hard drive

My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?

Thnak you
25 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate
    switches to copy everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and run a Repair setup of XP.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use
    > a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate switches to copy
    > everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and
    > run a Repair setup of XP.
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today.
    >> What is
    >> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing
    >> all of
    >> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new
    >> hd?
    >>
    >> Thnak you

    angel:
    Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive
    using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True
    Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those
    programs (although they can be *very* valuable for performing future
    backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a
    disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell
    drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?

    My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate
    switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP environment, and
    for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.

    I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate
    instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If you feel
    uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician
    do the work. It's not terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like
    everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it
    before it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
    Anna

    You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows command prompt, and xcopy.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message news:uLD%23qbtjFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23EOhavrjFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve. Use a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the
    >> appropriate switches to copy everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting, and run a Repair setup of XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA1D8F83-8655-4494-8B48-3EE7E1D183E6@microsoft.com...
    >>> My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
    >>> the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
    >>> the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
    >>>
    >>> Thnak you
    >

    > angel:
    > Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton
    > Ghost or Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those programs (although they can be
    > *very* valuable for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a disk-cloning utility
    > designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?
    >
    > My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP
    > environment, and for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
    >
    > I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate instructions for doing so were included with your
    > Dell drive. If you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician do the work. It's not
    > terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it before it
    > can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
    > Anna

    Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
    hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people like
    you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
    configure and clone my hard drive.

    ty

    > You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows
    > command prompt, and xcopy.
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson

    Regardless of how one can invoke the xcopy command -- either from a DOS
    bootable floppy disk or from the command prompt within XP -- it's an iffy &
    tortuous process at best. In my experience, it seldom, if ever, works in an
    XP environment in terms of creating a true clone that is bootable. My advice
    still stands -- don't use it.
    Anna

    > Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
    > hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people
    > like
    > you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
    > configure and clone my hard drive.
    >
    > ty

    angel:
    I see that you're corresponding in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    newsgroup with Mr. Wendell on this identical issue. So perhaps it would be
    best if you continue to do so in order not to get conflicting or differing
    advice from me which might further confuse you because of our different
    approaches.
    Anna

    Anna, I like you approach much better can you help.

    Thank you

    "Anna" wrote:

    > >> angel:
    >

    > > "Anna" wrote:
    > >> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old
    > >> drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or
    > >> Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of
    > >> purchasing one of those programs (although they can be *very* valuable
    > >> for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have
    > >> freely available a disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps
    > >> the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can
    > >> get it from Dell?
    > >>
    > >> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or
    > >> adequate instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If
    > >> you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a
    > >> professional technician do the work. It's not terribly difficult to
    > >> replace a HD, but like
    > >> everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done
    > >> it before it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
    > >> Anna
    >

    > "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Anna, thanks for your help I'm not sure how to connect & configure my new
    > > hard drive, but with a little bit of guidance or knowledge from people
    > > like
    > > you I feel comfortable doing it. I just need a brief description how to
    > > configure and clone my hard drive.
    > >
    > > ty
    >

    > angel:
    > I see that you're corresponding in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    > newsgroup with Mr. Wendell on this identical issue. So perhaps it would be
    > best if you continue to do so in order not to get conflicting or differing
    > advice from me which might further confuse you because of our different
    > approaches.
    > Anna

    Anna, I did not want to say it the forum but I definitely would not follow
    wendells instructions I much rather listen to you.

    Thank you,

    Angel Luberta

    > Anna, I like you approach much better can you help.
    >
    > Thank you

    angel:
    Please understand that in no way am I contradicting or disputing the advice
    & recommendations Mr. Wendell is, or will be, providing you. I've no reason
    to believe that whatever information he provides you would not be helpful to
    you re this issue. But there can be multiple approaches to solving this or
    that computer problem, and although each one may be a valid way of
    accomplishing the desired objective, it will frequently confuse the
    inexperienced user because of the differing approaches. So it's best to
    follow one course of action until that time you determine that particular
    approach is not a practical, workable solution to your particular problem.

    Having said all that, I'm not entirely sure where to start. So let me ask
    you a few questions...

    1. Have you removed your "failing" drive from your computer, and installed
    the new one Dell sent you? Or is the original drive still connected?

    2. How do you know your original drive is "failing"? Are you able to boot to
    a Desktop with it? Have you run a diagnostic test on that drive?

    3. Assuming your old drive is mechanically/electronically defective in some
    way which accounts for its "failing", do you have any reason to believe that
    the contents of the drive, i.e., the operating system, may be corrupted?

    3. What is the make of the replacement drive Dell sent you? Is it a Serial
    ATA (SATA) drive? Or is it a PATA drive? Do you know the difference?

    4. Did this new drive come with any software that would allow you to copy
    (clone) the contents of the old drive to this new one?

    5. Assuming that your "failing" drive can be accessed, i.e., it boots to a
    Desktop without any problem, and that as far as you know its contents are
    without corruption, would you be able to get to the inside of your computer
    case and connect the new drive to a data cable connector and power plug? If
    not, would you have a friend or acquaintance to help you do this?

    6. Do you have a USB or Firewire external hard drive enclosure in which to
    install that new drive? If so, we can accomplish the disk-to-disk cloning
    without the need to have initially installed both drives internally. If we
    went that route, i.e., using a USBEHD to accomplish the cloning operation,
    naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
    following the cloning operation.

    angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
    but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
    frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
    bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
    desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
    hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
    that.

    Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
    Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
    accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
    purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and
    if so, which one?
    Anna

    Anna, No I'm not bewildered thank you for asking, my hd from dell did not
    come with anything no instructions nothing I wonder if I made a mistake
    buying their product. Anyway I have it now so I guess I will use it, I guess
    I will buy acronis as it is recommended in this forum as being the best.

    ty

    "Anna" wrote:

> [...]
    > naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
    > following the cloning operation.
    >
    > angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
    > but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
    > frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
    > bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
    > desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
    > hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
    > that.
    >
    > Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
    > Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
    > accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
    > purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Anna, I will be replacing my system battery as well should I do that first
    and boot my computer prior to installing my hd.

    "angel" wrote:

> [...]
    > > naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
    > > following the cloning operation.
    > >
    > > angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
    > > but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
    > > frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
    > > bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
    > > desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
    > > hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
    > > that.
    > >
    > > Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
    > > Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
    > > accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
    > > purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    this is why I know my hard drive is failing
    DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
    SECONDARY SATA
    DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
    PRIMARY IDE
    DRIVE 0- WDC WD1200JB-75CRAO-FAIL …RETURN CODE 7

    DRIVE 1 NO DEVICE
    SECONDARY IDE
    DRIVE 0: LITEON DVD- ROM LTD163
    DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED

    DRIVE 1 NEC DVD + RW NO 1100A
    DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED

    "angel" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > naturally we would eventually replace the old drive with the new one
    > > > following the cloning operation.
    > > >
    > > > angel, I realize I'm asking you a lot of detailed, technical questions here,
    > > > but your answers will be important as to the next steps we take. Tell me
    > > > frankly, do you truly understand the import of my questions, or are they
    > > > bewildering to you? I ask that question because if they are, it may be more
    > > > desirable if you could get professional help, at least in terms of the
    > > > hardware changes and manipulations we have been discussing. So think about
    > > > that.
    > > >
    > > > Now as to the disk-to-disk cloning operation...
    > > > Assuming your Dell replacement drive did not come with software to
    > > > accomplish this and no free software is available, are you agreeable to
    > > > purchasing one of the two disk imaging programs I previously mentioned, and

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    anna

    Here we go I will answer all of your questions.
    #1 No I have not installed my new drive still using old drive
    #2 I ran diagnostic test
    #3 I don’t believe that there is any corruption
    #4 Make of new hd western digital caviar se
    wd1600 Enhanced IDE drive 160.0gb
    and it did not come with any information or brackets
    #5 As far as I know there is no corruption and yes I can get inside of my
    computer
    #6 I do not havean external harddrive
    #7 If I need to buy a disk imaging program I decided on acronis
    Finally I’m not bewildered always willing to try something new.
    How will I be able to install new hd for cloning if it did not come with
    brackets?

    Thanks for your help

    "angel" wrote:

    > this is why I know my hard drive is failing
    > DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
    > SECONDARY SATA
    > DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
    > PRIMARY IDE
    > DRIVE 0- WDC WD1200JB-75CRAO-FAIL …RETURN CODE 7
    >
    > DRIVE 1 NO DEVICE
    > SECONDARY IDE
    > DRIVE 0: LITEON DVD- ROM LTD163
    > DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED
    >
    > DRIVE 1 NEC DVD + RW NO 1100A
    > DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED
    >

    > "angel" wrote:
    >
    > > Anna, I will be replacing my system battery as well should I do that first
    > > and boot my computer prior to installing my hd.
    > >
    > > "angel" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Anna, No I'm not bewildered thank you for asking, my hd from dell did not
    > > > come with anything no instructions nothing I wonder if I made a mistake
    > > > buying their product. Anyway I have it now so I guess I will use it, I guess
    > > > I will buy acronis as it is recommended in this forum as being the best.
    > > >
    > > > ty

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    xcopy doesn't properly support long file names. xxcopy or similar is better,
    but it's far from an easy way to perform this task. Best avoided, especially
    without experience.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows
    > command prompt, and xcopy.
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Diskmgmt.msc will partition and format the new drive, put in as salve.
    >>> Use a Windows command promt, and XCOPY with the appropriate switches to
    >>> copy everything to make the mirror. Switch out the master/slave setting,
    >>> and run a Repair setup of XP.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mark L. Ferguson
    >>> FAQ for Windows Antispy
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >>> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> angel:
    >> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old
    >> drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or
    >> Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of
    >> purchasing one of those programs (although they can be *very* valuable
    >> for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have
    >> freely available a disk-cloning utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps
    >> the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can
    >> get it from Dell?
    >>
    >> My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate
    >> switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP environment,
    >> and for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
    >>
    >> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or
    >> adequate instructions for doing so were included with your Dell drive. If
    >> you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a
    >> professional technician do the work. It's not terribly difficult to
    >> replace a HD, but like everything else involving computer hardware
    >> changes, if you haven't done it before it can be a bewildering &
    >> frustrating experience.
    >> Anna

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Show me a simple example of the long file name failure of xcopy in a windows command prompt. There are thousands of possible files
    in windows you might use to demonstrate the bug. I have never been able to find one.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message news:dbrkb6$nhn$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > xcopy doesn't properly support long file names. xxcopy or similar is better, but it's far from an easy way to perform this task.
    > Best avoided, especially without experience.
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eeyMdftjFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> You can't use the "ms-dos xcopy',. As I said, you have to use the "Windows command prompt, and xcopy.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    >>> angel:
    >>> Probably the most practical way is to clone the contents of your old drive using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's
    >>> Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. But if you don't want to incur the expense of purchasing one of those programs (although
    >>> they can be *very* valuable for performing future backups), virtually all HD manufacturers have freely available a disk-cloning
    >>> utility designed for their HDs. Perhaps the replacement Dell drive already came with such a utility or you can get it from Dell?
    >>>
    >>> My advice is *not* to use the DOS xcopy command "with the appropriate switches..." That process is simply not practical in an XP
    >>> environment, and for a multitude of reasons should not be used in your situation.
    >>>
    >>> I assume you know how to connect & configure your new hard drive or adequate instructions for doing so were included with your
    >>> Dell drive. If you feel uncomfortable about this I would recommend you let a professional technician do the work. It's not
    >>> terribly difficult to replace a HD, but like everything else involving computer hardware changes, if you haven't done it before
    >>> it can be a bewildering & frustrating experience.
    >>> Anna

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > anna
    >
    > Here we go I will answer all of your questions.
    > #1 No I have not installed my new drive still using old drive
    > #2 I ran diagnostic test
    > #3 I don't believe that there is any corruption
    > #4 Make of new hd western digital caviar se
    > wd1600 Enhanced IDE drive 160.0gb
    > and it did not come with any information or brackets
    > #5 As far as I know there is no corruption and yes I can get inside of my
    > computer
    > #6 I do not havean external harddrive
    > #7 If I need to buy a disk imaging program I decided on acronis
    > Finally I'm not bewildered always willing to try something new.
    > How will I be able to install new hd for cloning if it did not come with
    > brackets?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    >> this is why I know my hard drive is failing
    >> DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
    >> SECONDARY SATA
    >> DRIVE 0 NO DEVICE
    >> PRIMARY IDE
    >> DRIVE 0- WDC WD1200JB-75CRAO-FAIL .RETURN CODE 7
    >>
    >> DRIVE 1 NO DEVICE
    >> SECONDARY IDE
    >> DRIVE 0: LITEON DVD- ROM LTD163
    >> DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED
    >>
    >> DRIVE 1 NEC DVD + RW NO 1100A
    >> DIAGNOSTICS NOT SUPPORTED

    Anna, I will be replacing my system battery as well should I do that first
    and boot my computer prior to installing my hd.
    Anna, No I'm not bewildered thank you for asking, my hd from dell did not
    come with anything no instructions nothing I wonder if I made a mistake
    buying their product. Anyway I have it now so I guess I will use it, I
    guess
    I will buy acronis as it is recommended in this forum as being the best.

    angel:
    Since your new replacement drive is a Western Digital, perhaps the most
    cost-effective way to proceed is to download a program from WD (available
    from their website) which will allow you to undertake the cloning operation,
    i.e., copying the entire contents of your old drive to the new WD drive. But
    before getting to that, you'll need to connect (temporarily) your new WD
    drive.

    I assume you know how to gain access to your computer's components by
    removing the case's side panel - the left one as you face the computer. You
    probably will also have to remove the right panel in order to eventually
    permanently install the new HD, but for the moment that should not be
    necessary. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG YOUR AC POWER CORD BEFORE UNDERTAKING
    THE FOLLOWING...

    What we want to do is to connect the new drive to an available IDE data
    cable (commonly called a "ribbon" cable) connector and a power plug (usually
    a "Molex" plug). Note how your present drive is connected to the ribbon
    cable and power plug. It will basically be the same way when you connect the
    new drive. Remember that we're *temporarily* connecting the new drive; after
    the cloning operation we will permanently connect it.

    Your new drive will arrive (most likely) jumpered Cable Select (CS). For the
    moment leave it that way; we may later have to change the jumper setting.

    From your description, it would seem that you have an available IDE
    connector on the cable that's presently attached to your old installed
    drive. The end connector (Master) is connected to that drive and there
    should be a middle connector (Slave position) on that cable that's free.
    It's that connector that you will use to connect to the new drive. It's
    really not important *what* IDE cable connector is attached to the new drive
    for this cloning operation to come. You could even detach one of the
    connectors to your optical drives and connect that to the new drive for our
    purposes if it was more convenient to do so. But if there *is* a free middle
    connector on the cable going to the old installed drive and it's physically
    convenient to connect to the new drive, use that one.

    You'll need a box or some other contraption placed just outside the case on
    which to place the new hard drive after you connect it to the data cable &
    power plug as described above. A cardboard shoe box is fine. You just don't
    want the drive to be dangling precariously from the cable connections, so
    ensure that it's propped up reasonably well.

    Please review the above and see if you feel comfortable about this
    installation process. If you do, then we'll go on to the actual cloning
    process using the WD utility. I'll provide you with information about
    downloading, installing, and using that utility to clone the contents of
    your old drive to the new one..

    BTW, you mention you're planning to change your motherboard's battery. Is
    there some reason for this? I assume your computer is not much older than
    two years or so and ordinarily a battery change shouldn't be necessary. It
    won't hurt, of course, assuming you correctly install the right battery, but
    why are you doing so?
    Anna
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Anna, I really appreciate all of your help I'm ready to do this today my hd
    is (wd1600jb-75gvco) as far as the battery is concerned I have been getting
    system battery voltage is low for several months now and I have to press f1
    to boot. My computer is about 2 years old and was very surprised that the
    battery went so quick. Should I replace the battery first and then connect
    and restart prior to messing around with my new hd?

    "Anna" wrote:

> [...]
    > power plug as described above. A cardboard shoe box is fine. You just don't
    > want the drive to be dangling precariously from the cable connections, so
    > ensure that it's propped up reasonably well.
    >
    > Please review the above and see if you feel comfortable about this
    > installation process. If you do, then we'll go on to the actual cloning
    > process using the WD utility. I'll provide you with information about
    > downloading, installing, and using that utility to clone the contents of
    > your old drive to the new one..
    >
    > BTW, you mention you're planning to change your motherboard's battery. Is
    > there some reason for this? I assume your computer is not much older than
    > two years or so and ordinarily a battery change shouldn't be necessary. It
    > won't hurt, of course, assuming you correctly install the right battery, but

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Anna, I really appreciate all of your help I'm ready to do this today my
    > hd
    > is (wd1600jb-75gvco) as far as the battery is concerned I have been
    > getting
    > system battery voltage is low for several months now and I have to press
    > f1
    > to boot. My computer is about 2 years old and was very surprised that the
    > battery went so quick. Should I replace the battery first and then connect
    > and restart prior to messing around with my new hd?

    angel:
    If you're going to change the battery, it's probably wise to do so before we
    get into the process we've been discussing. It's a possibility that the low
    system battery voltage message you were getting was because of the failing
    HD. May also be a "false alarm" since those system battery voltage testers
    are notoriously inaccurate. But there's no harm in replacing the battery.
    Just make sure the battery is specifically designed for your machine, OK?
    Anna

    P.S.
    I'll shortly be sending you step-by-step instructions detailing the cloning
    process.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Anna, I finally cloned my new hd but I’m not sure how it is going to turn out
    for a couple of reasons, first let me tell you that I was able to boot the
    new drive but it appears that I’m going to have to run a repair on it.
    My old hd on my computer properties said that I have used space
    29,353,537,536 the new one says used space 23,646,105,600 not sure why it’s
    less unless if it’s missing files or because I still need to run the repairs
    to activate certain programs.
    I did receive this error:
    Data Lifeguard has detected that the only drive in your system is the
    windows drive.
    Data Lifeguard for windows will not allow you to setup your windows drive.
    If you wish to setup your windows drive, you may use Data lifeguard for dos.
    I really appreciate your help, it was late last night so I was not able to
    run a repair also my network for that computer is not working so I will be
    fixing that tonight

    "Anna" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> the
    > >> moment leave it that way; we may later have to change the jumper setting.
    > >>
    > >> From your description, it would seem that you have an available IDE
    > >> connector on the cable that's presently attached to your old installed
    > >> drive. The end connector (Master) is connected to that drive and there
    > >> should be a middle connector (Slave position) on that cable that's free.
    > >> It's that connector that you will use to connect to the new drive. It's
    > >> really not important *what* IDE cable connector is attached to the new
    > >> drive
    > >> for this cloning operation to come. You could even detach one of the
    > >> connectors to your optical drives and connect that to the new drive for
    > >> our
    > >> purposes if it was more convenient to do so. But if there *is* a free
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    angel:
    It's really hard to tell what exactly happened, but if you're able to boot
    to a Desktop with the new drive without any system error messages and the
    cloned drive is functioning normally, then it would seem that the cloning
    operation was successful. You previously said that your old drive was
    failing so I assume you were going to dump it, no?
    Anna

> [...]
    >> > already
    >> > tried the cloning and every thing seemed like it was going pretty good
    >> > it
    >> > did
    >> > take along time almost 5 hours. But I was not able to boot my computer
    >> > with
    >> > the new hd is it because the wrong option was selected or do you think
    >> > it
    >> > had
    >> > to do with the following 3 errors that I received at the end. 1-
    >> > gobackio.bin
    >> > (failed to open destination failed) 2- system volume information\mount
    >> > point
    >> > remote database (failed to open destination failed) 3-
    >> > 1\windows\memory.dmp
    >> > (read file)
    >> >
    >> > Thank you for all of your help please advise

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Anna. Yes I plan on just using the new hd still have the old one in, I'm at
    work and my family wont be able to use the computer because I have not been
    able to run the repair. Do you have any idea what that error meant from data
    about using data lifeguard for dos to install windows and about data
    lifeguard not letting me to setup windows.

    "Anna" wrote:

    > angel:
    > It's really hard to tell what exactly happened, but if you're able to boot
    > to a Desktop with the new drive without any system error messages and the
    > cloned drive is functioning normally, then it would seem that the cloning
    > operation was successful. You previously said that your old drive was
    > failing so I assume you were going to dump it, no?
    > Anna
    >

    > "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Anna, I finally cloned my new hd but I'm not sure how it is going to turn
    > > out
    > > for a couple of reasons, first let me tell you that I was able to boot the
    > > new drive but it appears that I'm going to have to run a repair on it.
    > > My old hd on my computer properties said that I have used space
    > > 29,353,537,536 the new one says used space 23,646,105,600 not sure why it's
    > > less unless if it's missing files or because I still need to run the
    > > repairs
    > > to activate certain programs.
    > > I did receive this error:
    > > Data Lifeguard has detected that the only drive in your system is the
    > > windows drive.
    > > Data Lifeguard for windows will not allow you to setup your windows drive.
    > > If you wish to setup your windows drive, you may use Data lifeguard for
    > > dos.
    > > I really appreciate your help, it was late last night so I was not able to
    > > run a repair also my network for that computer is not working so I will be
    > > fixing that tonight
    > >

    > > "Anna" wrote:
    > >
    > >> angel:
    > >> It's hard to tell. Try the cloning process again, but this time, of
    > >> course,
    > >> select the correct option. I'm sorry I misled you on this, but no
    > >> permanent
    > >> harm has been done except a waste of your time which I regret. Hopefully
    > >> you'll get a cloned, bootable drive.
    > >>
    > >> Insofar as the reported errors you rec'd., again, it's practically
    > >> impossible to tell at this point whether those caused the problem over &
    > >> beyond selecting the wrong option at the beginning of the cloning
    > >> process.
    > >> The main consideration is that your source disk (the one you reported as
    > >> "failing") is free of system files corruption so that it won't be
    > >> transferring its "problems" to the new drive. If the source drive is
    > >> corruption-free, we'll be able to clone that drive one way or another.
    > >> Anna
    > >>

    > >> "angel" <angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks Anna, I guess I should use data lifeguard to reformat prior to the
    clean install. Please let me know.

    "angel" wrote:

    > My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
    > the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
    > the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
    >
    > Thnak you

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Anna, Just wanted to say that I appreciated all of your help I ended up
    rebuilding my new hd I guess that was the right thing to do. I do have one
    more question for you I still have some files and favorites that I would like
    to copy from my old hd but when I reconnected it the hd was not recognized it
    said to replace the disk.

    Thanks

    "angel" wrote:

    > Thanks Anna, I guess I should use data lifeguard to reformat prior to the
    > clean install. Please let me know.
    >
    > "angel" wrote:
    >
    > > My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today. What is
    > > the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing all of
    > > the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the new hd?
    > >
    > > Thnak you

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    angel:
    From what you've reported, it would seem that your old drive is truly
    defective. It is possible that by using one of the so-called "data recovery"
    programs you possibly may gain access to some or all of the data on that
    drive but it's an "iffy" process at best. Do a Google search for "data
    recovery programs". Many of these programs have a demo version available
    which might give you some idea as to the program's usefulness in your
    situation. Perhaps other readers of this thread may suggest particular
    programs that have proven successful for them.

    Good luck.
    Anna

    > Anna, Just wanted to say that I appreciated all of your help I ended up
    > rebuilding my new hd I guess that was the right thing to do. I do have one
    > more question for you I still have some files and favorites that I would
    > like
    > to copy from my old hd but when I reconnected it the hd was not recognized
    > it
    > said to replace the disk.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "angel" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Anna, I guess I should use data lifeguard to reformat prior to the
    >> clean install. Please let me know.
    >>
    >> "angel" wrote:
    >>
    >> > My hd is failing just received a new one in the mail from dell today.
    >> > What is
    >> > the best way to clone my new hd I don't want to spend hours installing
    >> > all of
    >> > the programs. Also is there any preparation that I need to do to the
    >> > new hd?
    >> >
    >> > Thnak you

Hard Drives HD Microsoft Windows XP