file is missing or corrupt error

I am receiving the following error on my desktop system running Windows XP
home

File is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I understand that this may be a problem with the system registry and that I
will need to try running the recovery console to correct the problem.
Trouble is now that I'm in the Recovery console I'm not sure what to do to
try and correct the problem.

thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about file missing corrupt error

    Ryan Young wrote:
    > I am receiving the following error on my desktop system running Windows XP
    > home
    >
    > File is missing or corrupt
    >
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    >
    > I understand that this may be a problem with the system registry and that I
    > will need to try running the recovery console to correct the problem.
    > Trouble is now that I'm in the Recovery console I'm not sure what to do to
    > try and correct the problem.
    >
    > thanks in advance

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Ok, I've got Windows to reboot, now I'm running into this:

    Note You may receive the following error message:
    C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
    If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
    309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to the
    System Volume Information folder

    and I can't get access to the folder, even though I've changed the viewing
    properties

    Ryan Young wrote:
    > Ok, I've got Windows to reboot, now I'm running into this:
    >
    > Note You may receive the following error message:
    > C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
    > If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    > article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
    > 309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to the
    > System Volume Information folder
    >
    > and I can't get access to the folder, even though I've changed the viewing
    > properties

    Changing the viewing properties won't affect file access, from a
    security point-of-view. Are you using an account with administrative
    privileges? Have you tried using the method using CACLS.EXE from the
    command prompt?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    When booting in Safe mode, I did go in as Administrator. I have never used
    CACLS.EXE. What would I use for a command line string? In safe mode or
    boot to a command prompt (using F8 at startup) or just run a command prompt
    in Windows?

    > Ryan Young wrote:
    >> Ok, I've got Windows to reboot, now I'm running into this:
    >>
    >> Note You may receive the following error message:
    >> C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
    >> If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    >> article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
    >> 309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to
    >> the System Volume Information folder
    >>
    >> and I can't get access to the folder, even though I've changed the
    >> viewing properties
    >>

    > Changing the viewing properties won't affect file access, from a security
    > point-of-view. Are you using an account with administrative privileges?
    > Have you tried using the method using CACLS.EXE from the command prompt?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Thanks to everyone - my system is up and running! Got to love these groups
    and the people!

    "Ryan Young" <ryoung14@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am receiving the following error on my desktop system running Windows XP
    >home
    >
    > File is missing or corrupt
    >
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    >
    > I understand that this may be a problem with the system registry and that
    > I will need to try running the recovery console to correct the problem.
    > Trouble is now that I'm in the Recovery console I'm not sure what to do to
    > try and correct the problem.
    >
    > thanks in advance

Recovery Console Windows XP