Installing XP Pro

Hello Group,

I'm relatively new to Windows, so please bear with me.

I am trying to work on a 3-4 year old HP PAVILION given to me about 4
months ago.

When I got the machine, it had WindowsXP Pro installed. About 10 days
ago, It wouldn't boot up. I kept getting an error message.

I called the person who gave me the machine. He sent me Windows
Millenium - 3 disks that came with the computer.

I was prompted for 2 disks so I'm not even sure what the 3rd one is
for. It installed ok but I then learnt that I couldn't get on the net
using DSL with the OS.

I called the fellow back & he sent me XP Professional.

A friend told me to make a start-up floppy & to restart the machine
with the floppy in drive A. Once running, he told me to delete my old
files. I needed nothing on the computer, I had had nothing personal
there.

The next step was to restart the computer with the floppy start-up.
At the Startup Menu, I should select Start computer with CD-ROM
support. While the drivers were loading to insert my Windows CD-ROM.

Once back at the A prompt, to type e:setup, where e is my CD
drive letter, to press Enter and follow the prompts.

I did exactly what he advised. When I type "e:setup", I get the
message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

Having something important to do on the machine, I tried reinstalling
Windows Millenium and am getting error messages such as "CDR101: Not
ready reading drive M".

Can anybody help me install XP Pro - I'd be so grateful.

Thanks,

Geo.

Just some info - evidently the three disks your friend sent one was the
actual Windows ME CD(?) He had you make a ME startup floppy which presented
several options with the first being to provide CD drive support. Most
likely the XP CD is an upgrade version and setup is not effective. Follow
Carey's instructions - if it is an upgrade CD, and your HD has been cleaned
out, you will be asked to verify you have a previous version of Windows you
do so by placing the ME CD in drive when instructed.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bloop" wrote:

| Hello Group,
|
| I'm relatively new to Windows, so please bear with me.
|
| I am trying to work on a 3-4 year old HP PAVILION given to me about 4
| months ago.
|
| When I got the machine, it had WindowsXP Pro installed. About 10 days
| ago, It wouldn't boot up. I kept getting an error message.
|
| I called the person who gave me the machine. He sent me Windows
| Millenium - 3 disks that came with the computer.
|
| I was prompted for 2 disks so I'm not even sure what the 3rd one is
| for. It installed ok but I then learnt that I couldn't get on the net
| using DSL with the OS.
|
| I called the fellow back & he sent me XP Professional.
|
| A friend told me to make a start-up floppy & to restart the machine
| with the floppy in drive A. Once running, he told me to delete my old
| files. I needed nothing on the computer, I had had nothing personal
| there.
|
| The next step was to restart the computer with the floppy start-up.
| At the Startup Menu, I should select Start computer with CD-ROM
| support. While the drivers were loading to insert my Windows CD-ROM.
|
| Once back at the A prompt, to type e:setup, where e is my CD
| drive letter, to press Enter and follow the prompts.
|
| I did exactly what he advised. When I type "e:setup", I get the
| message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".
|
| Having something important to do on the machine, I tried reinstalling
| Windows Millenium and am getting error messages such as "CDR101: Not
| ready reading drive M".
|
| Can anybody help me install XP Pro - I'd be so grateful.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Geo.

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

If you would like to pratice on another computer without doing damage. Here
is a simulator. http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html
--
Don Kendrick

"Bloop" wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> I'm relatively new to Windows, so please bear with me.
>
> I am trying to work on a 3-4 year old HP PAVILION given to me about 4
> months ago.
>
> When I got the machine, it had WindowsXP Pro installed. About 10 days
> ago, It wouldn't boot up. I kept getting an error message.
>
> I called the person who gave me the machine. He sent me Windows
> Millenium - 3 disks that came with the computer.
>
> I was prompted for 2 disks so I'm not even sure what the 3rd one is
> for. It installed ok but I then learnt that I couldn't get on the net
> using DSL with the OS.
>
> I called the fellow back & he sent me XP Professional.
>
> A friend told me to make a start-up floppy & to restart the machine
> with the floppy in drive A. Once running, he told me to delete my old
> files. I needed nothing on the computer, I had had nothing personal
> there.
>
> The next step was to restart the computer with the floppy start-up.
> At the Startup Menu, I should select Start computer with CD-ROM
> support. While the drivers were loading to insert my Windows CD-ROM.
>
> Once back at the A prompt, to type e:setup, where e is my CD
> drive letter, to press Enter and follow the prompts.
>
> I did exactly what he advised. When I type "e:setup", I get the
> message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".
>
> Having something important to do on the machine, I tried reinstalling
> Windows Millenium and am getting error messages such as "CDR101: Not
> ready reading drive M".
>
> Can anybody help me install XP Pro - I'd be so grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Geo.

TRENDING THREADS