Memory Stick

Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
(excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to find
a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many files to
backup onto floppy disc.
9 answers Last reply
More about memory stick

    A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard drive.
    You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
    capacity (MB's)

    --

    johnf

    > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
    > (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to
    > find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many
    > files to backup onto floppy disc.

    Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer approx 6 GB.

    "johnf" wrote:

    > A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard drive.
    > You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
    > capacity (MB's)
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
    > > (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to
    > > find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many
    > > files to backup onto floppy disc.

    Use some imaging program such as Ghost or Acronis. By all mean if you do
    NOT have one, get a DVD burner. This will allow you to back up your HD to
    DVD disks. They can be a life saver.

    Good luck

    "" wrote:
    > A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable
    > hard drive.
    > You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within
    > it's total
    > capacity (MB's)
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from
    > my computer?
    > > (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)!
    > I'm trying to
    > > find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have
    > too many
    > > files to backup onto floppy disc.

    "Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my
    computer?"

    No, they have a maximum capacity of about 2GB, and the avage computer
    has 40GB or more of disk space, it would be quite imposible/difficult,
    the most cost efective way to back up data on a home desktop computer
    is to use CDs or DVDs.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Memory-Stick-ftopict399494.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1319690

    OK thanks so even if I can't backup to CD on XP I can bacup to DVD disk???

    Didi wrote:
    > Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer approx 6 GB.

    To backup that much data, you'll need a tape drive, another hard drive,
    or a recordable DVD (DVD-RW 2.0 has 8.75 Gb capacity). Neither USB
    memory sticks (up to 512 Mb ?), Zip disks (up to 750 Mb), floppy disks
    (up to 1.4 Mb), CDs (up to 700 Mb) have the necessary capacity.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Didi

    Don't use the 'backup' program.. just burn your files to CD as you would
    burn anything.. and don't forget to check the integrity of a random
    selection of files..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Didi" <Didi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OK thanks so even if I can't backup to CD on XP I can bacup to DVD disk???
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    >> Use some imaging program such as Ghost or Acronis. By all mean if you do
    >> NOT have one, get a DVD burner. This will allow you to back up your HD
    >> DVD disks. They can be a life saver.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> >A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard
    >> >drive.
    >> >You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
    >> >capacity (MB's)
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > johnf

    Sorry, they're not that big. I missed the bit about ALL your files & assumed
    you meant your important ones, not the whole OS.

    --

    johnf

    > Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer
    > approx 6 GB.
    >
    > "johnf" wrote:
    >
    >> A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard
    >> drive. You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within
    >> it's total capacity (MB's)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >> > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my
    >> > computer? (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)!
    >> > I'm trying to find a way of backing up everything on my computer as
    >> > I have too many files to backup onto floppy disc.

    Yes sorry I do mean just important files, but there are a lot of them!

    "johnf" wrote:

    > Sorry, they're not that big. I missed the bit about ALL your files & assumed
    > you meant your important ones, not the whole OS.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer
    > > approx 6 GB.
    > >
    > > "johnf" wrote:
    > >
    > >> A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard
    > >> drive. You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within
    > >> it's total capacity (MB's)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> johnf

Computers Backup Memory Windows XP