Advanced help needed, files are there just can't copy them.

To get this out of the way, I am an IT Admin and I know my way around
computers (I have been working on them since I was 12.) So please trust me
that I have tried the simple trouble shooting.

One of my users has somehow majorly messed up windows and it is going to
require a format. However, I need to get files off it first. The problem is
part of what the user has done is messed up dragging and dropping, copy and
pasting. I cannot move files at all, they can be selected, executed,
deleted, renamed and even accessed via the context menu. They cannot be cut,
copied, pasted, dragged or dropped. I cannot use cmd or the recovery console
to copy or move them either. The taskbar and start menu cannot be accessed
(it is there in the bottom I can see the resize bar but cannot drag it up,
nor can I use the win key or ctrl+esc to get the start menu.) A lot of
windows programs do not work (they simply to not start) or I get an error
that its an invalid entry in the registry.

I have tried the following:

restarting as a the administrator
Restarting in safemode
scndsk /r
Could not run recovry but tried
Restarted as last known good config
Checked for locked desktop
check for locked task bar
tried to copy/paste using key shortcuts
tired copy/paste by dragging and dropping
tried copy/paste by context menu
tried copy/move by cmd prompt
tried copy/move by recovery console
tried burning data (could not get cd-rom to recognize blank cd it simply
timed out trying to read it.)
tried uninstalling non-necessary programs
tried hijack this! - clean
tried CCleaner - clean
tried ad-aware - clean except tracking cookies
tried AVG Free Edition - clean
tried Sophos Anti-virus - clean
tried NOD32 anti-virus - clean
tried putting files on network share but cannot change ip address and its
stuck on a network that we use for analysing data from out heavy machinary,
cannot get anything to show in network connections.
tried to run windows repair install, no change whatsoever

I am at my wits end trying to get this data off. Please help.
3 answers Last reply
More about advanced needed files copy them

    Wow I feel like a goof the answer came to me two minutes after submitting the
    question... basically I just selected the files I wanted to keep and then
    added them to a zip file on my USB drive.

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Jared" wrote:

    | To get this out of the way, I am an IT Admin and I know my way around
    | computers (I have been working on them since I was 12.) So please trust me
    | that I have tried the simple trouble shooting.
    |
    | One of my users has somehow majorly messed up windows and it is going to
    | require a format. However, I need to get files off it first. The problem is
    | part of what the user has done is messed up dragging and dropping, copy and
    | pasting. I cannot move files at all, they can be selected, executed,
    | deleted, renamed and even accessed via the context menu. They cannot be cut,
    | copied, pasted, dragged or dropped. I cannot use cmd or the recovery console
    | to copy or move them either. The taskbar and start menu cannot be accessed
    | (it is there in the bottom I can see the resize bar but cannot drag it up,
    | nor can I use the win key or ctrl+esc to get the start menu.) A lot of
    | windows programs do not work (they simply to not start) or I get an error
    | that its an invalid entry in the registry.
    |
    | I have tried the following:
    |
    | restarting as a the administrator
    | Restarting in safemode
    | scndsk /r
    | Could not run recovry but tried
    | Restarted as last known good config
    | Checked for locked desktop
    | check for locked task bar
    | tried to copy/paste using key shortcuts
    | tired copy/paste by dragging and dropping
    | tried copy/paste by context menu
    | tried copy/move by cmd prompt
    | tried copy/move by recovery console
    | tried burning data (could not get cd-rom to recognize blank cd it simply
    | timed out trying to read it.)
    | tried uninstalling non-necessary programs
    | tried hijack this! - clean
    | tried CCleaner - clean
    | tried ad-aware - clean except tracking cookies
    | tried AVG Free Edition - clean
    | tried Sophos Anti-virus - clean
    | tried NOD32 anti-virus - clean
    | tried putting files on network share but cannot change ip address and its
    | stuck on a network that we use for analysing data from out heavy machinary,
    | cannot get anything to show in network connections.
    | tried to run windows repair install, no change whatsoever
    |
    | I am at my wits end trying to get this data off. Please help.

    Yes that was in a list of things I did... please make sure you read posts a
    little more carefully in the future, although I appriciate you replying none
    the less.

    Thanks,
    Jared

Windows XP