Abnormal CPU usage and mouse and sound stutters/conflicts

I have had serious performance issues for the last several months. I have an
AMD 64 3000+ w/2GB RAM, 2 120GB Western Digital SATA HDs in a RAID config
based on an MSI K8T Neo w/ VIA K8T800 chipset and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
video card. Of course I have Win XP w/ SP2.

I get CPU spikes frequently and more disturbing are the frequent interrupts
in performance. For example while I am writing this I have iTunes open with
some songs playing. Almost every time I open up a new window/application or
go to a another website the music stops or stutters and likewise the mouse
will not respond. Then the page or application is loaded and everything
returns to "normal". Also at times I have been unable to right-click on the
drive icons in My Computer which degenerate into a series of Dr Watson errors.

I have looked at the startup files and tried different boot schemes, I am
running McAfee AV and Zone Alarm, I have defraged the HDs and have also run
special chkdsk sessions.

I am at my wits end and am about ready to wipe the drives clean and start
over, but I thought I would give the MS community one last shot to help my ID
and fix the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin Webb
2 answers Last reply
More about abnormal usage mouse sound stutters conflicts

    I would begin by checking Event Viewer for errors marked with a red X.

    Start > Run and type
    eventvwr.msc

    "Kevin Webb" <Kevin Webb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have had serious performance issues for the last several months. I have
    >an
    > AMD 64 3000+ w/2GB RAM, 2 120GB Western Digital SATA HDs in a RAID config
    > based on an MSI K8T Neo w/ VIA K8T800 chipset and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    > video card. Of course I have Win XP w/ SP2.
    >
    > I get CPU spikes frequently and more disturbing are the frequent
    > interrupts
    > in performance. For example while I am writing this I have iTunes open
    > with
    > some songs playing. Almost every time I open up a new window/application
    > or
    > go to a another website the music stops or stutters and likewise the mouse
    > will not respond. Then the page or application is loaded and everything
    > returns to "normal". Also at times I have been unable to right-click on
    > the
    > drive icons in My Computer which degenerate into a series of Dr Watson
    > errors.
    >
    > I have looked at the startup files and tried different boot schemes, I am
    > running McAfee AV and Zone Alarm, I have defraged the HDs and have also
    > run
    > special chkdsk sessions.
    >
    > I am at my wits end and am about ready to wipe the drives clean and start
    > over, but I thought I would give the MS community one last shot to help my
    > ID
    > and fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin Webb

    Checked the Event Viewer and nothing marked with a red X or anything that
    appears out of the ordinary.

    Kevin

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > I would begin by checking Event Viewer for errors marked with a red X.
    >
    > Start > Run and type
    > eventvwr.msc
    >
    > "Kevin Webb" <Kevin Webb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have had serious performance issues for the last several months. I have
    > >an
    > > AMD 64 3000+ w/2GB RAM, 2 120GB Western Digital SATA HDs in a RAID config
    > > based on an MSI K8T Neo w/ VIA K8T800 chipset and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    > > video card. Of course I have Win XP w/ SP2.
    > >
    > > I get CPU spikes frequently and more disturbing are the frequent
    > > interrupts
    > > in performance. For example while I am writing this I have iTunes open
    > > with
    > > some songs playing. Almost every time I open up a new window/application
    > > or
    > > go to a another website the music stops or stutters and likewise the mouse
    > > will not respond. Then the page or application is loaded and everything
    > > returns to "normal". Also at times I have been unable to right-click on
    > > the
    > > drive icons in My Computer which degenerate into a series of Dr Watson
    > > errors.
    > >
    > > I have looked at the startup files and tried different boot schemes, I am
    > > running McAfee AV and Zone Alarm, I have defraged the HDs and have also
    > > run
    > > special chkdsk sessions.
    > >
    > > I am at my wits end and am about ready to wipe the drives clean and start
    > > over, but I thought I would give the MS community one last shot to help my
    > > ID
    > > and fix the problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Kevin Webb