Dial up icons disappear

All the icons under dial up networking have suddenly disappeared.

Also, when I try to add a new dial up connection, I am only given the
option "connect through a broadband connecton that is always on". The
options "connect through a dail up modem" and "connect through a
broadband connecton that requires a user name and password".

I run WinXP SP2.
3 answers Last reply
More about dial icons disappear

    The 2nd para should read:

    The options "connect through a dail up modem" and "connect through a
    broadband connecton that requires a user name and password" are
    'dimmed' and not available for selection.

    You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329441

    Dial-up Modem or PPPoE Option in New Connection Wizard Is Unavailable
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "fizzgas" <evansjd2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > The 2nd para should read:
    >
    > The options "connect through a dail up modem" and "connect through a
    > broadband connecton that requires a user name and password" are
    > 'dimmed' and not available for selection.

    I have tried the KB articles without success. I have been doing some
    searches. This seems not an uncommon problem.

    One step that is always recommended is checking that Remote Access
    Connection Manager is started, also Remote Access Auto Connection
    Manager and Telephony.

    However, when trying to start Remote Access Connection Manager, I get

    "could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on local
    computer.
    Error 5: Access is denied".

    The recommended remedy is to do a repair reinstall of WIn XP. Not what
    I wanted to hear, really.

Connection Dial Up Connection Icons Windows XP