USB 2 - external hard drive not recognised

Crispin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

Hi - I am struggling to get my xp pro machine to recognise a ALi - external
USB2 hard drive. When connected I get the Windows "bong" and the drive is
shown bottom right hand corner "Safely Remove Hardware".

Can't see it or access it in explorer.

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Hub devices, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Crispin" <Crispin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A26BEE4B-1B78-4148-8808-F8D28DCD3E7C@microsoft.com...
> Hi - I am struggling to get my xp pro machine to recognise a ALi - external
> USB2 hard drive. When connected I get the Windows "bong" and the drive is
> shown bottom right hand corner "Safely Remove Hardware".
>
> Can't see it or access it in explorer.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Open Computer Management (right click My Computer and then select Manage.
Is the drive shown there? Is a drive letter assigned? Note if this is a
new drive that has not been partitioned and formatted, you must do this from
Computer Management before it will be shown in Explorer.