports a number to another
company, say from ATT to Nextel, fulfills the
contract, and then cancels service without porting
the number elsewhere, who gets the number? Does it
revert back to ATT, or is it now Nextel's to
distribute to someone else?

Thanks.

RAC
4 answers Last reply
More about nextel number
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In article <jN_mc.56266$Xj6.945005@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    "Robert A. Cibiras" <np-pacibiras@att.net> wrote:

    > Nextel
    > tells me that numbers cannot be chosen with their
    > software. Exactly what I was told was, "if the
    > President of the United States wanted a particular
    > number, he couldn't get it". This sounds like a
    > load of BS to me.

    To me, too, given that I chose two numbers a few years ago with
    Cingular. My rep asked me as part of the deal, "what numbers do you
    want?" He tries to get you the last four of your work phone, or home
    phone, or whatever, if they're available. It's an instant thing right
    on the computer. No big deal.

    And you're right--if they can port numbers over, then they can put
    whatever number they want into the system.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    i requested my # like 2 years ago.... 233-0123

    They don't allow it anymore though.

    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
    > In article <jN_mc.56266$Xj6.945005@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > "Robert A. Cibiras" <np-pacibiras@att.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Nextel
    > > tells me that numbers cannot be chosen with their
    > > software. Exactly what I was told was, "if the
    > > President of the United States wanted a particular
    > > number, he couldn't get it". This sounds like a
    > > load of BS to me.
    >
    > To me, too, given that I chose two numbers a few years ago with
    > Cingular. My rep asked me as part of the deal, "what numbers do you
    > want?" He tries to get you the last four of your work phone, or home
    > phone, or whatever, if they're available. It's an instant thing right
    > on the computer. No big deal.
    >
    > And you're right--if they can port numbers over, then they can put
    > whatever number they want into the system.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 06:06:07 GMT, "Robert A. Cibiras"
    <np-pacibiras@att.net> wrote:

    >Nextel tells me that numbers cannot be chosen with their
    >software. Exactly what I was told was, "if the
    >President of the United States wanted a particular
    >number, he couldn't get it". This sounds like a
    >load of BS to me. If I can port a number, somebody
    >enters it into the computer, so why the resistance
    >to that same someone entering a Nextel number into
    >their own system?

    Because when you're porting a number, you're using a different system
    than choosing a vanity number.

    The ability for nextel to choose a vanity number went away a few years
    ago, and we haven't had any luck in getting our customers vanity
    numbers since.

    Evan
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I sell Nextel's and I have not done it in a while but they do do it.
    They call it vanity numbers and they charge $100 to do it. So most
    people don't do it or want to do it.

    Things I got from your message:

    Alternate line service - is for 2nd phone numbers on a Nextel phone.
    Meaning you have to have a 1st number to add the 2nd on. It would be
    for a person that has a company phone and is not allowed to make
    personal calls. Instead of getting a 2nd phone he just gets a 2nd
    number on the phone and has the billing to his house. It is cheaper
    because Nextel doesn't have to issue you a Nextel 2-way number.

    If you are interested in Nextel service use the Nextel.com website put
    in the zip code and wala you have the coverage. It is fairly
    accurate.

    If you are going to port your number in 14 days why even go through
    the head ache or the waste of time for arguing about a number? Just
    forward your at&t number to the Nextel.

    Always port the number then do a follow up to at&t. Porting the
    number automatically cancels the account (unless you are porting from
    Nextel, they sign you on number guard which will deny all port request
    unless you tell them in advance.)

    Never cancel 1st. It becomes property of AT&t again.

    "Robert A. Cibiras" <np-pacibiras@att.net> wrote in message news:<jN_mc.56266$Xj6.945005@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
    > I am in the Florida Panhandle. I am entertaining
    > moving my service from ATT to Nextel. The DC, free
    > incoming calls, alternate line service with free
    > nights and weekends all seem like a pretty good
    > deal. I have read some of the threads regarding
    > Nextel's service, or lack thereof, but ATT ranges
    > from marginal to non-existent over about 1/3 of
    > the area where I travel on a daily basis. Not to
    > mention that their customer service is almost
    > totally extinct. While I will port my current
    > number on 5-24, I need to add an additional new
    > number, which I wantbe the same as my pager and
    > current cell number (different exchanges, of
    > course)for the convenience of my customers. Nextel
    > tells me that numbers cannot be chosen with their
    > software. Exactly what I was told was, "if the
    > President of the United States wanted a particular
    > number, he couldn't get it". This sounds like a
    > load of BS to me. If I can port a number, somebody
    > enters it into the computer, so why the resistance
    > to that same someone entering a Nextel number into
    > their own system? I have had cell service since
    > 1991, pager service for about the same length of
    > time, and have added/modified service from time to
    > time, and I have never NOT picked my number.
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can get this done?
    >
    > One more question. Someone asked me this, and I
    > don't know. If someone ports a number to another
    > company, say from ATT to Nextel, fulfills the
    > contract, and then cancels service without porting
    > the number elsewhere, who gets the number? Does it
    > revert back to ATT, or is it now Nextel's to
    > distribute to someone else?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > RAC

Nextel At&T Internet Service Providers