Sign in with
Your question

Audio combo jack not working

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
January 4, 2013 4:01:09 PM

Hello,

I have recently bought a laptop Lenovo G580 and installed windows 7 on it.
My laptop has one audio combo jack so I have bought one adaptercable stereo jack 3.5mm 4 layer > 2x3.5mm stereo jack 3 layer ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/65344m.jpg/ ). When I connect the adaptor to my laptop it is recognized as external headphone and mic how it should be, but when I connect my headphones to this adaptor, my laptop doesnt recognize it any more and I cant hear any sound in my headphones.

When my adaptor is connected to my laptop the sound from the speakers stops and when I connect my headphone to this adaptor the sound from the laptop speakers starts again and the adaptor is no longer recognized.

I installed the latest audio drivers from lenovo and directx11 and didnt solved my problem.

If you have any idea please let me know about it.
Thank you
January 4, 2013 5:08:42 PM

Sounds like something isn't making good connection, or isn't wired the same way your laptops audio jack is. Not all audio connectors are made equally. Is there an adapter that Lenovo sells for that connector? If so try that one.
January 4, 2013 5:17:59 PM

my adapter is made by Delock, I dont know if lenovo make adaptors like this
Related resources
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2013 5:56:45 PM

What happens if you plug the headphones into the combo jack on the laptop itself? Sounds like your adapter is defective.
January 4, 2013 6:03:31 PM

if I plug the headphones directly to laptop the headphones are not recognized and nothing happens. The headphones have a 3 layers jack, the laptop has a combo jack with 4 layers. This is one of the reasons I bought the adaptor, the other is to use a mic with a 3 layers jack with adaptor too
January 4, 2013 6:04:20 PM

That is the same jack that is used on most Smartphones and tablets and on iPhones/iPads. The easiest solution would be to get a headseat/microphone that has a 3.5mm four pin jack. That would allow you use both the Audio out and the Microphone at the same time without any adaptors. I have one of these(Lowrider Navy/Chrome), and while it works fine with my Laptop[Lenovo Y565), it needs a separator Audio/mic Separator to use the Microphone. Exactly the opposite problem you have. I envy you a little bit.
January 4, 2013 6:05:55 PM

I tested the adaptor on another device with a 3 layers jack (not combo like laptop) and worked just fine
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2013 7:39:44 PM

Send it back to Lenovo, then. Sorry....
January 5, 2013 10:30:33 AM

I still think it's just a problem betwen sofware or drivers and my windows
January 12, 2013 11:42:01 PM

I installed linux mint to use as my second operation system, and on linux any headphones with 3 layer jack works connected directly to laptop without any adaptor, so it can't be a hardware problem just for windows..
!