processor upgrade

Hi guys,

I upgraded from P4 1.8/256/400/1.75 V (socket 478) to a P4 2.4/512/533, but
as expected BIOS will report it 1.8. The options are locked in BIOS. The
computer is a 4400. Is there a way to reflash the BIOS?

TIA
JA

BigJim

I have flashed my laptop bios a few times not sure about the desktops from
dell.
Go to the dell site and look for a bios upgrade for your system.
"James Atkinson" <James__@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I upgraded from P4 1.8/256/400/1.75 V (socket 478) to a P4 2.4/512/533,
> but
> as expected BIOS will report it 1.8. The options are locked in BIOS. The
> computer is a 4400. Is there a way to reflash the BIOS?
>
> TIA
> JA

Isn't the 2.4 going to run at 1.8(2.4x400/533=1.8)
since the 4400 is locked at 400 MHz. You should
have gotten a P4 2.4/400.

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have flashed my laptop bios a few times not sure about the desktops
>from dell.
> Go to the dell site and look for a bios upgrade for your system.
> "James Atkinson" <James__@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I upgraded from P4 1.8/256/400/1.75 V (socket 478) to a P4
>> 2.4/512/533, but
>> as expected BIOS will report it 1.8. The options are locked in BIOS.
>> The
>> computer is a 4400. Is there a way to reflash the BIOS?
>>
>> TIA
>> JA

The options are locked in the BIOS, but not for the reasons one might think. A
flash BIOS update will not help here.

I am not sure if the 4400 motherboard HARDWARE handles a CPU with a 533MHz front
side bus. What you are reporting indicates that it does not. The 2.4GHz CPU
has a clock-locked FSB multiplier, and if the FSB is only 400MHz, it powers up
at 400/533 x 2.4GHz, which is 1.8GHz.

If the 4400 is supposed to support 533MHz FSB, check the memory speed in the
system. PC2100 memory is too slow for 533MHz. PC2700 or faster is fine.
It's possible that the 4400 detects the slower memory and cranks down the FSB
speed to match the memory speed.

Now that I've checked the Dell web site, according to the following URL, the
4400 supports only 400MHz FSB, not faster, so you have a mismatch between CPU
specs and motherboard specs. A BIOS update will not fix this.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/specs.htm#1101572

.... Ben Myers

> The options are locked in the BIOS, but not for the reasons one might
> think. A
> flash BIOS update will not help here.
>
> I am not sure if the 4400 motherboard HARDWARE handles a CPU with a 533MHz
> front
> side bus.

<snip>

Ben, it doesn't. 533mhz FSB support didn't kick in on the mid-level systems
until the 4500.

Stew

So I noted later on in what could be called a stream of consciousness
response... Ben