Programs dont open

I turn on my PC as normal, it gets to windows xp fine, but as it gets into
windows i have about 10 seconds to open all the programs and files i need as
anytime after this for the next 10 minutes (roughly) nothing will open.

If i do try to open anything in this 10 minutes they will all open together
after the 10 mintues ends.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about programs dont open

    just for a try...
    disable devices where drivers are not or not correctly installed.
    Microsoft's automatic update services can virtually stop your os.

    Helge.

    "Struan" wrote:

    > I turn on my PC as normal, it gets to windows xp fine, but as it gets into
    > windows i have about 10 seconds to open all the programs and files i need as
    > anytime after this for the next 10 minutes (roughly) nothing will open.
    >
    > If i do try to open anything in this 10 minutes they will all open together
    > after the 10 mintues ends.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi thanks for the reply, but i always make sure all drivers are correctly
    installed so there isnt any, any other ideas??

    "Helge" wrote:

    > just for a try...
    > disable devices where drivers are not or not correctly installed.
    > Microsoft's automatic update services can virtually stop your os.
    >
    > Helge.
    >
    > "Struan" wrote:
    >
    > > I turn on my PC as normal, it gets to windows xp fine, but as it gets into
    > > windows i have about 10 seconds to open all the programs and files i need as
    > > anytime after this for the next 10 minutes (roughly) nothing will open.
    > >
    > > If i do try to open anything in this 10 minutes they will all open together
    > > after the 10 mintues ends.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Hi Struan,
    If your HD is excessively fragmented, it may be a reason for slow
    startup and loading of applications, as file acess becomes slow when
    the HD has to read so many non contiguous chunks of data. You may want
    to defragment if you havent, especially if you download a lot of stuff,
    add/delete many files, its good to defrag regularly.

    --
    ppcc

Support Microsoft Windows XP