Restored SP1 over SP2 - Help!

Hi,

Yesterday I used a system rescue disk to fix a problem with my sound
drivers. The type of rescue was a non-destructive one - one that keeps
all your files and programs but re-installs the original operating
system and pre-installed software.I was running SP2 before the install
and the rescue CD i have has installed SP1. Now the computer seems to
be running a bit of both SP1 and SP2. I can't start the system restore
program because the System Restore service keeps failing to start. I
can't do a complete install/uninstall of SP2 because the Microsoft
Installer Service also fails to start. I also get numerous errors at
start up with processes that are used by my antivirus and printer.
Could anybody suggest a way to fix this, maybe to install/reinstall SP2
without needing the MSI Service?

Thanks.

Im running an advent 3215 machine. The restore disk was provided by
advent and appears to be manafactured by them with their branding
printed on the disk. I have tried to do a slipstream disk myself but
most of the services on my PC are failing to start making this task
impossible. I think the best thing to do like you said is call them and
get an updated version of their restore disk.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

If you're information is accurate, that's very odd since normally a Windows
install will refuse to install over a newer SP level. I'd be very
interested to know exactly what model computer this is. If it's an OEM
customized restore disk, it is a serious programming blunder to allow this.

I think your best bet would be to do another repair reinstall using a
Windows XP version with slipstreamed Service Pack 2. Perhaps you should
contact the manufacturer and see if they could provide an updated restore
media. Other than that, maybe running system file checker (sfc) would be
worth a try.
--

"Robin Murphy" <robin.email@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I used a system rescue disk to fix a problem with my sound
> drivers. The type of rescue was a non-destructive one - one that keeps
> all your files and programs but re-installs the original operating
> system and pre-installed software.I was running SP2 before the install
> and the rescue CD i have has installed SP1. Now the computer seems to
> be running a bit of both SP1 and SP2. I can't start the system restore
> program because the System Restore service keeps failing to start. I
> can't do a complete install/uninstall of SP2 because the Microsoft
> Installer Service also fails to start. I also get numerous errors at
> start up with processes that are used by my antivirus and printer.
> Could anybody suggest a way to fix this, maybe to install/reinstall SP2
> without needing the MSI Service?
>
> Thanks.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Thaks for the info. Good luck.
--

> Im running an advent 3215 machine. The restore disk was provided by
> advent and appears to be manafactured by them with their branding
> printed on the disk. I have tried to do a slipstream disk myself but
> most of the services on my PC are failing to start making this task
> impossible. I think the best thing to do like you said is call them and
> get an updated version of their restore disk.

Just thought I would include a build number if anyone wanted to
investigate further. I have already ordered a restore cd from my
computer manafacturer.

Version 5,1 Build2600.xpsp1.020828-1920 : Service Pack 2

This is strange because the build has "xpsp1" in it and "Service Pack
2"

Hopefully a new disk will fix the problem though.