I'm so confused I have a headache!

Hi,

My Dimension 2400, about 15 months old, has a standard CD/DVD ROM
READER. Right? Not so sure? Device Manager shows it as a " DVD/CD
RW". Well, maybe it IS a writer. Maybe Dell goofed?

Well I added a BenQ DVD BURNER as MASTER and changed the STANDARD
reader(?) to SLAVE.

I put a blank DVD disc in the STANDARD Dell CD/DVD(?)to test it. and
booted up NERO ULTRA 6.6 and proceeded to burn a DVD disc. Nero
shows the STANDARD as the BEnQ, but perhaps by default, but when it was
to begin burning, the BenQ drive opened and the message read that I
should put in a disc.

Can someone make heads or tails of this?

Thanks

Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about confused headache

    axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My Dimension 2400, about 15 months old, has a standard CD/DVD ROM
    > READER. Right? Not so sure? Device Manager shows it as a " DVD/CD
    > RW".

    It's combo of DVD-ROM and CD-RW (writer). You burn CD, but not DVD,
    with this drive.

    > Well, maybe it IS a writer. Maybe Dell goofed?
    >
    > Well I added a BenQ DVD BURNER as MASTER and changed the STANDARD
    > reader(?) to SLAVE.
    >
    > I put a blank DVD disc in the STANDARD Dell CD/DVD(?)to test it. and
    > booted up NERO ULTRA 6.6 and proceeded to burn a DVD disc. Nero
    > shows the STANDARD as the BEnQ, but perhaps by default, but when it was
    > to begin burning, the BenQ drive opened and the message read that I
    > should put in a disc.

    In Nero, choose your burner to use in [Recorder, Choose Recorder].

    It could be several things,
    1) Dell always sets their CD/DVD drives to cable select, which is what
    you should have set the new BenQ drive to.
    2) Try another manufacturers disk
    3) Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for the BenQ drive and
    check for an update for Nero Ultra. after trying the above it may be a
    bad drive. Return it for another.

    I just purchased a Plextor 716A. It would burn a DVD but with a CD disk
    it said "put in disk". I was advised it could be a bad burner. It was
    and the replaced burner works great. In searching for my problem, some
    indicated sometimes two burner drives will not work together.

    Good Luck............Joan

    Joan Hansen wrote:

    > In searching for my problem, some
    > indicated sometimes two burner drives will not work together.

    Easy CD Cremator does not do simultaneous burning.

    Standard Nero can burn to 2 burners simultaneously. (Nero Enterprise
    can burn to more than 2 simultaneously. Ahead may no longer make
    enterprise version.)

    Prassi PrimoCD Plus, PrimoCD Pro64, Click'N Burn, and RecordNow MAX can
    burn up to 64 burners simultaneously.

Dell BenQ DVD Computers