Windows DNS in the Workgroup

July 22, 2005 11:37:11 PM

I have 200 + pc’s in a workgroup on a WAN in a VPN. All have ADSL
connections, no Firewlls or NAT are on and all ADSL accounts
authenticate on the Radius server I set up in the VPN. I have 2 DNS
servers, 1 Windows 2000 and 1 Windows 2003, I can see all the A
records on either of the DNS servers, but I can only see about 90
pc’s on the network. They are all in a workgroup with the same name,
and the majority are W2k pro or XP pro pc’s.
When I browse the network I cannot see them all, what am i missing??

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. :(

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Windows-DNS...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1316659

More about : windows dns workgroup

July 23, 2005 6:02:36 PM

Esoteric wrote:
> I have 200 + pc’s in a workgroup on a WAN in a VPN. All have ADSL
> connections, no Firewlls or NAT are on and all ADSL accounts
> authenticate on the Radius server I set up in the VPN. I have 2 DNS
> servers, 1 Windows 2000 and 1 Windows 2003, I can see all the A
> records on either of the DNS servers, but I can only see about 90
> pc’s on the network. They are all in a workgroup with the same name,
> and the majority are W2k pro or XP pro pc’s.
> When I browse the network I cannot see them all, what am i missing??

Just guessing here, but I think that when there is no Domain
the name resolution is by NetBIOS so DNS is . (I'm not sure
about this). Can you access the 'missing' machines via IP
address?

Do all the network settings match? eg netmasks?

Cheers,

Cliff