didi

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
(excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to find
a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many files to
backup onto floppy disc.

johnf

A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard drive.
You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
capacity (MB's)

--

johnf

> Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
> (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to
> find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many
> files to backup onto floppy disc.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable
> hard drive.
> You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within
> it's total
> capacity (MB's)
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from
> my computer?
> > (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)!
> I'm trying to
> > find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have
> too many
> > files to backup onto floppy disc.

"Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my
computer?"

No, they have a maximum capacity of about 2GB, and the avage computer
has 40GB or more of disk space, it would be quite imposible/difficult,
the most cost efective way to back up data on a home desktop computer
is to use CDs or DVDs.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Memory-Stick-ftopict399494.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1319690

didi

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer approx 6 GB.

"johnf" wrote:

> A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard drive.
> You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
> capacity (MB's)
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
> > (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to
> > find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many
> > files to backup onto floppy disc.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Use some imaging program such as Ghost or Acronis. By all mean if you do
NOT have one, get a DVD burner. This will allow you to back up your HD to
DVD disks. They can be a life saver.

Good luck
"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard drive.
>You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
>capacity (MB's)
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my computer?
>> (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)! I'm trying to
>> find a way of backing up everything on my computer as I have too many
>> files to backup onto floppy disc.

didi

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

OK thanks so even if I can't backup to CD on XP I can bacup to DVD disk???

Didi wrote:
> Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer approx 6 GB.

To backup that much data, you'll need a tape drive, another hard drive,
or a recordable DVD (DVD-RW 2.0 has 8.75 Gb capacity). Neither USB
memory sticks (up to 512 Mb ?), Zip disks (up to 750 Mb), floppy disks
(up to 1.4 Mb), CDs (up to 700 Mb) have the necessary capacity.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Didi

Don't use the 'backup' program.. just burn your files to CD as you would
burn anything.. and don't forget to check the integrity of a random
selection of files..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Didi" <Didi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK thanks so even if I can't backup to CD on XP I can bacup to DVD disk???
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Use some imaging program such as Ghost or Acronis. By all mean if you do
>> NOT have one, get a DVD burner. This will allow you to back up your HD
>> DVD disks. They can be a life saver.
>>
>> Good luck
>> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> >A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard
>> >drive.
>> >You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within it's total
>> >capacity (MB's)
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > johnf

johnf

Sorry, they're not that big. I missed the bit about ALL your files & assumed
you meant your important ones, not the whole OS.

--

johnf

> Thanks very much, can you recommend what I should use to transfer
> approx 6 GB.
>
> "johnf" wrote:
>
>> A memory stick plugs into a USB port & is a virtual, removable hard
>> drive. You can transfer, edit delete all files you put on it within
>> it's total capacity (MB's)
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>> > Hi, does a memory stick transfer and backup all files from my
>> > computer? (excuse my ignorance but I've only just heard of these)!
>> > I'm trying to find a way of backing up everything on my computer as
>> > I have too many files to backup onto floppy disc.

didi

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Yes sorry I do mean just important files, but there are a lot of them!