Win2000 + GeForce2GTS, Problem

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi

I have just upgraded from win98 to win2000. The problem I am having is with games. The machine is otherwise working fine.

The first problem (and biggest problem) is with Diablo II. If I try to run this game in 3d mode, it runs first for a minute or so but the screen is blothched and distorted. Then the whole machine locks up. Only the reset button can get the machine going again.

The second problem is with Quake III. It is very very dark. So dark that it is unplayable.

The Quake problem is not the end of the world. My guess is that there will be a registry fix for this. But the Diablo problem is very bad and my concern is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. What will happen when I install the next game or the one after or the one after that.

I have downloaded and installed ALL the latest drivers for my various hardware bits.

- Detonator 3 6.5(the latest)
- Via 4in1 drivers 4.29
- Xitel Storm Platinum (vortex2 sound card) drivers. (the latest. i forget the version)

It could be worth mentioning here that the sound card is also giving me no end of problems. It does not work in Diablo II. Could this be related to my video card problem?

Has anyone had a similiar problem with this OS and video card? (or sound card?).

Thanks..

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, I fixed it.

I write this post for those that may come after me with the same problem.

Firstly, Microsoft has acknoledged a problem with win2000 and Via chipsset and have posted a 'fix'. You can get it at....

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q261/6/06.asp

Secondly, as this first solution made the machine run better but did not eliminate the problem, I kept looking and trying things.

Go to the bios and set the AGP from 4x TO 2x.

Simple as that. Odd that the the 4x settting worked perfectly when win98 was on the machine. It really was the last thing I thought to change.

Oh, and how could i forget. I found a fix for the sound card problem as well. I would never have worked this one out. You can read all about it at....

http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=49648&messageid=987280319

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

G

DUDE!..if this fixes my headache, I'll have to shake your hand..hehe.:) *crosses fingers*

DT

Motivation is half the battle to success..personal intiative completes the process..:)