msconfig/recognizing programs to disable?

Bruce

Is there a way to find out what programs that are associated in msconfig.
Some are recognizable, and others, don't know or won't seem to disable?

dumprep 0-k %stemroot%\system32dumprep 0-k (dash is a small dash
seemingly attached to the k)
I don't recall this one, and tried to disable it with no luck.

CTHelper cthelper.exe

Recguard C:\windows\sminst\recguard.exe

SNDMON C:\prog~1\symnet~1\sndmon.exe/consumer

REGSHAVE C:\regshave\regshave.exe\autorun

I am assuming sndmon is the sound icon, any help with the others?

Bruce

dumprep 0 -k

KernalFaultCheck:
%systemroot%\\system32\\dumprep 0 -k

Dumprep.exe = Windows Error Reporting Dump Reporting Tool

You can disable this....
Right click My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab | Under Startup and
Recovery | Settings button | Under System Failure | UNCheck: ? Write an
event to the system log | Under Write debugging information | Select (None)
| OK | Apply | OK

? Write an event to the system log = dumprep 0-k
[[Specifies whether Windows will write event information to the system log
when the system stops unexpectedly.
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to set
recovery options.]]

Write debugging information:
[[Specifies what type of information Windows should record when the system
stops unexpectedly, and the name of the file that holds this information.]]

Dump file:
[[Provides a space for you to type the name of a log file that Windows can
use to write the contents of system memory when the system stops
unexpectedly.
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to set
recovery options.]] %systemroot%\MEMORY.DMP is the default.

If you have other, serious problems, then dumprep 0-k is automatically
enabled.

If you have Error Reporting enabled, this entry may show up for the first
time after your PC has experienced a Windows XP dump crash, or an Office
XP or Internet Explorer 6 crash where you were prompted about sending the
crash results to Microsoft.

To disable Error Reporting....
Right click My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab |
Error Reporting button | ? Disable error reporting

Also.
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Error Reporting Service | Apply | OK
-----

From...

-k is a kernel fault check
-u is a user fault check

Generally the latter is seen when a user changes the default options in the
startup and recovery settings to a small memory dump.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u2k71$vjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bruce <notreally@idontwantoo.com> hunted and pecked:

"Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote:

>CTHelper cthelper.exe
>
>Recguard C:\windows\sminst\recguard.exe
>
>SNDMON C:\prog~1\symnet~1\sndmon.exe/consumer
>
>REGSHAVE C:\regshave\regshave.exe\autorun
>
>I am assuming sndmon is the sound icon, any help with the others?
>
>Bruce

From http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

CTHELPER is a background task that is a plug-in manager for Creative
drivers. The theory is that 3rd party manufacturers can use the
CTHELPER plug-in interface to produce drivers, add-on features, and
fixes that will integrate with a tighter fit with Creative’s sound
drivers and utilities. Given its purpose CTHELPER would normally be
classified as a "leave alone" background task. It also allows Creative
speaker setup to be synchronized with Windows Control Panel speaker
setting. Without it running that check box in Creative speaker setting
is not functional (settings are not in sync). Unfortunately there are
often problems with CTHELPER, most notably that it can use 100% of CPU
time so it's best left disabled unless you need it

also

Added by the RBOT-XB WORM! Note - do not confuse with the Creative
application of the same name described here

recguard.exe On HP computers, Recguard prevents the deletion or
corruption of the WinXP Recovery Partition. Without it enabled, it is
possible to knock that completely out and force the customer to send
the PC back to HP for a re-image, possibly at the customer's expense

SNDMon.exe. Part of Symantec's LiveUpate (eg, Norton). Not required if
you run manual upadtes but probably require if you leave them to run
automatically. Also, if one runs a small office network and SNDMon is
disabled on one of the computers – then other computers disappear from
the network for this computer, including shared devices like printers
and scanners.

regshave.exe Part of the USB driver for your Fuji digital cameras -
used when uninstalling the USB drivers, erasing all entries from the
registry. Only required BEFORE attempting to uninstall the Fuji
software or the uninstall may not work correctly

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP