What is Software distribution service 2.0 and how can it b..

July 21, 2005 6:42:08 PM

System specs: HP Pavilion 761c / P4 1.9Ghz / 512mb / 120gb HD Win XP home SP2
complete list here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=u...[/u
rl]

I was reading through some of the older messages about Software distribution
services 2.0 in this forum other forums around the net and see that others
have had troubles with this file as well but didn't see if anyone had
figured out what it is or how to resolve the many issues it's causing. I'm
guessing that Software distribution services 2.0 was part of an MS
update? I don't use auto updates and only install critical updates from MS
so
it must've been in the critical update list but I don't recall seeing it.
Now for some reason I'm having issues browsing certain websites (just like
others that i've read about) and my ISP speed while browsing has dropped
about half
if not more depending on the site since SDS 2.0 was installed. I've ran
speed tests at DSLreports.com and my speeds are a lot slower than the norm
when testing throughput up and down stream. But it really slows down while
browsing the web with IE. IE will hang up when a URL is clicked on then in
a moment or two it will start loading the page or it can take up to five
minutes to load certain pages.

I tried to use system restore to go back before it's install but it fails.
(System restore is actually where I found out that this Software distribution
service 2.0 had been installed. Software distribution service 2.0 has
installed itself twice, first on the 9th then again on the 12th after
rebooting.)

I've also checked with my ISP to see if they have been having any issues over
the last week or so but nothing has been reported. Then I even had them
come out and check the cable line and modem. They hooked up one of their
laptops and were pulling maxed out speeds and were able to access every
website with ease that I'm having troubles with at top speeds. So now I can
rule out it being my cable connection totally.

Whatever Software distribution service 2.0 is that's where the problem is
coming from. Is there a fix for this or a way to remove it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. -kwik" target="_blank">
[...]

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:09:02 PM

This question was bothering me, as I saw it in the System Restore as a backup
date, too - when I was having a problem with my Disk Defragmenter not
finishing and saying that there was some files that would not defragment and
the report would never any that couldn't defragment. Even after I installed
pagedefrag that was recommended. My Screensaver would not work as fast when
I would change from one to the other or None. The actual screensaver would
work all right, just getting it done by clicking Apply or OK.

I did delete a free program (I hadn't even used it, yet) that took over the
setting for My Money File (Microsoft) to open it up. When I deleted that
program (MorphBuster vs.5.0) then the Money File was back to it's normal
then, too. Wish I had just used the System Restore instead of deleting that
program.

But when I was having the Disk Defragmenter problem then is when I really
looked at the System Restore and saw two instances of Software Distribution
Service 2.0 listed with no restore points before the first one!

So I just Restored the computer to the last restore point and was hoping
that the defrag problem would be cleared up if the Restore files was causing
the problem - that was probably dumb, I know but I am kind of old and don't
always do the right thing sometimes!

So you can see why your problem bothered me, too as I saw that Software
Distribution Service 2.0 in -my- System Restore!!

I'm hoping someone will answer your post so I can learn what it is, too!

lme

!