My 3Dmarks 2001 marks suck

G

Are these results normal ? I find that with same kind of systems there are at least double marks. What's wrong with my configuration ? My AGP should be 2X 66 MHz . 256 Megs system memory.

Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
DirectX Version 8.00

Mobo Manufacturer Legend QDI
Mobo Model Advance-9
CPU Intel Celeron 802 Mhz
FSB 100 MHz
3D Accelerator NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
Driver Version 4.13.01.1200
Video Memory 0 MB
Resolution 1024x768 32bit
Texture Format Compressed
FSAA Disabled
Z-Buffer Depth 24bit
Frame Buffer Double
Rendering Pipeline D3D Hardware T&L

3DMark Result 1304 3D marks

Is the video memory "0" a typing error???? dosen't sound good at all.
Also in your bios you need to set your AGP graphics appeture size to half of your installed RAM.
Also what drivers are you running. You should be running the 10.80, 11.000 or the 12.00 detonator drivers.
Turn off V-sync in D3D and OpenGL,Use page flip mode in OpenGL.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 04/22/01 08:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

That video memory was 32MB with older detonator drivers. After i updated to detanator v12.00 it changed to '0'. My appeture size is now 128MB.
I changed the D3D and OpenGL settings you mentioned and run the test again. Score was 1330. So i still have a lousy system. Any other ideas ? Thanks for these anyway.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your Geforce 2 MX400 should be scoring way better than that even on a Celeron system. With that 1304 score it almost sounds like AGP isn't working. Have you loaded the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers and, in doing so, set the AGP mode to Turbo?

G

Yes, i have VIA 4 in 1 v4.29, just installed (with turbo option). SiSoft utilities recognizes my 2X AGP (133MHz), i don't know if that proofs anything. With latest NVIDIA detonator and these latest VIA drivers 3D marks gave me 1340 marks. That's a bit more than 1304 but not what i would like it to be with this configuration. I'm just out of ideas. Is there any BIOS settings that could effect this much ?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a big performance hit. I don't think Sandra really detects AGP speed but just picks up BIOS settings. AGP 2X is probably working.

Here's one more idea. Check the BIOS settings and make sure AGP Aperture is not set to less the 32MB. If it is, your video card will operate as if it is were a PCI card. Normally, AGP aperture is set to 1/2 of system memory, by default.

Now, I'm out of ideas.

G

My AGP aperture size is 128MB which is half of system memory. Thanks a lot of your time anyway. I continue checking whatever comes to my mind. I just hope it doesn't get even worse.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I forgot about my favorite Geforce link. Maybe you can find some useful information at <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com</A>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is that the general rule for agp aperature size? half the system ram? i forgot the rule, thanks for reminding me. btw, why is it that it should be half your sytem ram? anyone know?

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
This is a long shot but also check in BIOS, check the setting for your primary display. Mine was default to PCI not AGP, even with a AGP card in the AGP slot. Oh and about that AGP aperature size, does that 1/2 rule apply even when you have 512MB ram? I mean that would make me have 256MB is that correct? I run it at 64MB now, which is size of ram on video card. I will try test with 256 tomarrow and let ya know.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
CPU Intel Celeron 802 Mhz

Is that a 100 mhz fsb celeron or are you overclocking something? Run the 3dmark2001 in default settings and report back

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also boot into safe mode and look for multiple occurances of diplay adapters. Try det vers 6.26 and 6.50 still some of the best. For comparison purposes you may want to post 3dmark 2000 scores as well.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I don't find that PCI/AGP setting at my BIOS, only which display to initialize first and that is set to AGP.
And what comes to that aperture size, i don't know what value is the right one. Somebody just adviced me that 1/2 of RAM would be good.

G

Your Card should be a 4x AGP card, however you say it is running in 2x? I believe that that is your major limiting factor.

I used to have windows 95 on my computer and for some reason, I was only allowed PCI videocard support (my system is a pentium III 700, TNT2 ultra) my videocard was supposed to be a 4x (3.3v) AGP device, however was limited by the operating system. At first I thought it was just a crummy video card, as my results were around 700. So I tried to overclock my video card, which led to <i>no preformance gain at all</i>. Only in theoratical fill rate. I immediatly suspected another problem. I tried switching to windows 98, and most my problems dissapeard. My score went from 700 to 1300 and 3Dmark finally recognized my videocard as AGP rather than PCI. MY motherboard only supports AGP 2x @3.3v and 4X at 1.5v. so I am currently limited to 2x.

I think your problem lies there, your cards transfer rate. It might be that your motherboard is low class, or, you just need to flash your BIOS. If you decide to flash your BIOS, BE VERY CAREFUL, and run scandisk on thorough mode on the floppy to make sure you dont write the BIOS to a bad sector of the disk.

However before you try any of this, you might want to try and download powerstrip v3.0b (http://www.entechtaiwan.com about 500kilobytes) This program can occasionally force AGP 4x transfer modes. As well as add videocard overclocking options. Once you download it go "options" then "adapter information" then check on AGP 4x transer mode as well as sideband adressing if it is not already checked.

Hope this helps.

G

Yes my card is AGP 4X but my mobo only supports AGP 2X (also bios). Is a new mobo only solution or can i do something to speed up the old one ? And is this the main reason for slow graphics and poor marks with 3Dmarks (about 1300) ?

G

I tried det v. 6.50 but it didn't help. With v.12.00 3dmark 2001 gave a little bit better results. Since i installed those det v12.00, i have had another monitor showing in my device manager (unknown monitor), but it does not seem to do any harm.

G

I wouldn't worry about that other monitor you are seeing, your monitor was just redetected after you changed the drivers, and It kept a copy of the original detected monitor.

What is your current system configuration?