WelshRob

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
Hi guys - I have a really infuriating problem here. I have a PII 440BX system,192MB RAM. Recently purchased a Creative GeForce 2MX AGP card to replace my Matrox G400. Uninstalled the Matrox and removed the card. Inserted the GeForce card, windows recognised the new device, prompted me to load the drivers and then to reboot.

I rebooted. Trouble is Windows does not complete loading, it freezes and needs to be rebooted. Windows then boots in Safe Mode, and in the device list the GeForce card shows there is a problem. If I uncheck the "use automatic settings" box Windows will boot normally but says there is a problem with my display, and to reinstall drivers!! If I re-check the box Windows freezes! Obviously a conflict somewhere but I have never had this problem before and I have installed loads of new video cards.

Help guys before I go insane!!

WelshRob

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
Hi - the drivers I am installing are Feb 22 versions - straight from the driver CD
There was not a newer driver on the Creative site when I visited yesterday

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
You might try going to the Nividia web site and using the latest Detonator 3 drivers. Goodluck!

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

WelshRob

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
Thanks for the info - will try the Nvidia Detonator drivers. Have also tried re-installing windows and still no joy...thanks for the info

WelshRob

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
Guys, just to let you know - I have just got a 1ghz Athlon today and the GeForce 2 MX works fine and Windows boots fine. Must have been a conflict with my old PII 350 mobo or something....anyway, my sanity returns. :)