Can ping web sites...cannot access via web???

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 10, 2004 11:06:49 PM

Bellsouth.net ISP
Siemens Router
One desktop connected to router via ethernet
Belkin Wireless Access Point connected to router
Cisco PCMCIA wireless adapter on the laptop - connected to Wireless
Access Point

Trying to get wireless access at the house for my laptop that I take
home from work... my "router app" (Cisco aironet??) on the laptop says
the connection is excellent. I can ping the router gateway, I can ping
yahoo.com, but when I try to access a web site via the browser, it
just runs and times out... I cannot access a web site via the
browser...

To make the issue even weirder - I can access my corp VPN application
wirelessly (why???), I can get to the corp network, and THEN I can get
to the web no problem. (and I use the same computer at work, and
there are no issues there, hooked up wired or wireless...)

I have also hopped on other wireless networks before (Starbucks,
neighbors...) with no issues.

Not sure how to identify/isolate the issue... Any suggestions would be
helpful, as my wife is starting to get upset at the telephone wire
running down the hall!!
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:28:30 AM

"Frank" <dyerfr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Bellsouth.net ISP
> Siemens Router
> One desktop connected to router via ethernet
> Belkin Wireless Access Point connected to router
> Cisco PCMCIA wireless adapter on the laptop - connected to Wireless
> Access Point
>
> Trying to get wireless access at the house for my laptop that I take
> home from work... my "router app" (Cisco aironet??) on the laptop says
> the connection is excellent. I can ping the router gateway, I can ping
> yahoo.com, but when I try to access a web site via the browser, it
> just runs and times out... I cannot access a web site via the
> browser...
>
> To make the issue even weirder - I can access my corp VPN application
> wirelessly (why???), I can get to the corp network, and THEN I can get
> to the web no problem. (and I use the same computer at work, and
> there are no issues there, hooked up wired or wireless...)
>
> I have also hopped on other wireless networks before (Starbucks,
> neighbors...) with no issues.
>
> Not sure how to identify/isolate the issue... Any suggestions would be
> helpful, as my wife is starting to get upset at the telephone wire
> running down the hall!!

Does the browser by chance have some particular proxy settings added?
Sometimes, corporate VPN installs add proxies that aren't available outside
of the VPN - and this prevents access. In Internet Explorer, these settings
can be found under Tools, Internet Options, Connections, <select a
connection> Settings - and also under LAN settings. Make careful note of
those settings, because you'll probably need them to operate *inside* the
VPN.

If this is the case for you, some people work around it by installing
another browser (say, Netscape) for use outside of the VPN.

HTH
-pk
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:40:30 PM

Just a hunch but my guess would be that you have DNS entries under you
network connection settings. a DNS server is a domain name server that
tells your browser what ip a site is using.

Do a ping to a site such as yahoo and you should see its ip address
66.94.230.38. Type this into your browser address bar and see if you
connect. If you do connect then it is a DNS issue.

dyerfr@yahoo.com (Frank) wrote in message news:<b542d61.0405101806.1f6b99b6@posting.google.com>...
> Bellsouth.net ISP
> Siemens Router
> One desktop connected to router via ethernet
> Belkin Wireless Access Point connected to router
> Cisco PCMCIA wireless adapter on the laptop - connected to Wireless
> Access Point
>
> Trying to get wireless access at the house for my laptop that I take
> home from work... my "router app" (Cisco aironet??) on the laptop says
> the connection is excellent. I can ping the router gateway, I can ping
> yahoo.com, but when I try to access a web site via the browser, it
> just runs and times out... I cannot access a web site via the
> browser...
>
> To make the issue even weirder - I can access my corp VPN application
> wirelessly (why???), I can get to the corp network, and THEN I can get
> to the web no problem. (and I use the same computer at work, and
> there are no issues there, hooked up wired or wireless...)
>
> I have also hopped on other wireless networks before (Starbucks,
> neighbors...) with no issues.
>
> Not sure how to identify/isolate the issue... Any suggestions would be
> helpful, as my wife is starting to get upset at the telephone wire
> running down the hall!!
May 13, 2004 7:26:53 AM

I had a similar problem. I was able to surf to many web pages without a
problem, but some pages would get hung before downloading all the page
elements. It turned out that the Stateful Packet Inspection firewall
thought that I was performing an outbound denial-of-service attack on the
web-sites. Sites such as amazon.com caused my browser to open so many new
TCP connections within a few milliseconds that the router's firewall
interpreted that as an attack. Check your router log.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> dyerfr@yahoo.com (Frank) wrote in message
> > Bellsouth.net ISP
> > Siemens Router
> > One desktop connected to router via ethernet
> > Belkin Wireless Access Point connected to router
> > Cisco PCMCIA wireless adapter on the laptop - connected to Wireless
> > Access Point
> >
> > Trying to get wireless access at the house for my laptop that I take
> > home from work... my "router app" (Cisco aironet??) on the laptop says
> > the connection is excellent. I can ping the router gateway, I can ping
> > yahoo.com, but when I try to access a web site via the browser, it
> > just runs and times out... I cannot access a web site via the
> > browser...
> >
> > To make the issue even weirder - I can access my corp VPN application
> > wirelessly (why???), I can get to the corp network, and THEN I can get
> > to the web no problem. (and I use the same computer at work, and
> > there are no issues there, hooked up wired or wireless...)
> >
> > I have also hopped on other wireless networks before (Starbucks,
> > neighbors...) with no issues.
May 13, 2004 2:31:30 PM

If your running a windows box and it's a dns issue. Of coarse make
sure your dns servers are working correctly. Then go into command
prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns. That always works for me.
!