Windows Explorer has encountered . . .

Question

When I select a desktop icon, I get the message that Windows Explorer had
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Once the error report is sent, and I reclick the icon, the process proceeds
as expected. Could a file be missing to cause this recurring problem?

I running Win XP Pro SP2
1 answer Last reply
More about windows explorer encountered

    Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    Select Application entry in the left pane
    In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X

    Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
    in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
    event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post the information
    here.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "J C Carol" <JCCarol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Question
    >
    > When I select a desktop icon, I get the message that Windows Explorer had
    > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
    > inconvenience.
    >
    > Once the error report is sent, and I reclick the icon, the process
    > proceeds
    > as expected. Could a file be missing to cause this recurring problem?
    >
    > I running Win XP Pro SP2

Windows Explorer Support Microsoft Windows XP