HP ENVY Dv6z-7200 VERY hot when gaming... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTSe7en

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
My specs are:

AMD Radeon A8-4500m Quad Core (~1.9Ghz)
AMD Radeon HD 7640G + AMD Radeon HD 7670m 1GB Dual Graphics
6GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows 8 64-bit

So basically, when i'm playing games like Planetside 2 and Guild Wars 2 on medium/high settings, according to HWMonitor, my CPU reaches temperatures of around 100-110° C! I don't know about you, but that is really damn high in my eyes. Also, to note, my GFX card gets to like 60-65° C. Currently, I have my laptop propped up on these small little pedestals on a targus 1 fan laptop cooling pad that doesn't run very well anymore. So, the laptop is about 4 inches off of my desk, and there is about 2 - 2 1/2 inches between the bottom of the laptop, and the top of the cooling pad. Then, I have a regular sized fan propped up on some things to the left side of the laptop, blowing air at a rather fast rate into the small opening on the side, and under the laptop.

Now i'm just wondering... How the hell else can i get air into this thing to cool it down? I have another small fan I can use, but I don't know where to blow the air! I really feel like i'm getting screwed, since I can't keep the temperatures down. Any advice?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to describe my setup as much as possible.

Also, I don't really want to go out and purchase anything, since surely 2 fans and a half decent cooling pad should get the job done...

Thermal monitoring software isn't always completely accurate, but computers do have built-in safety mechanism that cause the system to automatically power off once a certain temperature threshold is crossed. I'd imagine the computer would have shut itself down before 110C. How hot does it feel to the touch when gaming?

MTSe7en

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Well, I'm guessing that the processor and the CPU are on the left side of the laptop, because if I touch that side of the laptop when I have a game open, it is hot, while the right side is cold.

So, when i'm gaming, I use the tradition WASD keys, and if i'm playing Planetside 2 on medium/high settings with decent FPS, the keys are rather hot to the touch, and the air blowing out of the laptop without the fan on is veryy hot.

MTSe7en

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yea, I can hear that thing going to town. Also, the laptop is only about a month old.

MTSe7en

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Alright, would you recommend any other software to check your temperatures? I want to be careful with what I do now, since I don't want to fry my components. And also, in-game, after a little while of gameplay, I notice a kind of studder in my frames. If I sit still, nothing happens, but if i move or look around my frames will like skip along, and the in-game FPS counter shows that I'm dropping to like 10-20 FPS, then right back up to 30-35. This only happens with the medium/high settings, but not with the low/medium settings.

MTSe7en

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Alright, I fired up both CoreTemp and HWMonitor and did a test. HWMonitor says that my temp is currently at 105* C, and CoreTemp it is at 55* C. My laptop isn't that hot right now, so I'm guessing HWMonitor just doesn't support my CPU and it is completely misreading the temps. I mean, i've "hit" 113* C on HWMonitor before, and it wasn't even that hot, so it has to be wrong.

Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.