Network problem...pls help

July 22, 2005 6:48:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hi all,
I suddenly lost my connection to the internet and am not able to get it
back.

I have a cable modem with 4 computers connecting to it. 1 computer is
having problem getting access to the internet.

I suspect the problem is not able to get an IP address from the DNS of the
cable modem.

I have tried restarting the computer several times. I even changed the NIC,
but without any success.

Before the failure, my anti-virus/anti-spy software was giving me warnings
which I clicked to delete the file(s) being flagged. This probably delete
my required network software file on the computer.

How can I reinstall the network-related files without reinstalling
WindowsXP?

What else could be the problem?

Thanks,
Bill

More about : network problem pls

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:53:17 PM

"Bill" <bli01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I suddenly lost my connection to the internet and am not able to get it
> back.
>
> I have a cable modem with 4 computers connecting to it. 1 computer is
> having problem getting access to the internet.
>
> I suspect the problem is not able to get an IP address from the DNS of the
> cable modem.
>
> I have tried restarting the computer several times. I even changed the
> NIC,
> but without any success.
>
> Before the failure, my anti-virus/anti-spy software was giving me warnings
> which I clicked to delete the file(s) being flagged. This probably delete
> my required network software file on the computer.
>
> How can I reinstall the network-related files without reinstalling
> WindowsXP?
>
> What else could be the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

At a cmd prompt type the following:

netsh winsock reset catalog

This will reset the winsock layered service provider. This may also cause
some problems with some virus scanners. You may have to reinstall your
antivirus program after doing this.

Kerry
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:04:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Do you have a router or just a cable modem? If you just have a cable
modem, then what is connecting you other 3 PCs to the cable modem?

"Bill" <bli01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I suddenly lost my connection to the internet and am not able to get it
> back.
>
> I have a cable modem with 4 computers connecting to it. 1 computer is
> having problem getting access to the internet.
>
> I suspect the problem is not able to get an IP address from the DNS of the
> cable modem.
>
> I have tried restarting the computer several times. I even changed the
> NIC,
> but without any success.
>
> Before the failure, my anti-virus/anti-spy software was giving me warnings
> which I clicked to delete the file(s) being flagged. This probably delete
> my required network software file on the computer.
>
> How can I reinstall the network-related files without reinstalling
> WindowsXP?
>
> What else could be the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Related resources
July 22, 2005 8:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

It is also a router.

news:o qzaQivjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Do you have a router or just a cable modem? If you just have a cable
> modem, then what is connecting you other 3 PCs to the cable modem?
>

> "Bill" <bli01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I suddenly lost my connection to the internet and am not able to get it
>> back.
>>
>> I have a cable modem with 4 computers connecting to it. 1 computer is
>> having problem getting access to the internet.
>>
>> I suspect the problem is not able to get an IP address from the DNS of
>> the
>> cable modem.
>>
>> I have tried restarting the computer several times. I even changed the
>> NIC,
>> but without any success.
>>
>> Before the failure, my anti-virus/anti-spy software was giving me
>> warnings
>> which I clicked to delete the file(s) being flagged. This probably
>> delete
>> my required network software file on the computer.
>>
>> How can I reinstall the network-related files without reinstalling
>> WindowsXP?
>>
>> What else could be the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill

July 22, 2005 10:33:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:53:17 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>"Bill" <bli01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I suddenly lost my connection to the internet and am not able to get it
>> back.
>>
>> I have a cable modem with 4 computers connecting to it. 1 computer is
>> having problem getting access to the internet.
>>
>> I suspect the problem is not able to get an IP address from the DNS of the
>> cable modem.
>>
>> I have tried restarting the computer several times. I even changed the
>> NIC,
>> but without any success.
>>
>> Before the failure, my anti-virus/anti-spy software was giving me warnings
>> which I clicked to delete the file(s) being flagged. This probably delete
>> my required network software file on the computer.
>>
>> How can I reinstall the network-related files without reinstalling
>> WindowsXP?
>>
>> What else could be the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
>
>At a cmd prompt type the following:
>
>netsh winsock reset catalog
>
>This will reset the winsock layered service provider. This may also cause
>some problems with some virus scanners. You may have to reinstall your
>antivirus program after doing this.
>
>Kerry

Kerry,

More than just your antivirus. Maybe a firewall or port monitor will go south
on you. Port Explorer from DiamondCS is vulnerable to LSP / Winsock fixes.

Also, the native Windows XP "netsh winsock reset catalog" reset is not the only
solution (and it only works for XP), and is not always successful either. There
are actually 5 solutions which I mention, and I bet somebody else here knows of
another 1 or 2.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp...;

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:53:17 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
> <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
>
>>"Bill" <bli01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>> I suddenly lost my connection to the internet and am not able to get it
>>> back.
>>>
>>> I have a cable modem with 4 computers connecting to it. 1 computer is
>>> having problem getting access to the internet.
>>>
>>> I suspect the problem is not able to get an IP address from the DNS of
>>> the
>>> cable modem.
>>>
>>> I have tried restarting the computer several times. I even changed the
>>> NIC,
>>> but without any success.
>>>
>>> Before the failure, my anti-virus/anti-spy software was giving me
>>> warnings
>>> which I clicked to delete the file(s) being flagged. This probably
>>> delete
>>> my required network software file on the computer.
>>>
>>> How can I reinstall the network-related files without reinstalling
>>> WindowsXP?
>>>
>>> What else could be the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill
>>
>>At a cmd prompt type the following:
>>
>>netsh winsock reset catalog
>>
>>This will reset the winsock layered service provider. This may also cause
>>some problems with some virus scanners. You may have to reinstall your
>>antivirus program after doing this.
>>
>>Kerry
>
> Kerry,
>
> More than just your antivirus. Maybe a firewall or port monitor will go
> south
> on you. Port Explorer from DiamondCS is vulnerable to LSP / Winsock
> fixes.
>
> Also, the native Windows XP "netsh winsock reset catalog" reset is not the
> only
> solution (and it only works for XP), and is not always successful either.
> There
> are actually 5 solutions which I mention, and I bet somebody else here
> knows of
> another 1 or 2.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp...;

I know there are other solutions. I usually use lspfix but in the wrong
hands it can compound the problem. The native fix is supported by Microsoft
and seems to cause the least amount of problems with unsophisticated users.
It is hard to know how much knowledge someone has by a newsgroup post so I
usually use the "do no harm" fix or this case "do the least amount of harm
if something goes wrong" fix.

Kerry

> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.
July 22, 2005 11:08:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:47:55 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:53:17 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
>> <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
>>
>>>"Bill" <bli01@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>At a cmd prompt type the following:
>>>
>>>netsh winsock reset catalog
>>>
>>>This will reset the winsock layered service provider. This may also cause
>>>some problems with some virus scanners. You may have to reinstall your
>>>antivirus program after doing this.
>>>
>>>Kerry
>>
>> Kerry,
>>
>> More than just your antivirus. Maybe a firewall or port monitor will go
>> south
>> on you. Port Explorer from DiamondCS is vulnerable to LSP / Winsock
>> fixes.
>>
>> Also, the native Windows XP "netsh winsock reset catalog" reset is not the
>> only
>> solution (and it only works for XP), and is not always successful either.
>> There
>> are actually 5 solutions which I mention, and I bet somebody else here
>> knows of
>> another 1 or 2.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp...;
>>

>I know there are other solutions. I usually use lspfix but in the wrong
>hands it can compound the problem. The native fix is supported by Microsoft
>and seems to cause the least amount of problems with unsophisticated users.
>It is hard to know how much knowledge someone has by a newsgroup post so I
>usually use the "do no harm" fix or this case "do the least amount of harm
>if something goes wrong" fix.
>
>Kerry

Kerry,

Well, your choice. Just remember that not everybody here has 100% Windows XP
SP2 LANs, and the netsh command isn't 100% effective.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:47:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Something to try before muking everything up and building on what Peter G.
said, unplug any network equipment between the computer having problems and
the internet. Wait ... wait ... wait ... a minimum 60 seconds. Go grab a beer
or some coffee. Plug in your modem and give it a minute to settle. Plug in
the other devices giving them time to settle. After everything appears
settled, power on your PC. Once you have a working curser and all
support/background apps have finished loading, open a command prompt window.

On XP, this would be
Click on

Start - Run,

now type in

"command" (without the quotes)

and hit return.

You should see what looks like a DOS session.

Enter the following (without the quotes):

"ipconfig /release" <enter>
"ipconfig /renew" <enter>

Let me know if this helped.
Good luck...