Abnormal CPU usage and mouse and sound stutters/conflicts

Tags:
  • Windows XP
July 22, 2005 2:34:01 AM

I have had serious performance issues for the last several months. I have an
AMD 64 3000+ w/2GB RAM, 2 120GB Western Digital SATA HDs in a RAID config
based on an MSI K8T Neo w/ VIA K8T800 chipset and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
video card. Of course I have Win XP w/ SP2.

I get CPU spikes frequently and more disturbing are the frequent interrupts
in performance. For example while I am writing this I have iTunes open with
some songs playing. Almost every time I open up a new window/application or
go to a another website the music stops or stutters and likewise the mouse
will not respond. Then the page or application is loaded and everything
returns to "normal". Also at times I have been unable to right-click on the
drive icons in My Computer which degenerate into a series of Dr Watson errors.

I have looked at the startup files and tried different boot schemes, I am
running McAfee AV and Zone Alarm, I have defraged the HDs and have also run
special chkdsk sessions.

I am at my wits end and am about ready to wipe the drives clean and start
over, but I thought I would give the MS community one last shot to help my ID
and fix the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin Webb

More about : abnormal cpu usage mouse sound stutters conflicts

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:01:39 AM

I would begin by checking Event Viewer for errors marked with a red X.

Start > Run and type
eventvwr.msc

"Kevin Webb" <Kevin Webb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had serious performance issues for the last several months. I have
>an
> AMD 64 3000+ w/2GB RAM, 2 120GB Western Digital SATA HDs in a RAID config
> based on an MSI K8T Neo w/ VIA K8T800 chipset and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
> video card. Of course I have Win XP w/ SP2.
>
> I get CPU spikes frequently and more disturbing are the frequent
> interrupts
> in performance. For example while I am writing this I have iTunes open
> with
> some songs playing. Almost every time I open up a new window/application
> or
> go to a another website the music stops or stutters and likewise the mouse
> will not respond. Then the page or application is loaded and everything
> returns to "normal". Also at times I have been unable to right-click on
> the
> drive icons in My Computer which degenerate into a series of Dr Watson
> errors.
>
> I have looked at the startup files and tried different boot schemes, I am
> running McAfee AV and Zone Alarm, I have defraged the HDs and have also
> run
> special chkdsk sessions.
>
> I am at my wits end and am about ready to wipe the drives clean and start
> over, but I thought I would give the MS community one last shot to help my
> ID
> and fix the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Webb
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:59:07 PM

Checked the Event Viewer and nothing marked with a red X or anything that
appears out of the ordinary.

Kevin

!