GeForce = Ultimate gaming laptop?

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Who in the market for a new laptop can overlook the new GeForce chip? Not me! It looks awesome though it only has 16 megs memory. Has anyone used one yet? I'm torn between the Toshiba 2805-S402 and the Sager NP2260V, which while built mostly from Toshiba parts seems to be less of a machine. Where I'm torn is the video cards. Is the GeForce 16 meg really worth that much extra cash over the 32 meg SIS630s onboard video? I've never used either one.

The Sager has more features and comes in a not-so-monsterous size as the Toshiba (14" vs. 15") and has a better price tag, but I'd love to be able to play an Open GL game here and there when I'm stuck on the road. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes- that SiS chip performs horribly. It can barely do 17fps in quake at 1024 768 "fast" mode. Tom did a review on that chipset. It's as slow as a Vanta.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

Ultimate gaming laptop is almost a contradiction in terms. Yes, the GO may be the fastest laptop graphics solution, but it doesn't perform as well as the desktop MX, especially not with 16MB of memory. It also consumes a fair whack of power. I suppose if you want to play the occasional game of Quake 3 on the road though, it is the best solution.

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Thanks. Sounds like it isn't worth upgrading to either, really. My current laptop's Ati 8mb Rage LT sucks, but it runs Unreal (barely!) Maybe I'll wait for the next generation. :)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Geforce2 GO comes mostly in 32MB versoins, you can get 16MB if you're short on cash.

--------
Time is never time at all. You can never ever leave, without leaving a piece of you.

G

Don't let me put you off upgrading! The GO is great for the occasional game of quake 3 (remember, most modern games can still be played on a TNT2). Also remember you won't be going any higher than 1024x768, so the GO is a viable option.

You'll always be dissapointed with laptop graphics, cos they always lag their desktop equivilents. It's just at the moment, the lag is a bit less than usual.

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
s3 Supersavage(little faster then savage4) or Mobile Radeon(Radeon VE but little slower) there good choices to beside nvidia is evil like i told you all

Check out my RIG <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rcf84/home.html" target="_new">Rcf84's celeron machine</A>

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I haven't seen the 32mb GeForce in a laptop yet. Is someone offering it? The Toshiba Satellite is the only machine I've seen with the GeForce chip at all. What I really want is a 14" (good) screen and a 750-1ghz processor. I'm open to suggestions. :) Thanks for the input.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Dell has a 1GHz laptop with the 32MB version of the GeForce2 GO.

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

TRENDING THREADS