Tags:
  • Recovery Console
  • Windows XP
July 23, 2005 2:12:26 PM

I am receiving the following error on my desktop system running Windows XP
home

File is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I understand that this may be a problem with the system registry and that I
will need to try running the recovery console to correct the problem.
Trouble is now that I'm in the Recovery console I'm not sure what to do to
try and correct the problem.

thanks in advance

More about : file missing corrupt error

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:12:27 PM

Ryan Young wrote:
> I am receiving the following error on my desktop system running Windows XP
> home
>
> File is missing or corrupt
>
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I understand that this may be a problem with the system registry and that I
> will need to try running the recovery console to correct the problem.
> Trouble is now that I'm in the Recovery console I'm not sure what to do to
> try and correct the problem.
>
> thanks in advance

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:19:30 PM

Ok, I've got Windows to reboot, now I'm running into this:

Note You may receive the following error message:
C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to the
System Volume Information folder

and I can't get access to the folder, even though I've changed the viewing
properties

news:o JcCZl5jFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Ryan Young wrote:
>> I am receiving the following error on my desktop system running Windows
>> XP home
>>
>> File is missing or corrupt
>>
>> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>>
>> I understand that this may be a problem with the system registry and that
>> I will need to try running the recovery console to correct the problem.
>> Trouble is now that I'm in the Recovery console I'm not sure what to do
>> to try and correct the problem.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>

> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
> Starting
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
>
> Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:
>
> How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
July 23, 2005 4:36:08 PM

Ryan Young wrote:
> Ok, I've got Windows to reboot, now I'm running into this:
>
> Note You may receive the following error message:
> C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
> If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
> article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
> 309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to the
> System Volume Information folder
>
> and I can't get access to the folder, even though I've changed the viewing
> properties

Changing the viewing properties won't affect file access, from a
security point-of-view. Are you using an account with administrative
privileges? Have you tried using the method using CACLS.EXE from the
command prompt?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:59:34 PM

When booting in Safe mode, I did go in as Administrator. I have never used
CACLS.EXE. What would I use for a command line string? In safe mode or
boot to a command prompt (using F8 at startup) or just run a command prompt
in Windows?

> Ryan Young wrote:
>> Ok, I've got Windows to reboot, now I'm running into this:
>>
>> Note You may receive the following error message:
>> C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
>> If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
>> article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
>> 309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to
>> the System Volume Information folder
>>
>> and I can't get access to the folder, even though I've changed the
>> viewing properties
>>

> Changing the viewing properties won't affect file access, from a security
> point-of-view. Are you using an account with administrative privileges?
> Have you tried using the method using CACLS.EXE from the command prompt?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:19:41 PM

Thanks to everyone - my system is up and running! Got to love these groups
and the people!