hard drive

July 21, 2005 10:43:01 PM

My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?

Thnak you

More about : hard drive

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:49:47 AM

Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate
switches to copy everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and run a Repair setup of XP.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA1D8F83-8655-4494-8B48-3EE7E1D183E6@microsoft.com...
> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
>
> Thnak you

July 22, 2005 4:03:32 PM

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use
> a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate switches to copy
> everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and
> run a Repair setup of XP.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today.
>> What is
>> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing
>> all of
>> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new
>> hd?
>>
>> Thnak you

angel:
Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive
using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True
Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those
programs (although they can be *very* valuable for performing future
backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a
disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell
drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?

My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate
switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP environment, and
for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.

I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate
instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If you feel
uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician
do the work. It's not terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like
everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it
before it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
Anna
July 22, 2005 4:03:33 PM

You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows command prompt, and xcopy.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message news:uLD%23qbtjFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23EOhavrjFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the
>> appropriate switches to copy everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and run a Repair setup of XP.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA1D8F83-8655-4494-8B48-3EE7E1D183E6@microsoft.com...
>>> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
>>> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
>>> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
>>>
>>> Thnak you
>

> angel:
> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton
> Ghost or Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those programs (although they can be
> *very* valuable for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a disk-cloning utility
> designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?
>
> My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP
> environment, and for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
>
> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate instructions for doing so were included with your
> Dell drive. If you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician do the work. It's not
> terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it before it
> can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
> Anna

July 22, 2005 4:11:02 PM

Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people like
you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
configure and clone my hard drive.

ty

"Anna" wrote:

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use
> > a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate switches to copy
> > everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and
> > run a Repair setup of XP.
> >
> > --
> > Mark L. Ferguson
> > FAQ for Windows Antispy
> > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> > "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today.
> >> What is
> >> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing
> >> all of
> >> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new
> >> hd?
> >>
> >> Thnak you
>

> angel:
> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive
> using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True
> Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those
> programs (although they can be *very* valuable for performing future
> backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a
> disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell
> drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?
>
> My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate
> switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP environment, and
> for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
>
> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate
> instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If you feel
> uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician
> do the work. It's not terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like
> everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it
> before it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
> Anna

July 22, 2005 4:55:42 PM

> You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows
> command prompt, and xcopy.
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson

Regardless of how one can invoke the xcopy command -- either from a DOS
bootable floppy disk or from the command prompt within XP -- it's an iffy &
tortuous process at best. In my experience, it seldom, if ever, works in an
XP environment in terms of creating a true clone that is bootable. My advice
still stands -- don't use it.
Anna
July 22, 2005 7:36:22 PM

news:D B7DCB5E-4B59-43D4-895B-413ADD2CA202@microsoft.com...
> Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
> hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people
> like
> you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
> configure and clone my hard drive.
>
> ty

angel:
I see that you're corresponding in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
newsgroup with Mr. Wendell on this identical issue. So perhaps it would be
best if you continue to do so in order not to get conflicting or differing
advice from me which might further confuse you because of our different
approaches.
Anna
July 22, 2005 7:36:23 PM

Anna, I like you approach much better can you help.

Thank you

"Anna" wrote:

> >> angel:
>

> > "Anna" wrote:
> >> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old
> >> drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or
> >> Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of
> >> purchasing one of those programs (although they can be *very* valuable
> >> for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have
> >> freely available a disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps
> >> the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can
> >> get it from Dell?
> >>
> >> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or
> >> adequate instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If
> >> you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a
> >> professional technician do the work. It's not terribly difficult to
> >> replace a HD, but like
> >> everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done
> >> it before it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
> >> Anna
>

> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D B7DCB5E-4B59-43D4-895B-413ADD2CA202@microsoft.com...
> > Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
> > hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people
> > like
> > you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
> > configure and clone my hard drive.
> >
> > ty
>

> angel:
> I see that you're corresponding in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> newsgroup with Mr. Wendell on this identical issue. So perhaps it would be
> best if you continue to do so in order not to get conflicting or differing
> advice from me which might further confuse you because of our different
> approaches.
> Anna

July 22, 2005 7:36:24 PM

Anna, I did not want to say it the forum but I definitely would not follow
wendells instructions I much rather listen to you.

Thank you,

Angel Luberta

"angel" wrote:

> Anna, I like you approach much better can you help.
>
> Thank you

> > "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D B7DCB5E-4B59-43D4-895B-413ADD2CA202@microsoft.com...
> > > Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
> > > hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people
> > > like
> > > you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
> > > configure and clone my hard drive.
> > >
> > > ty
> >

> > angel:
> > I see that you're corresponding in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> > newsgroup with Mr. Wendell on this identical issue. So perhaps it would be
> > best if you continue to do so in order not to get conflicting or differing
> > advice from me which might further confuse you because of our different
> > approaches.
> > Anna

July 22, 2005 9:28:31 PM

> Anna, I like you approach much better can you help.
>
> Thank you

angel:
Please understand that in no way am I contradicting or disputing the advice
& recommendations Mr. Wendell is, or will be, providing you. I've no reason
to believe that whatever information he provides you would not be helpful to
you re this issue. But there can be multiple approaches to solving this or
that computer problem, and although each one may be a valid way of
accomplishing the desired objective, it will frequently confuse the
inexperienced user because of the differing approaches. So it's best to
follow one course of action until that time you determine that particular
approach is not a practical, workable solution to your particular problem.

Having said all that, I'm not entirely sure where to start. So let me ask
you a few questions...

1. Have you removed your "failing" drive from your computer, and installed
the new one Dell sent you? Or is the original drive still connected?

2. How do you know your original drive is "failing"? Are you able to boot to
a Desktop with it? Have you run a diagnostic test on that drive?

3. Assuming your old drive is mechanically/electronically defective in some
way which accounts for its "failing", do you have any reason to believe that
the contents of the drive, i.e., the operating system, may be corrupted?

3. What is the make of the replacement drive Dell sent you? Is it a Serial
ATA (SATA) drive? Or is it a PATA drive? Do you know the difference?

4. Did this new drive come with any software that would allow you to copy
(clone) the contents of the old drive to this new one?

5. Assuming that your "failing" drive can be accessed, i.e., it boots to a
Desktop without any problem, and that as far as you know its contents are
without corruption, would you be able to get to the inside of your computer
case and connect the new drive to a data cable connector and power plug? If
not, would you have a friend or acquaintance to help you do this?

6. Do you have a USB or Firewire external hard drive enclosure in which to
install that new drive? If so, we can accomplish the disk-to-disk cloning
without the need to have initially installed both drives internally. If we
went that route, i.e., using a USBEHD to accomplish the cloning operation,
naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
following the cloning operation.

angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
that.

Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and
if so, which one?
Anna
July 22, 2005 9:28:32 PM

Anna, No I'm not bewildered thank you for asking, my hd from dell did not
come with anything no instructions nothing I wonder if I made a mistake
buying their product. Anyway I have it now so I guess I will use it, I guess
I will buy acronis as it is recommended in this forum as being the best.

ty

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
> naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
> following the cloning operation.
>
> angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
> but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
> frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
> bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
> desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
> hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
> that.
>
> Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
> Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
> accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
> purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and

July 22, 2005 9:28:33 PM

Anna, I will be replacing my system battery as well should I do that first
and boot my computer prior to installing my hd.

"angel" wrote:

> [...]
> > naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
> > following the cloning operation.
> >
> > angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
> > but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
> > frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
> > bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
> > desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
> > hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
> > that.
> >
> > Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
> > Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
> > accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
> > purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and

July 22, 2005 10:05:02 PM

this is why I know my hard drive is failing
DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
SECONDARY SATA
DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
PRIMARY IDE
DRIVE 0- WDC WD1200JB-75CRAO-FAIL …RETURN CODE 7

DRIVE 1 NO DEVICE
SECONDARY IDE
DRIVE 0: LITEON DVD- ROM LTD163
DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED

DRIVE 1 NEC DVD + RW NO 1100A
DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED

"angel" wrote:

> [...]
> > > naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
> > > following the cloning operation.
> > >
> > > angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
> > > but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
> > > frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
> > > bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
> > > desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
> > > hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
> > > that.
> > >
> > > Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
> > > Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
> > > accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
> > > purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and

July 22, 2005 10:17:01 PM

anna

Here we go I will answer all of your questions.
#1 No I have not installed my new drive still using old drive
#2 I ran diagnostic test
#3 I don’t believe that there is any corruption
#4 Make of new hd western digital caviar se
wd1600 Enhanced IDE drive 160.0gb
and it did not come with any information or brackets
#5 As far as I know there is no corruption and yes I can get inside of my
computer
#6 I do not havean external harddrive
#7 If I need to buy a disk imaging program I decided on acronis
Finally I’m not bewildered always willing to try something new.
How will I be able to install new hd for cloning if it did not come with
brackets?

Thanks for your help

"angel" wrote:

> this is why I know my hard drive is failing
> DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
> SECONDARY SATA
> DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
> PRIMARY IDE
> DRIVE 0- WDC WD1200JB-75CRAO-FAIL …RETURN CODE 7
>
> DRIVE 1 NO DEVICE
> SECONDARY IDE
> DRIVE 0: LITEON DVD- ROM LTD163
> DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED
>
> DRIVE 1 NEC DVD + RW NO 1100A
> DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED
>

> "angel" wrote:
>
> > Anna, I will be replacing my system battery as well should I do that first
> > and boot my computer prior to installing my hd.
> >
> > "angel" wrote:
> >
> > > Anna, No I'm not bewildered thank you for asking, my hd from dell did not
> > > come with anything no instructions nothing I wonder if I made a mistake
> > > buying their product. Anyway I have it now so I guess I will use it, I guess
> > > I will buy acronis as it is recommended in this forum as being the best.
> > >
> > > ty

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:18:45 AM

xcopy doesn't properly support long file names. xxcopy or similar is better,
but it's far from an easy way to perform this task. Best avoided, especially
without experience.

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows
> command prompt, and xcopy.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve.
>>> Use a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate switches to
>>> copy everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting,
>>> and run a Repair setup of XP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark L. Ferguson
>>> FAQ for Windows Antispy
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> angel:
>> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old
>> drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or
>> Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of
>> purchasing one of those programs (although they can be *very* valuable
>> for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have
>> freely available a disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps
>> the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can
>> get it from Dell?
>>
>> My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate
>> switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP environment,
>> and for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
>>
>> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or
>> adequate instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If
>> you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a
>> professional technician do the work. It's not terribly difficult to
>> replace a HD, but like everything else involving computer hardware
>> changes, if you haven't done it before it can be a bewildering &
>> frustrating experience.
>> Anna

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:29:12 AM

Show me a simple example of the long file name failure of xcopy in a windows command prompt. There are thousands of possible files
in windows you might use to demonstrate the bug. I have never been able to find one.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message news:D brkb6$nhn$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> xcopy doesn't properly support long file names. xxcopy or similar is better, but it's far from an easy way to perform this task.
> Best avoided, especially without experience.
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eeyMdftjFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows command prompt, and xcopy.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

>>> angel:
>>> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's
>>> Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those programs (although
>>> they can be *very* valuable for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a disk-cloning
>>> utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?
>>>
>>> My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP
>>> environment, and for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
>>>
>>> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate instructions for doing so were included with your
>>> Dell drive. If you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician do the work. It's not
>>> terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it before
>>> it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
>>> Anna

July 23, 2005 2:54:40 PM

> anna
>
> Here we go I will answer all of your questions.
> #1 No I have not installed my new drive still using old drive
> #2 I ran diagnostic test
> #3 I don't believe that there is any corruption
> #4 Make of new hd western digital caviar se
> wd1600 Enhanced IDE drive 160.0gb
> and it did not come with any information or brackets
> #5 As far as I know there is no corruption and yes I can get inside of my
> computer
> #6 I do not havean external harddrive
> #7 If I need to buy a disk imaging program I decided on acronis
> Finally I'm not bewildered always willing to try something new.
> How will I be able to install new hd for cloning if it did not come with
> brackets?
>
> Thanks for your help

>> this is why I know my hard drive is failing
>> DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
>> SECONDARY SATA
>> DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
>> PRIMARY IDE
>> DRIVE 0- WDC WD1200JB-75CRAO-FAIL .RETURN CODE 7
>>
>> DRIVE 1 NO DEVICE
>> SECONDARY IDE
>> DRIVE 0: LITEON DVD- ROM LTD163
>> DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED
>>
>> DRIVE 1 NEC DVD + RW NO 1100A
>> DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED

Anna, I will be replacing my system battery as well should I do that first
and boot my computer prior to installing my hd.
Anna, No I'm not bewildered thank you for asking, my hd from dell did not
come with anything no instructions nothing I wonder if I made a mistake
buying their product. Anyway I have it now so I guess I will use it, I
guess
I will buy acronis as it is recommended in this forum as being the best.

angel:
Since your new replacement drive is a Western Digital, perhaps the most
cost-effective way to proceed is to download a program from WD (available
from their website) which will allow you to undertake the cloning operation,
i.e., copying the entire contents of your old drive to the new WD drive. But
before getting to that, you'll need to connect (temporarily) your new WD
drive.

I assume you know how to gain access to your computer's components by
removing the case's side panel - the left one as you face the computer. You
probably will also have to remove the right panel in order to eventually
permanently install the new HD, but for the moment that should not be
necessary. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG YOUR AC POWER CORD BEFORE UNDERTAKING
THE FOLLOWING...

What we want to do is to connect the new drive to an available IDE data
cable (commonly called a "ribbon" cable) connector and a power plug (usually
a "Molex" plug). Note how your present drive is connected to the ribbon
cable and power plug. It will basically be the same way when you connect the
new drive. Remember that we're *temporarily* connecting the new drive; after
the cloning operation we will permanently connect it.

Your new drive will arrive (most likely) jumpered Cable Select (CS). For the
moment leave it that way; we may later have to change the jumper setting.

From your description, it would seem that you have an available IDE
connector on the cable that's presently attached to your old installed
drive. The end connector (Master) is connected to that drive and there
should be a middle connector (Slave position) on that cable that's free.
It's that connector that you will use to connect to the new drive. It's
really not important *what* IDE cable connector is attached to the new drive
for this cloning operation to come. You could even detach one of the
connectors to your optical drives and connect that to the new drive for our
purposes if it was more convenient to do so. But if there *is* a free middle
connector on the cable going to the old installed drive and it's physically
convenient to connect to the new drive, use that one.

You'll need a box or some other contraption placed just outside the case on
which to place the new hard drive after you connect it to the data cable &
power plug as described above. A cardboard shoe box is fine. You just don't
want the drive to be dangling precariously from the cable connections, so
ensure that it's propped up reasonably well.

Please review the above and see if you feel comfortable about this
installation process. If you do, then we'll go on to the actual cloning
process using the WD utility. I'll provide you with information about
downloading, installing, and using that utility to clone the contents of
your old drive to the new one..

BTW, you mention you're planning to change your motherboard's battery. Is
there some reason for this? I assume your computer is not much older than
two years or so and ordinarily a battery change shouldn't be necessary. It
won't hurt, of course, assuming you correctly install the right battery, but
why are you doing so?
Anna
July 23, 2005 2:54:41 PM

Anna, I really appreciate all of your help I'm ready to do this today my hd
is (wd1600jb-75gvco) as far as the battery is concerned I have been getting
system battery voltage is low for several months now and I have to press f1
to boot. My computer is about 2 years old and was very surprised that the
battery went so quick. Should I replace the battery first and then connect
and restart prior to messing around with my new hd?

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
> power plug as described above. A cardboard shoe box is fine. You just don't
> want the drive to be dangling precariously from the cable connections, so
> ensure that it's propped up reasonably well.
>
> Please review the above and see if you feel comfortable about this
> installation process. If you do, then we'll go on to the actual cloning
> process using the WD utility. I'll provide you with information about
> downloading, installing, and using that utility to clone the contents of
> your old drive to the new one..
>
> BTW, you mention you're planning to change your motherboard's battery. Is
> there some reason for this? I assume your computer is not much older than
> two years or so and ordinarily a battery change shouldn't be necessary. It
> won't hurt, of course, assuming you correctly install the right battery, but

July 23, 2005 5:18:59 PM

> Anna, I really appreciate all of your help I'm ready to do this today my
> hd
> is (wd1600jb-75gvco) as far as the battery is concerned I have been
> getting
> system battery voltage is low for several months now and I have to press
> f1
> to boot. My computer is about 2 years old and was very surprised that the
> battery went so quick. Should I replace the battery first and then connect
> and restart prior to messing around with my new hd?

angel:
If you're going to change the battery, it's probably wise to do so before we
get into the process we've been discussing. It's a possibility that the low
system battery voltage message you were getting was because of the failing
HD. May also be a "false alarm" since those system battery voltage testers
are notoriously inaccurate. But there's no harm in replacing the battery.
Just make sure the battery is specifically designed for your machine, OK?
Anna

P.S.
I'll shortly be sending you step-by-step instructions detailing the cloning
process.
July 25, 2005 3:30:30 PM

Anna, I finally cloned my new hd but I’m not sure how it is going to turn out
for a couple of reasons, first let me tell you that I was able to boot the
new drive but it appears that I’m going to have to run a repair on it.
My old hd on my computer properties said that I have used space
29,353,537,536 the new one says used space 23,646,105,600 not sure why it’s
less unless if it’s missing files or because I still need to run the repairs
to activate certain programs.
I did receive this error:
Data Lifeguard has detected that the only drive in your system is the
windows drive.
Data Lifeguard for windows will not allow you to setup your windows drive.
If you wish to setup your windows drive, you may use Data lifeguard for dos.
I really appreciate your help, it was late last night so I was not able to
run a repair also my network for that computer is not working so I will be
fixing that tonight

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
> >> the
> >> moment leave it that way; we may later have to change the jumper setting.
> >>
> >> From your description, it would seem that you have an available IDE
> >> connector on the cable that's presently attached to your old installed
> >> drive. The end connector (Master) is connected to that drive and there
> >> should be a middle connector (Slave position) on that cable that's free.
> >> It's that connector that you will use to connect to the new drive. It's
> >> really not important *what* IDE cable connector is attached to the new
> >> drive
> >> for this cloning operation to come. You could even detach one of the
> >> connectors to your optical drives and connect that to the new drive for
> >> our
> >> purposes if it was more convenient to do so. But if there *is* a free
July 25, 2005 6:40:05 PM

angel:
It's really hard to tell what exactly happened, but if you're able to boot
to a Desktop with the new drive without any system error messages and the
cloned drive is functioning normally, then it would seem that the cloning
operation was successful. You previously said that your old drive was
failing so I assume you were going to dump it, no?
Anna

> [...]
>> > already
>> > tried the cloning and every thing seemed like it was going pretty good
>> > it
>> > did
>> > take along time almost 5 hours. But I was not able to boot my computer
>> > with
>> > the new hd is it because the wrong option was selected or do you think
>> > it
>> > had
>> > to do with the following 3 errors that I received at the end. 1-
>> > gobackio.bin
>> > (failed to open destination failed) 2- system volume information\mount
>> > point
>> > remote database (failed to open destination failed) 3-
>> > 1\windows\memory.dmp
>> > (read file)
>> >
>> > Thank you for all of your help please advise

July 25, 2005 6:40:06 PM

Anna. Yes I plan on just using the new hd still have the old one in, I'm at
work and my family wont be able to use the computer because I have not been
able to run the repair. Do you have any idea what that error meant from data
about using data lifeguard for dos to install windows and about data
lifeguard not letting me to setup windows.

"Anna" wrote:

> angel:
> It's really hard to tell what exactly happened, but if you're able to boot
> to a Desktop with the new drive without any system error messages and the
> cloned drive is functioning normally, then it would seem that the cloning
> operation was successful. You previously said that your old drive was
> failing so I assume you were going to dump it, no?
> Anna
>

> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anna, I finally cloned my new hd but I'm not sure how it is going to turn
> > out
> > for a couple of reasons, first let me tell you that I was able to boot the
> > new drive but it appears that I'm going to have to run a repair on it.
> > My old hd on my computer properties said that I have used space
> > 29,353,537,536 the new one says used space 23,646,105,600 not sure why it's
> > less unless if it's missing files or because I still need to run the
> > repairs
> > to activate certain programs.
> > I did receive this error:
> > Data Lifeguard has detected that the only drive in your system is the
> > windows drive.
> > Data Lifeguard for windows will not allow you to setup your windows drive.
> > If you wish to setup your windows drive, you may use Data lifeguard for
> > dos.
> > I really appreciate your help, it was late last night so I was not able to
> > run a repair also my network for that computer is not working so I will be
> > fixing that tonight
> >

> > "Anna" wrote:
> >
> >> angel:
> >> It's hard to tell. Try the cloning process again, but this time, of
> >> course,
> >> select the correct option. I'm sorry I misled you on this, but no
> >> permanent
> >> harm has been done except a waste of your time which I regret. Hopefully
> >> you'll get a cloned, bootable drive.
> >>
> >> Insofar as the reported errors you rec'd., again, it's practically
> >> impossible to tell at this point whether those caused the problem over &
> >> beyond selecting the wrong option at the beginning of the cloning
> >> process.
> >> The main consideration is that your source disk (the one you reported as
> >> "failing") is free of system files corruption so that it won't be
> >> transferring its "problems" to the new drive. If the source drive is
> >> corruption-free, we'll be able to clone that drive one way or another.
> >> Anna
> >>

> >> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 27, 2005 3:32:05 PM

Thanks Anna, I guess I should use data lifeguard to reformat prior to the
clean install. Please let me know.

"angel" wrote:

> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
>
> Thnak you

July 30, 2005 6:09:03 PM

Anna, Just wanted to say that I appreciated all of your help I ended up
rebuilding my new hd I guess that was the right thing to do. I do have one
more question for you I still have some files and favorites that I would like
to copy from my old hd but when I reconnected it the hd was not recognized it
said to replace the disk.

Thanks

"angel" wrote:

> Thanks Anna, I guess I should use data lifeguard to reformat prior to the
> clean install. Please let me know.
>
> "angel" wrote:
>
> > My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
> > the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
> > the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
> >
> > Thnak you

July 31, 2005 4:06:26 AM

angel:
From what you've reported, it would seem that your old drive is truly
defective. It is possible that by using one of the so-called "data recovery"
programs you possibly may gain access to some or all of the data on that
drive but it's an "iffy" process at best. Do a Google search for "data
recovery programs". Many of these programs have a demo version available
which might give you some idea as to the program's usefulness in your
situation. Perhaps other readers of this thread may suggest particular
programs that have proven successful for them.

Good luck.
Anna

!