Your question

Budget Laptop that can handle 1080p HD programs streamed

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • RAM
  • HD
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
January 4, 2013 1:34:00 PM

I'm buying a new laptop and I want to be able to stream 1080p HD anime programs from a website (Crunchyroll) on it. I tried it out on my sister's new laptop (ASUS X501U Dual-core AMD C-60 processor, 2 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 6290 card) but the frame rate was low (I don't know how to find out exactly).

I guess that's to do with the AMD processor and low RAM?

I've got a few laptops I'm looking at:

Lenovo G580 - 4GB RAM, Celeron B830, 'integrated' graphics card £350

Advent Monza T200 - 8GB RAM, Celeron 847, Intel Mobile NM70 chipset card £310

ASUS X501A - 4GB RAM, (Celeron B830/ i3-2330M), (Shared Intel GMA HD/ Intel HD) £350

HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15 - 4GB RAM, i3-3217U, Intel HD Graphics 4000 £400

HP Pavilion g6 - 6GB RAM, i5-3210M, Intel HD Graphics 4000 £400

Would all of these laptops be able to handle it? Which would be the best? Is it worth going for the more expensive HPs?

Thanks

More about : budget laptop handle 1080p programs streamed

a c 1099 D Laptop
January 4, 2013 2:28:59 PM

The problem with your sister's laptop is that it is pathetically under powered.

I would go with the HP laptops since it is only £50 more than the Lenovo & Asus laptops. Which HP to choose is up to you. The 1st one with the i3-3217U CPU is likely an ultrabook which means it is lighter than the 2nd HP laptop. It is also a little less powerful and has less storage and no DVD drive.

I avoid any Intel CPU with "Celeron" which are basically "crippled" CPUs. They are more powerful than what your sister has, but for not much more money you can get a laptop with a "fully functional" CPU.
January 4, 2013 2:56:14 PM

jaguarskx said:
The problem with your sister's laptop is that it is pathetically under powered.

I would go with the HP laptops since it is only £50 more than the Lenovo & Asus laptops. Which HP to choose is up to you. The 1st one with the i3-3217U CPU is likely an ultrabook which means it is lighter than the 2nd HP laptop. It is also a little less powerful and has less storage and no DVD drive.

I avoid any Intel CPU with "Celeron" which are basically "crippled" CPUs. They are more powerful than what your sister has, but for not much more money you can get a laptop with a "fully functional" CPU.

Thanks. I think I'll go with the ASUS with the i3. I think it's powerful enough for my purposes and I like the look of it more. Thanks for your help.