is a dell laptop worth buying?

well, it's time for me to consider replacing this micron pc
laptop & I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Basic question
is Should I consider an Acer laptop as a viable alternative
or would I be inheriting a bunch of poor design/quality
problems? Any insight you could provide would be
appreciated. TIA
-----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your peers-----
MB
6 answers Last reply
More about dell laptop worth buying

    I just purchased my second laptop. The Dell laptops work pretty well and
    they offer a variety of support options. Wait until they have a large sale
    by checking www.slickdeals.net and then go for it.

    I purchased my Inspiron 6000 w/128MB video card etc.. list price was 1800+
    and I paid just a hair over 1K with tax.

    The sale was $750.00 off a 1500.00 laptop plus I was able to get my
    companies 10% discount on top of that!

    Wayne
    "Araknid" <spyD@c1.net> wrote in message
    > well, it's time for me to consider replacing this micron pc
    > laptop & I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Basic question
    > is Should I consider an Acer laptop as a viable alternative
    > or would I be inheriting a bunch of poor design/quality
    > problems? Any insight you could provide would be
    > appreciated. TIA
    > -----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your
    > peers-----
    > MB

    Dell had a great deal on their inspiron 6000 notebook under the evalue
    code 1111-i6000pc. It a pentium m 1.6 ghz, 512k ram, 60gig hard
    drive, intell wireless. I bought one. It was included in a review in
    PCMagazine listed as being under $1000. No other deal they had could
    match it.

    The low price does make one wonder where they cut corners.

    Also www.tigerdirect.com company has a well equiped Acer 3400 (plus
    some other digits) for under $1000. I have purchased from them and
    they are ok to deal with.

    Larry

    Probably, but I have a slight preference for ThinkPads, so that's what
    I've bought (2 so far, including my current laptop purchased 09-2003).

    larry wrote:
    > Dell had a great deal on their inspiron 6000 notebook under the evalue
    > code 1111-i6000pc. It a pentium m 1.6 ghz, 512k ram, 60gig hard
    > drive, intell wireless. I bought one. It was included in a review in
    > PCMagazine listed as being under $1000. No other deal they had could
    > match it.
    >
    > The low price does make one wonder where they cut corners.
    >
    > Also www.tigerdirect.com company has a well equiped Acer 3400 (plus
    > some other digits) for under $1000. I have purchased from them and
    > they are ok to deal with.
    >
    > Larry

    Tigerdirect has been around a long time and has had its share of
    documented problems with what they sell, particularly warranty work.
    Does Dell's warranty apply to their sales? They seem to have some
    interesting, if not particularly inexpensive, Dell packages almost
    routinely, and it's never been clear to me if Tigerdirect or Dell issues
    the warranty.

    "Araknid" <spyD@c1.net> wrote in message
    > well, it's time for me to consider replacing this micron pc
    > laptop & I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Basic question
    > is Should I consider an Acer laptop as a viable alternative
    > or would I be inheriting a bunch of poor design/quality
    > problems? Any insight you could provide would be
    > appreciated. TIA

    Well aswell as repairing Dells I also have for my sins to repair Acer
    machines under warranty, and I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, average
    wait time for repairs are now at about 2-3months for an engineer onsite as
    here in the Uk the company that supplies acer parts ( a wholly Owned
    subsidury) of Acer UK cant get their act together and Tech support is at
    best 5th rate so pay your money make your choice but dont say I didn't warn
    you
    > -----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your
    > peers-----
    > MB

    "Araknid" <spyD@c1.net> wrote in message
    >snip

    My last firm bought Acers and we were very pleased with them. Models mainly
    were the Aspire 1351, Travelmate 272XC, and 531XCi. All behaved faultlessly.

Dell Laptops Computers Product