Dial up icons disappear

All the icons under dial up networking have suddenly disappeared.

Also, when I try to add a new dial up connection, I am only given the
option "connect through a broadband connecton that is always on". The
options "connect through a dail up modem" and "connect through a
broadband connecton that requires a user name and password".

I run WinXP SP2.

The 2nd para should read:

The options "connect through a dail up modem" and "connect through a
broadband connecton that requires a user name and password" are
'dimmed' and not available for selection.

You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329441

Dial-up Modem or PPPoE Option in New Connection Wizard Is Unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320558

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"fizzgas" <evansjd2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> The 2nd para should read:
>
> The options "connect through a dail up modem" and "connect through a
> broadband connecton that requires a user name and password" are
> 'dimmed' and not available for selection.

I have tried the KB articles without success. I have been doing some
searches. This seems not an uncommon problem.

One step that is always recommended is checking that Remote Access
Connection Manager is started, also Remote Access Auto Connection
Manager and Telephony.

However, when trying to start Remote Access Connection Manager, I get

"could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on local
computer.
Error 5: Access is denied".

The recommended remedy is to do a repair reinstall of WIn XP. Not what
I wanted to hear, really.