Advanced help needed, files are there just can't copy them.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

To get this out of the way, I am an IT Admin and I know my way around
computers (I have been working on them since I was 12.) So please trust me
that I have tried the simple trouble shooting.

One of my users has somehow majorly messed up windows and it is going to
require a format. However, I need to get files off it first. The problem is
part of what the user has done is messed up dragging and dropping, copy and
pasting. I cannot move files at all, they can be selected, executed,
deleted, renamed and even accessed via the context menu. They cannot be cut,
copied, pasted, dragged or dropped. I cannot use cmd or the recovery console
to copy or move them either. The taskbar and start menu cannot be accessed
(it is there in the bottom I can see the resize bar but cannot drag it up,
nor can I use the win key or ctrl+esc to get the start menu.) A lot of
windows programs do not work (they simply to not start) or I get an error
that its an invalid entry in the registry.

I have tried the following:

restarting as a the administrator
Restarting in safemode
scndsk /r
Could not run recovry but tried
Restarted as last known good config
Checked for locked desktop
check for locked task bar
tried to copy/paste using key shortcuts
tired copy/paste by dragging and dropping
tried copy/paste by context menu
tried copy/move by cmd prompt
tried copy/move by recovery console
tried burning data (could not get cd-rom to recognize blank cd it simply
timed out trying to read it.)
tried uninstalling non-necessary programs
tried hijack this! - clean
tried CCleaner - clean
tried ad-aware - clean except tracking cookies
tried AVG Free Edition - clean
tried Sophos Anti-virus - clean
tried NOD32 anti-virus - clean
tried putting files on network share but cannot change ip address and its
stuck on a network that we use for analysing data from out heavy machinary,
cannot get anything to show in network connections.
tried to run windows repair install, no change whatsoever

I am at my wits end trying to get this data off. Please help.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Wow I feel like a goof the answer came to me two minutes after submitting the
question... basically I just selected the files I wanted to keep and then
added them to a zip file on my USB drive.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Jared" wrote:

| To get this out of the way, I am an IT Admin and I know my way around
| computers (I have been working on them since I was 12.) So please trust me
| that I have tried the simple trouble shooting.
|
| One of my users has somehow majorly messed up windows and it is going to
| require a format. However, I need to get files off it first. The problem is
| part of what the user has done is messed up dragging and dropping, copy and
| pasting. I cannot move files at all, they can be selected, executed,
| deleted, renamed and even accessed via the context menu. They cannot be cut,
| copied, pasted, dragged or dropped. I cannot use cmd or the recovery console
| to copy or move them either. The taskbar and start menu cannot be accessed
| (it is there in the bottom I can see the resize bar but cannot drag it up,
| nor can I use the win key or ctrl+esc to get the start menu.) A lot of
| windows programs do not work (they simply to not start) or I get an error
| that its an invalid entry in the registry.
|
| I have tried the following:
|
| restarting as a the administrator
| Restarting in safemode
| scndsk /r
| Could not run recovry but tried
| Restarted as last known good config
| Checked for locked desktop
| check for locked task bar
| tried to copy/paste using key shortcuts
| tired copy/paste by dragging and dropping
| tried copy/paste by context menu
| tried copy/move by cmd prompt
| tried copy/move by recovery console
| tried burning data (could not get cd-rom to recognize blank cd it simply
| timed out trying to read it.)
| tried uninstalling non-necessary programs
| tried hijack this! - clean
| tried CCleaner - clean
| tried ad-aware - clean except tracking cookies
| tried AVG Free Edition - clean
| tried Sophos Anti-virus - clean
| tried NOD32 anti-virus - clean
| tried putting files on network share but cannot change ip address and its
| stuck on a network that we use for analysing data from out heavy machinary,
| cannot get anything to show in network connections.
| tried to run windows repair install, no change whatsoever
|
| I am at my wits end trying to get this data off. Please help.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Yes that was in a list of things I did... please make sure you read posts a
little more carefully in the future, although I appriciate you replying none
the less.

Thanks,
Jared